Batman v Superman Director Zack Snyder Defends Aquaman

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
24,759
0
0
80sboy said:
I blame t on Family Guy. Just because that show made a joke on how useless Aquaman is, everyone now thinks it's clever doing the same. Basing their opinion on a silly cartoon. Lol
People were saying it well before Family Guy.

...Like most Family Guy jokes, really.

Aaaaaaanyway, I don't hate Aquaman or think he's useless, but the character never grabbed me.
 

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
2,368
0
0
And then there was that one time they gave Aquaman the grimdark 90's makeover [http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090317075100/marvel_dc/images/4/40/Aquaman_0014.jpg] where he had long hair and a hook for a hand.

And then there was that one time they replaced the hook hand with a hand made of water [http://www.cnv.co.il/dude/pics/aquaman.jpg] that gives him a Grim Reaper-esque touch of death.

Let's face it, they wrote Aquaman into a corner long ago, and has since lodged him firmly in the "trying too hard" category of superhero facelifts.

Super strength is not an impressive superpower. Every goddamn superhero has super stregth. The ones that don't usually have something else to make up for it (speed, magic, technology, etc). This would be like saying "Aquaman's power is that he can stay ageless for 60+ years, and he can cheat death whenever he wants!"

The worst part is that he's affiliated with a team where one of the members is almost literally God. He might as well just be the Justice League's secretary [http://www.blastr.com/sites/blastr/files/styles/blog_post_in_content_image/public/AllStarComics13.jpg].
 

GamerKT

New member
Jul 27, 2009
257
0
0
aegix drakan said:
...Still, gotta be said that the Flash is the only non-batman DC superhero I give a fraction of a damn about.
Is the New 52 Flash a good place to start with him?
 

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
16,755
0
0
Make a good movie following him. Then, I'll care. Until then, he's a character with potential that no one knows how to write.

80sboy said:
I blame t on Family Guy. Just because that show made a joke on how useless Aquaman is, everyone now thinks it's clever doing the same. Basing their opinion on a silly cartoon. Lol
Family Guy wasn't the only thing to make fun of Aquaman. Hell, Cartoon Network and the Powerpuff Girls made fun of him.

 

thewatergamer

New member
Aug 4, 2012
647
0
0
I may not like Zacks movies that much but its nice to see him actually standing up for aqua man, and I agree he gets way to much flak, hes a really decent superhero IMO
 

008Zulu_v1legacy

New member
Sep 6, 2009
6,019
0
0
*A chorus of children sing out...* Zack loves Aquaman!

OT; Ok, so we got Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Flash in this movie now. Are they sure they don't want to rename it as the Justice League movie and be done with it?
 

Elijah Newton

New member
Sep 17, 2008
456
0
0
Zachary Amaranth said:
80sboy said:
I blame t on Family Guy. Just because that show made a joke on how useless Aquaman is, everyone now thinks it's clever doing the same. Basing their opinion on a silly cartoon. Lol
People were saying it well before Family Guy.
Thank you, sir, for saying this so I didn't have to.

I don't care too strongly about this myself. I did sort of like his cameo in Kingdom Come and at best could see a sort of Grant Morrison Animal Man thing with the character.

I could do with seeing more Seaman. By all means, let's have Seaman all over the new movie. I sure audiences will love Zack Snyder's Seaman.

Now I ask you - is there enough branding in the world to avoid seeing the above juvenilia a million times over should the character wind up in a movie, however cool his powers are or whatever clever plot gimmick they give him?
 

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
24,759
0
0
Elijah Newton said:
I don't care too strongly about this myself. I did sort of like his cameo in Kingdom Come and at best could see a sort of Grant Morrison Animal Man thing with the character.
The best thing is, I'm sure there are people out there who cold make an interesting Aquaman movie, or movie with aquaman in it. I mean, Justice League (the cartoon) made me interested in a lot of characters I normally didn't pay attention to. I just don't think Snyder and Goyer are the folks to do it. Now, if they really get Ronan...I mean, Jason Momoa, I'll be more inclined to give it a shot, but it's still David Goyer and Zack Snyder.
 

