'Batman v. Superman' Fallout: Warner Bros. Shakes Up Executive Roles

IOwnTheSpire

Jul 27, 2014
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/batman-v-superman-fallout-warner-895174?utm_source=twitter

"Jon Berg and Geoff Johns will co-run DC Films in an attempt to course-correct Warners' comic book movies."

Any thoughts on this?

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
The Burbank-based studio is making changes to the way it handles its DC Entertainment-centered films, giving oversight of the feature projects to a pair of executives and creating a dedicated division for the films.
Are you fucking kidding me? They're 4 movies (2 released so far) into a franchise that's supposed to be rivaling the MCU is scope, and they're just getting around to making a dedicated division.

For fucks sake, WB. I know you can't make a super hero movie for shit and your executives all majored in 'Meddling' in university, but I figured you could at least sort out the business side of things. Shit.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
The fact that they didn't see this coming astounding. I mean, come on! Everyone was telling them that they were screwing up!

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
If Geoff Johns is in charge, at least it'll stop any upcoming Green Lantern movies from being as sucky as the Ryan Reynolds one was.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Queen Michael said:
If Geoff Johns is in charge, at least it'll stop any upcoming Green Lantern movies from being as sucky as the Ryan Reynolds one was.
Wasn't he involved with that movie?

OT: I would prefer Bruce Timm, at least as a consultant. But then he doesn't have a very high opinion of DC and WB.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
Okay, so not only do you have two difference executives in charge of creating the "singular vision" but one is a businessman and currently a VP and the other is a comic writer that has been consulting on the DC TV shows and they both answer to different bosses. Huh?

AccursedTheory said:
The Burbank-based studio is making changes to the way it handles its DC Entertainment-centered films, giving oversight of the feature projects to a pair of executives and creating a dedicated division for the films.
Are you fucking kidding me? They're 4 movies (2 released so far) into a franchise that's supposed to be rivaling the MCU is scope, and they're just getting around to making a dedicated division.

For fucks sake, WB. I know you can't make a super hero movie for shit and your executives all majored in 'Meddling' in university, but I figured you could at least sort out the business side of things. Shit.
I don't know that that is necessarily fair. Firstly Man of Steel wasn't originally meant to be part of a shared universe, but when it was met with such a resounding "meh" WB decided to use it as the launching point, using Zach Snyder's vision as the measuring stick. And that was originally WB's plan, to have this be an extended universe, but it was mainly about each director's vision for each particular movie. The fact that their moving towards more centralized control shows that they are at least learning from their mistakes, but you have to wonder how that is going to affect their relationship with directors that were hired on the basis of them being allowed to just do their thing.

I'm guessing this is going to lead to some short term complications, but hopefully they can get over it, and it ends up being a more stable and higher quality long term product.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Bob_McMillan said:
Queen Michael said:
Wasn't he involved with that movie?
Yeah, he was the a co-producer and creative consultant. But that didn't give him as much influence over the movie as this is going to do.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
ANY change is good news. The 2 movies we've gotten were so bad that anything even worse won't make me hate them any less. Or put better I suppose, even "Plan 9" level movies won't make me think any less of the DC movies than I do now.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
Kyrian007 said:
ANY change is good news. The 2 movies we've gotten were so bad that anything even worse won't make me hate them any less. Or put better I suppose, even "Plan 9" level movies won't make me think any less of the DC movies than I do now.
At least those would be "so bad it's good".

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
mduncan50 said:
Kyrian007 said:
Fuck that I would not watch that back alley abortion that's Plan 9 from Outer Space in its entirty.

I feel sorry for people who "ironically" watch "BAAAAAAAAAAAD" movies like these:

And this:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
mduncan50 said:
Kyrian007 said:
Fuck that I would not watch that back alley abortion that's Plan 9 from Outer Space in its entirty.

I feel sorry for people who "ironically" watch "BAAAAAAAAAAAD" movies like these:

They're quite funny to watch if you riff them with a group like Rifftrax or Mystery Science Theater 3000. Watching them without comedic commentary I personally find unbearable. I have to mock them to enjoy them.

OT: Don't really care either way. Have no vested interest in Marvel or DC, so if they make shit, it's just a movie I won't go see. Since I already don't see many movies anyway, this isn't that big of a change for me.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
This pleases me.

I can't believe no one saw this coming or thought "hey, maybe we need someone to make a plan for our connected universe."

Hopefully with Geoff Johns partially at the helm we can see some much needed changes. I'm upgrading to cautiously optimistic from disappointed apathy.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
So the rushed, ill-advised cash grab failed to perform? Yeah, time to rethink the strategy.

I haven't actually liked a DC movie since Batman Begins, so it's just been one endless line of failures since then. You'd think that after what happened with both Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel someone somewhere would have taken a time out and went 'hey, are doing this wrong?' Instead they ran off half-cocked chasing all that sweet fanboy money and got their asses handed to them by marvel.

When I heard BvS got surpassed in revenue by Zootopia, I immediately assumed a whole bunch of people at WB/DC just got canned.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
flying_whimsy said:
So the rushed, ill-advised cash grab failed to perform? Yeah, time to rethink the strategy.

