Batman v Superman Set Footage Reveals First Look at Bruce Wayne

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Batman v Superman Set Footage Reveals First Look at Bruce Wayne

Straight from the Detroit set of Batman v Superman, this footage shows Ben Affleck as an older take on Bruce Wayne.

While we've already seen what Batman will look like in Warner Bros. Studios' upcoming Batman v Superman [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134465-The-Affleck-Batman-And-Batmobile-Are-Positively-Miller-Esque], we now have our first look at what Ben Affleck as Bruce Wayne will be like when the film flies out in 2016. Courtesy of Samuel Otten who captured the set footage from Batman v Superman's Detroit shoot, we see a Bruce Wayne who looks older, and has a little bit of greying at his temples.

Otten also shared the following (warning: mild spoilers inbound):

Several Bruce Wayne stand-in's and stunt doubles were on set today. You can see them blocking out a scene involving the rescue of a small girl and the collapsing of a large piece of the Wayne Financial building. Based on city buses and police cars, this is presumed to be in Metropolis, not Gotham. I don't know that any of these are Ben Affleck himself, but you can be the judge. Probably him in the first sequence, but definitely not the later ones. At the very least, it's Bruce Wayne.

So far, Batman v Superman seems to be on the right track, with the film proving to be the most popular out of the San Diego Comic-Con [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136569-Batman-v-Superman-Proves-to-be-Most-Popular-Film-of-Comic-Con]. In addition to Ben Affleck as Batman/Bruce Wayne, Batman v Superman stars Henry Cavill (Superman), Gal Gadot (Wonder Woman), and Jesse Eisenberg (Lex Luthor), with Zack Snyder directing the film for a May 6, 2016 theatrical release.

Time will tell if DC can match Marvel's movie success but here's to hoping. Are you liking what you've seen of Batman v Superman so far or will it pale in comparison to Marvel's super-successful films?

Source: Coming Soon [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGn33v6Sou8]

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
Is this Bruce Wayne gonna be based on The Dark Knight Returns, ASBAR or combination of both?

Because I don't want to see a live action version of Crazy Steve, Bonkers Betty and Bearded Idiot.

Here's hoping and praying that this movie is not a train wreck.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Wow, they didn't even have to bring in props, they just used some of Detroit's natural resources that are constantly lying around.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I've come to terms with most of the casting, but I'm still having trouble seeing Eisenberg as Lex Luthor. I really like Jesse Eisenberg though. I saw him in Zombieland first and that kind of colored my entire opinion of everything he's done since. Loved that movie.

I just can't help but long for the Animated Series version of Lex. Clancy Brown brought such life to that character. But a smaller slighter version has worked in the past. The Lex from Smallville was probably the best thing about that show and he certainly wasn't a big imposing figure.

I find myself hopeful for this movie more than I had planned. I still think it could set a Guinness record for stupidest name though.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
From what i heard Bruce will be in his 50's. An has been Batman for 30 years yet is still a myth and no photo of Batman exists. So i guess his world will be turned upside down now Superman etc have turned up. Plus how he will deal with all these young heroes with real powers. Will his conflict with Superman be in a "Get out of my city, im the law here" type thing?

Hopefully they take advantage of an older Batman. Not sure if this movie will be any good or not but what they explain about Batman sounds great an different from the Bale character. Though also not sure what will happen in the Batman solo movie being he is old and fighting crime under the radar. Will there be a Commissioner Gordon? What about the villians? Not read the comics but didnt Batman indirectly create them? Can they have a younger joker or Riddler appear once Batman is flushed out into the limelight?It makes me really curious about what they will do.

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
I am in two minds about this film. On the one hand, I don't think Man of Steel was as bad as people say and the casting on this film so far seems good to me. On the other hand, MoS did have problems that a story like Dark Knight Returns is going to amplify. It does seem like there will be way too much going on because so far there has been zero world building and it looks like this film is going to be dragged down by all that.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Not really expecting much from this. Man of Steel was a decent action movie, but the characters and the story were really boring. Plus, this has to be one of the dumbest titles in existence.

Also, I don't think I care about Batman anymore. Always found his villians to be more exciting than the lead character himself. As for Jesse Eisenberg as Lex, I'm not seeing it. I might be wrong; would be great for all parties involved if I was, but I cannot imagine it at all.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I was really worried about this film, on account of David S. Goyer is an incompetent buffoon who usually does more harm than good to screenplays. But I'm actually kinda optimistic now that I see Argo's Chris Terrio was brought in for a rewrite. I doubt it'll be amazing, but it'll almost certainly be better than Man of Steel at any rate.