Sidmen

New member
Jul 3, 2012
180
0
0
008Zulu said:
*A chorus of children sing out...* Zack loves Aquaman!

OT; Ok, so we got Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Flash in this movie now. Are they sure they don't want to rename it as the Justice League movie and be done with it?
They pretty much did: Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice. It may as well be called "The Dawn of the Justice League".

But since they are (rightfully) worried that nobody remembers the Justice League, they need to put their two major characters in the name for the star power.
 

Winnosh

New member
Sep 23, 2010
492
0
0
Scrythe said:
And then there was that one time they gave Aquaman the grimdark 90's makeover [http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090317075100/marvel_dc/images/4/40/Aquaman_0014.jpg] where he had long hair and a hook for a hand.

And then there was that one time they replaced the hook hand with a hand made of water [http://www.cnv.co.il/dude/pics/aquaman.jpg] that gives him a Grim Reaper-esque touch of death.

Let's face it, they wrote Aquaman into a corner long ago, and has since lodged him firmly in the "trying too hard" category of superhero facelifts.

Super strength is not an impressive superpower. Every goddamn superhero has super stregth. The ones that don't usually have something else to make up for it (speed, magic, technology, etc). This would be like saying "Aquaman's power is that he can stay ageless for 60+ years, and he can cheat death whenever he wants!"

The worst part is that he's affiliated with a team where one of the members is almost literally God. He might as well just be the Justice League's secretary [http://www.blastr.com/sites/blastr/files/styles/blog_post_in_content_image/public/AllStarComics13.jpg].
Super Strength isn't his only power, heightened speed, mid level invulnerability, telepathy, The mortal champion of the god Posideon, King of one of the most technologically and magically advanced nations on the planet. Access and use of some of the most powerful weapons on the planet. One of the best hand to hand combatants in DC Ect Ect Ect.
 

Falterfire

New member
Jul 9, 2012
810
0
0
So my favorite article on Aquaman is definitely the one by Chris Sims [http://comicsalliance.com/ask-chris-137-aquaman-super-friends-justice-league/].

In my own opinion Aquaman's problem is that at this point he exists to do one of two things: Either to be the terrible punchline or to exist solely as a 'no really guys he's awesome I swear' version of the character.

A really badass character doesn't need everybody to constantly stand up and defend him: He (or she) will just be badass without needing everybody to gesture constantly at the audience and go "Yeah? Wasn't that cool? It was, wasn't it?"
 

Super Cyborg

New member
Jul 25, 2014
474
0
0
aegix drakan said:
I've liked the guy since my (now ex) GF lent me the first of the new 52 comics about him.

He's actually pretty cool, especially when he reacts really mellow whenever everyone treats him like a joke.

...Still, gotta be said that the Flash is the only non-batman DC superhero I give a fraction of a damn about.
After watching the JLA show last year, as well as Young Justice and a number of the animated movies, Flash is one of the few I actually liked when it came to the original members. I'm convinced that they would be better not using Superman, Wonder Woman, and possibly Batman for their movies, because I really don't care for them as much as the others and they there seems to be much more potential for the others. I feel like doing movies based on the younger hero's would be better, because Young Justice was so good. You had younger, more inexperienced hero's that lived in the shadows of their mentors, and had to constantly prove themselves. It was also good because they would team up to cover for each others weaknesses, and had to be more careful and plan much more.

Flash Point Paradox was my favorite DC animated movie, of the ones I've seen so far. That one really showed what Aquaman can be capable of, especially as a villain. It also focused on the Flash who is one of the best hero's of DC.
 

wulfy42

New member
Jan 29, 2009
771
0
0
I always thought it was kinda funny that Aquaman was made fun of, since in many ways he was almost as powerful as superman, and more powerful then most of the rest of the JLA. He, like superman, can withstand bullets, he has super strength (not sure how it compares to supermans, but it's enough to get the job done most of the time). He has super speed while in the water at least (in theory he should be faster on land as well, but he never seemed to have that ability). He has telepathic abilities, at some points even able to be used on humans. While he can't fly, he can....do the equivalent in water, and he has the ability to use marine life...and his army to great effect. He has more technology at his disposal then batman (even if you rarely see him use it), and he has enhanced senses as well (sonar like a dolphin/bat, excellent/super eyesight etc).

