Batman: Lawful Good, or Chaotic Good?

jensenthejman

Aug 22, 2011
Which D&D character type do consider him to be? He does step outside the bounds of ethics -- such as in the Dark Knight. He regularly hides his plans from his peers(like in Justice League: Doom). Yet he is also all about he natural order of things, and maintaining the peace. So again: which is he?

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
captcha: "PANIC STATIONS"
Indeed captcha, indeed. This is a devilish question.

Hmm. I'd like to say chaotic good, There's a reason he keeps Kryptonite in the bat cave after all. Just in case. Can never get my head around Bat man really, i like him that way. I still remember the way he acted in "Under the red hood" at the finale. So awesome.

Oh oh actually, Bat man would be Lawful good, but Night Owl would be Choatic good? and there was always a thin difference between the two.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Well he's supposed to be the opposite of the joker and he's Chaotic Evil, so... uhh... Lawful Good? I agree with DarkRyter it really depends on the writer. A Lawful Good Vigilante seems odd though.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Let me put it this way: The answer to the question "What is Batman's [D&D] alignment" is "YES".

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
DarkRyter said:
Depends on the writer, honestly.
Each writer/adaptation has their own version of Batman, therefore a different alignment.

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
Ha, the moment I saw the thread title I knew that chart would appear.

But anyway, he's Lawful Good. The alignments aren't strict one-dimensional characters, and no single action puts you one place or another. Generally speaking, Batman tries to bring order; hold the guilty to account. That's Lawful Good.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
jensenthejman said:
Which D&D character type do consider him to be? He does step outside the bounds of ethics -- such as in the Dark Knight. He regularly hides his plans from his peers(like in Justice League: Doom). Yet he is also all about he natural order of things, and maintaining the peace. So again: which is he?
Which is Batman?

Batman is all of the alignments! :

But seriously I would say that he is currently(if I'm going by the movies) Chaotic Good.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
WoW Killer said:
But anyway, he's Lawful Good. The alignments aren't strict one-dimensional characters, and no single action puts you one place or another. Generally speaking, Batman tries to bring order; hold the guilty to account. That's Lawful Good.
Agreed. Alignment only gives you a very basic two dimensional concept. Batman's driving force is justice and order (or if you're more negative control), even if he may not completely work within the confines of the law.

May 7, 2008
I have to question the good part after all Bruce Wayne could easily fund a study to cure the dieseace that Mr Freeze's wife is suffering. Batman could then beat up Mr. Freeze and make im the offer join the study and save his wife thus removing a super criminal from the stres of Gotham City.

Personal opinion Batman Chaotic Neutral

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
I'd say neutral good, actually (though it does change depending on the writer). He seems to try and be lawful, but he'll ignore laws if he needs to.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
OP, a word of advice, never try to apply D&D alignments outside of D&D. It just doesn't work. As you see from the chart (which has been posted several times already), you just can't apply it in this situation, nor in pretty much any other.

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
Depending on the writer I usually see Batman as either Neutral Good, Chaotic Good, or Chaotic Neutral.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Hes all the alignments, dependent on writer as others said.

But more importantly I need to stop him once and for all, damn Batman.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Top Hat said:
Chaotic good. He's a vigilante; he is NOT lawful.
I'd say it makes sense that a lawful character might see taking up vigilantism to put away dangerous criminals as being the lesser of two evils and go for it. After all, half of Gotham's police force is corrupt anyway.
Although I do agree with you anyway. Chaotic good seems more appropriate.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
I think the question is wrong.

It should probably be

LAWFUL GOOD or NEUTRAL GOOD,

of which I would probably say he's NEUTRAL GOOD.

I think Batman is more of a neutral good, as his wealth and mindset don't care about kings and queens and presidents and rulers, he's a free radical, but not radical enough to be chaotic. Also, as a non super-human hero, he's all about helping others, so there.