P.S. Thanks

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Sleekit said:
anywaon want to place bets that at some point superman says "why should i listen to you and batman replys "because...I'm The Goddamn Batman !"
If that quote is anywhere in this film I will shoot myself. Honestly apart from The Dark Knight Returns and I guess his run on Daredevil(that I haven't read) screw anything else he has done to these characters. That wouldn't be something funny to put in the film. That would be one of the worst things you could have Batman say. Especially with the position that WB is in with their Cinematic universe.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Sleekit said:
KazeAizen said:
Sleekit said:
anyone want to place bets that at some point Superman says "why should i listen to you ?" and Batman replys "because...I'm The Goddamn Batman !"...
If that quote is anywhere in this film I will shoot myself. Honestly apart from The Dark Knight Returns and I guess his run on Daredevil(that I haven't read) screw anything else he has done to these characters. That wouldn't be something funny to put in the film. That would be one of the worst things you could have Batman say. Especially with the position that WB is in with their Cinematic universe.
Affleck knows his Batstuff...and will have a lot of input on the movie.

personally...well, i would't give you long odds let's put it that way ;)

i dunno what's so wrong about dropping in a Batmeme...it could totally fit in context.
And that's why I actually do have a lot of faith in this movie. They got a different screenplay writer than Goyer (who really just needs to not touch a comic book thing again after that little podcast) and Affleck is a fan of this stuff. Combine that with Zack's really awesome visual direction and they might just have something awesome. If I ever hear anyone actually deny Snyder's visual prowess I know they must be tripping because let's be honest even his sort of weak films look incredible and have probably some of the best action set pieces you'll ever see.

What's wrong with dropping in that particular Batmeme is that its from a creator who actively hates all other heroes, its not from a particularly good version of the character, and the only possible way it could is if its some punk ass street kid that says it and not Batman himself. That is the only way that one would work.

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
Sleekit said:
marscentral said:
did you ever consider that they built the world already in MoS its just that the other heros who are alive in that universe haven't been seen yet and MoS offered them very little opportunity to catch up with the new, young, inexperienced hero on the block who made one hell of a mess his first time out and (as many fans mentioned) didn't seem to give a toss he knocked dhown building full of people while fighting Zod ?

heros exist in the marvel universe...but superman grows up in "small town Kansas"...which practically is...no in fact completely is...a metaphor for "out in the middle of nowhere" (sorry Kansas)...then goes off to become an emo hermit...not really surprising they haven't shown someone like Batman who for the most part famously tends to stick to his home location.
Obviously Batman and Wonder Woman exist in MoS's universe but that's not established in MoS, hence my comment, because MoS only dealt with Superman. Also keep in mind that Aquaman and Cyborg are rumoured to be in this film according to imdb. All of that is going to have to be established in BvS:DoJ (ugh that's not better than Batman versus Superman: Dawn of Justice is it) as none of it was set up before.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
marscentral said:
Sleekit said:
marscentral said:
did you ever consider that they built the world already in MoS its just that the other heros who are alive in that universe haven't been seen yet and MoS offered them very little opportunity to catch up with the new, young, inexperienced hero on the block who made one hell of a mess his first time out and (as many fans mentioned) didn't seem to give a toss he knocked dhown building full of people while fighting Zod ?

heros exist in the marvel universe...but superman grows up in "small town Kansas"...which practically is...no in fact completely is...a metaphor for "out in the middle of nowhere" (sorry Kansas)...then goes off to become an emo hermit...not really surprising they haven't shown someone like Batman who for the most part famously tends to stick to his home location.
Obviously Batman and Wonder Woman exist in MoS's universe but that's not established in MoS, hence my comment, because MoS only dealt with Superman. Also keep in mind that Aquaman and Cyborg are rumoured to be in this film according to imdb. All of that is going to have to be established in BvS:DoJ (ugh that's not better than Batman versus Superman: Dawn of Justice is it) as none of it was set up before.
No matter what though I doubt this film will be as bad as Amazing Spider-man 2. Otherwise known as world building done horribly horribly wrong. Honestly if the only thing about this film that even has me slightly depressed is the title then I can't complain about it really.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
I still don't know how I feel about a Batman in his 50s starting the Justice League. The whole Batman Superman fight works well because they have known eachother so long. It is a fight they are going to have, but not one they want to have. They know how the other works, moves and operates and after years of playing off of one another having to battle one another is like a battle of equals. To have it as their first interaction just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

But who knows, I wasn't expecting Guardians of the Galaxy to be as good and as much fun as it was, so perhaps the people behind DoJ have got something up their sleave.