The submariner (namor) is, in theory, less powerful then aquaman, yet was always given more respect and considered more powerful by readers (or at least seemed that way to me).
 

chocolate pickles

New member
Apr 14, 2011
432
0
0
WhiteTigerShiro said:
chocolate pickles said:
"The cool thing with Aquaman is he has his trident."

Oh shit guys, watch out! A trident! Who can save us from this weapon from weapon of mass destruction? Apart from, you know, the guy who tanks actually tanks and shoots lasers from his eyes.
Congratulations on cherry-picking a single sentence that was clearly not rehearsed ahead of time (it was him just talking), and not only omitting the follow-up sentences that give support to the sentence, but apparently not even reading them based on your "Superman could kick his trident's ass" counter.


Gordon_4 said:
Aquaman can and does go toe to toe with the man of steel; he's also king of a nation who's naval power is to the world at large, comparable to the British Empire at the height of their capability. Their technology is also highly advanced and they still command sorcery, a well known weakness of Superman.

He's a badass, end story.
Gonna lay my cards on the table: That was less a jab at Aquaman (who i don't really have anything against btw), and more a jab at Snyder - If he's going to try and defend a character (hell, it could have been superman in this context), then he SHOULD at least rehearse it and not come at with daft lines like that. yes, i know there was followup explanation, but to be honest, this whole statement seems poorly planned and written in general, and honestly does not do a good job of trying to defend the character.

As for my supposed "Superman could kick his trident's ass" counter (never actually said that, but whatever) - I'm not a comics expert, and will never claim to be an expert on the subject. However, what knowledge i do have is of Superman's portrayal in the film, and how he clearly had some high level feats and powers. Until we actually see Aquaman in the movie (if he IS in the movie), then we will never be able to say who wins a fight between the two. Sure, you can theorize all you want from the info in the comics, but look at how badly Nolan batman ended up differentiating from his comic counterparts - Aquaman could be seriously de-powered or buffed in the movie. However, i do feel it is safe to speculate that considering Superman's portrayal, he will be able to give aquaman a worthy fight at the least.
 

Gordon_4_v1legacy

New member
Aug 22, 2010
2,577
0
0
chocolate pickles said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
chocolate pickles said:
"The cool thing with Aquaman is he has his trident."

Oh shit guys, watch out! A trident! Who can save us from this weapon from weapon of mass destruction? Apart from, you know, the guy who tanks actually tanks and shoots lasers from his eyes.
Congratulations on cherry-picking a single sentence that was clearly not rehearsed ahead of time (it was him just talking), and not only omitting the follow-up sentences that give support to the sentence, but apparently not even reading them based on your "Superman could kick his trident's ass" counter.


Gordon_4 said:
Aquaman can and does go toe to toe with the man of steel; he's also king of a nation who's naval power is to the world at large, comparable to the British Empire at the height of their capability. Their technology is also highly advanced and they still command sorcery, a well known weakness of Superman.

He's a badass, end story.
Gonna lay my cards on the table: That was less a jab at Aquaman (who i don't really have anything against btw), and more a jab at Snyder - If he's going to try and defend a character (hell, it could have been superman in this context), then he SHOULD at least rehearse it and not come at with daft lines like that. yes, i know there was followup explanation, but to be honest, this whole statement seems poorly planned and written in general, and honestly does not do a good job of trying to defend the character.