I haven't actually liked a DC movie since Batman Begins, so it's just been one endless line of failures since then. You'd think that after what happened with both Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel someone somewhere would have taken a time out and went 'hey, are doing this wrong?' Instead they ran off half-cocked chasing all that sweet fanboy money and got their asses handed to them by marvel.

When I heard BvS got surpassed in revenue by Zootopia, I immediately assumed a whole bunch of people at WB/DC just got canned.
Dark Knight Rises made well over a billion dollars, so what lesson exactly did you believe they would be taking from that?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I'm unfamiliar with Berg but Geoff Johns is a name that I feel like I can trust though nothing is sticking out specifically. Hopefully now they'll put that Christopher Nolan/Zack Snyder Grim-dark bullshit to pasture for the upcoming films in their lineup. It might be too late to reboot Superman but (and I've said this before) it's not too late to have Dawn of Justice work as Justice Lords part 0.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Shoggoth2588 said:
...it's not too late to have Dawn of Justice work as Justice Lords part 0.
The question is: Should it be an alternate reality Justice League that comes and saves the day, and then they switch the movie focus to the 'proper' Justice League? Or should the movie Justice League be an uprising of B- and C-lister heroes from the same reality, who band together, overthrow the Justice Lords, and then we follow them?

I'm kind of leaning towards the later myself.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
TakerFoxx said:
The fact that they didn't see this coming astounding. I mean, come on! Everyone was telling them that they were screwing up!
Yeah, I know! It's almost like Warner Bros. executives don't actually listen to the many and varied criticisms of the various internet commentators who have no financial stake in the production or any background whatsoever in entertainment outside of consuming it.

And there are so many criticisms that they should be listening to! Many of them self-contradictory!

/sincerity mode

I'm getting kind of tired of seeing people complaining almost memetically about the recent DC films. They weren't that bad. They were average. X-Men: Origins was bad. Catwoman was bad. Superman IV was bad.

It may be a gigantic disappointment considering the history behind the characters, but BvS was not Superman IV levels of terrible. Anyone who says that with a straight face has never watched Superman IV.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
I'm unfamiliar with Berg but Geoff Johns is a name that I feel like I can trust though nothing is sticking out specifically. Hopefully now they'll put that Christopher Nolan/Zack Snyder Grim-dark bullshit to pasture for the upcoming films in their lineup. It might be too late to reboot Superman but (and I've said this before) it's not too late to have Dawn of Justice work as Justice Lords part 0.
Actually the one positive from killing Superman is that they have pretty much carte blanche to bring him back however they want, so they can reboot without rebooting.

bastardofmelbourne said:
It may be a gigantic disappointment considering the history behind the characters, but BvS was not Superman IV levels of terrible. Anyone who says that with a straight face has never watched Superman IV.
Seriously, it's not like they had some hackneyed plot where Lex Luthor combined his DNA with a Kryptonian in order to create an even more powerful being capable of destroying Superman. Can you imagine how stupid they would have to be to take the plot from the worst Superman movie ever and shoe-horn it into their already overstuffed and incomprehensible movie?! The mind boggles at the thought of such inanity, but at least we know that fans would never put up with such a thing, or god-forbid, actually defend it.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
mduncan50 said:
Seriously, it's not like they had some hackneyed plot where Lex Luthor combined his DNA with a Kryptonian in order to create an even more powerful being capable of destroying Superman. Can you imagine how stupid they would have to be to take the plot from the worst Superman movie ever and shoe-horn it into their already overstuffed and incomprehensible movie?! The mind boggles at the thought of such inanity, but at least we know that fans would never put up with such a thing, or god-forbid, actually defend it.
That's Superboy's origin from the comics, by the way. Penned by...Geoff Johns, funnily enough.

It's easy to do, but just bringing up an abstract plot outline and pretending it's the stupidest thing ever said by man isn't a very good criticism. There's nothing inherently wrong with the plot "Lex Luthor clones a Kryptonian." It's been used in the comics multiple times, and it's the current origin for Bizarro.

And it's a damn sight better than the comics origin for Doomsday, where he was a Kryptonian child thrown out to get killed by monsters, then cloned, then thrown out again and again over and over until he was the "ultimate life form", because that's definitely how genetics works. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LamarckWasRight]

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
bastardofmelbourne said:
mduncan50 said:
That's Superboy's origin from the comics, by the way. Penned by...Geoff Johns, funnily enough.

It's easy to do, but just bringing up an abstract plot outline and pretending it's the stupidest thing ever said by man isn't a very good criticism. There's nothing inherently wrong with the plot "Lex Luthor clones a Kryptonian." It's been used in the comics multiple times, and it's the current origin for Bizarro.

And it's a damn sight better than the comics origin for Doomsday, where he was a Kryptonian child thrown out to get killed by monsters, then cloned, then thrown out again and again over and over until he was the "ultimate life form", because that's definitely how genetics works. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LamarckWasRight]
Well it doesn't work that "human + Kryptonian = more powerful monster thing" either. If so, Lois is fucked if she get's preggers. But I'm not saying that it is the dumbest plot created by man, I'm simply saying that it is a plot that was already done by the exact same character in the worst Superman movie ever. At least that one actually looked like a mix between a human and a Kryptonian, but thank the gods Doomsday didn't talk in Lex "Jr"'s voice.