As for my supposed "Superman could kick his trident's ass" counter (never actually said that, but whatever) - I'm not a comics expert, and will never claim to be an expert on the subject. However, what knowledge i do have is of Superman's portrayal in the film, and how he clearly had some high level feats and powers. Until we actually see Aquaman in the movie (if he IS in the movie), then we will never be able to say who wins a fight between the two. Sure, you can theorize all you want from the info in the comics, but look at how badly Nolan batman ended up differentiating from his comic counterparts - Aquaman could be seriously de-powered or buffed in the movie. However, i do feel it is safe to speculate that considering Superman's portrayal, he will be able to give aquaman a worthy fight at the least.
Oh, well don't I just feel silly then :p

That's cool, Aquaman as a character got a bad rep thanks to the old Superfriends cartoon. Thankfully, recent portrayals in the DCAU, Batman the Brave and the Bold and Young Justice cartoons went a long way to improving his image to casual watchers. Comic fans have had several very excellent runs and takes on the character so he never quite suffered the same to that crowd.
 

WhiteTigerShiro

New member
Sep 26, 2008
2,366
0
0
chocolate pickles said:
Gonna lay my cards on the table: That was less a jab at Aquaman (who i don't really have anything against btw), and more a jab at Snyder - If he's going to try and defend a character (hell, it could have been superman in this context), then he SHOULD at least rehearse it and not come at with daft lines like that. yes, i know there was followup explanation, but to be honest, this whole statement seems poorly planned and written in general, and honestly does not do a good job of trying to defend the character.
You're aware that this was a call-in to a radio show or something, right? By time he would have sat down and written down his thoughts and edited them to sound more concise, and suddenly the next show is on. Let's see your arguments be completely flawlessly-worded right on the spot.
 

chocolate pickles

New member
Apr 14, 2011
432
0
0
WhiteTigerShiro said:
chocolate pickles said:
Gonna lay my cards on the table: That was less a jab at Aquaman (who i don't really have anything against btw), and more a jab at Snyder - If he's going to try and defend a character (hell, it could have been superman in this context), then he SHOULD at least rehearse it and not come at with daft lines like that. yes, i know there was followup explanation, but to be honest, this whole statement seems poorly planned and written in general, and honestly does not do a good job of trying to defend the character.
You're aware that this was a call-in to a radio show or something, right? By time he would have sat down and written down his thoughts and edited them to sound more concise, and suddenly the next show is on. Let's see your arguments be completely flawlessly-worded right on the spot.
The difference being, my statements are not going to be read by the thousands. Type in 'Zack Snyder' or 'Aquaman' into Google, and his statement is on the top of the first page. It will be read by a considerable amount of people before it becomes old news, and like me, many will consider the statement poorly written and no real aid to the characters image.

Yes, i know he was on the spot, but the fact is he put himself into that position. Nobody is to blame for the statement other than himself.
 

SilverUchiha

New member
Dec 25, 2008
1,604
0
0
Firstly, I agree that Aquaman isn't the shittiest superhero ever. He may not be the most interesting, but he's certainly more capable than people give him credit for. Secondly, the reason this stereotype of "aquaman is shit" is because of that REALLY crappy old Superfriends cartoon, compounded with shows like Family Guy carrying the joke of that show and its iteration of characters even farther.

That being said, I think its funny he has to clarify "I'm not saying he's in the movie." If he's not in the movie, then don't even bother bringing up the subject.

What bugs me is we've heard talk about Wonder Woman being a descendant of Kryptons, and she'll be weaker than Superman. But now we're getting statements that AQUAMAN is capable of wounding Superman (meaning, on some level, he can be just as strong). Just pointing out something that seems fishy to me... no pun intended.
 

WhiteTigerShiro

New member
Sep 26, 2008
2,366
0
0
chocolate pickles said:
The difference being, my statements are not going to be read by the thousands. Type in 'Zack Snyder' or 'Aquaman' into Google, and his statement is on the top of the first page. It will be read by a considerable amount of people before it becomes old news, and like me, many will consider the statement poorly written and no real aid to the characters image.

Yes, i know he was on the spot, but the fact is he put himself into that position. Nobody is to blame for the statement other than himself.
I just think you're a little too eager to have a reason to slam on Zack Snyder, is all. Heaven forbid that a celebrity of any sort should call into a radio show on a whim and not be 100% eloquent in their word choice. Clearly he's a bad man because he can't spit-out rehearsed-sounding gold that sounds like it was read from a script on the spot.