Batman Voice Actor Says Arkham City Will Have Downloadable Episodes

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Batman Voice Actor Says Arkham City Will Have Downloadable Episodes

Don't worry if your favorite Batman villain doesn't make it into Arkham City, it seems that he or she could very well turn up in the DLC.

Kevin Conroy, the voice actor who provides Batman's voice in Batman: The Animated Series, Justice League Unlimited, and, of course, Arkham Asylum, has described his latest bat-project, Arkham City, as an "ongoing game," and says that developer Rocksteady has plans to expand the game with downloadable episodes.

In an interview [http://www.comicbooked.com/exclusive-kevin-conroy-gets-comic-booked/ ] with the site ComicBooked, Conroy said that he had been recording dialogue for Arkham City for quite a while and expected that to continue into the future. He also said that he had to be very careful about what he said about the game, for fear of announcing something too soon. He said that people often tried to wheedle plot details out of him, and Warner Bros. would have a little fit if they thought he might say something he shouldn't.

"I had a guy at a conference try and trick me into telling who the villains were in [Arkham City]," he said. "And Warner Bros. called me that night and said, 'DON'T YOU EVER SAY ANYTHING LIKE THAT EVER AGAIN IN ANY KIND OF INTERVIEW!' I said, 'I knew the guy was trying to trick me, didn't you get it?' ... I have to be very careful." It has to be said though, revealing a game's DLC strategy before the official announcement sounds like one of those things he shouldn't really have said.

While there will be those who rail against the idea that Rocksteady and Warner are planning DLC before the game even comes out - despite the fact that that's just how games are made now - for plenty of Batman fans this will come as very welcome news. The concept of Arkham City really lends itself to being expanded, and Batman does not lack for interesting villains. We've asked Rocksteady for official confirmation of the news, and will update if and when we get it.

Batman: Arkham City comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 350 on October 18th.

Source: via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/312656/batman-arkham-city-dlc-episodes-coming/]

ZeppMan217

Apr 13, 2010
Well, if the main plot won't suffer, and if the game won't become as repetitive as the first one by the time I reached credits, I see no problem with that. At least, it's better than challenge maps.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I see this as nothing but good news. I loved the first game, and it ended. That sucked.
Challenge rooms are fun, but I want more story, so if they will continue to expand the campaign I'll be very happy.
However, I'm a bit surprised about WB's anger at supposed reveals. I'm already annoyed by all the stuff they're willfully saying at this point, I don't want to know anything more about the game, you've already sold me on it! Stop spoilering!

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
"I had a guy at a conference try and trick me into telling who the villains were in [Arkham City]," he said. "And Warner Bros. called me that night and said, 'DON'T YOU EVER SAY ANYTHING LIKE THAT EVER AGAIN IN ANY KIND OF INTERVIEW!' I said, 'I knew the guy was trying to trick me, didn't you get it?' ... I have to be very careful." It has to be said though, revealing a game's DLC strategy before the official announcement sounds like one of those things he shouldn't really have said.
Yes, because we all played Arkham Asylum to fight the bad guys...oh wait a minute no we didn't because we only fought their lackeys and a cutscene defeated most of them for us. :)

Tarakos

May 21, 2009
I am totally okay with this. Arkham Asylum only had like, 2 DLCs for those challenge rooms that I never really dug. If they wanna release story content, I will buy anything they throw out. Provided it's quality....which I'm sure it will be considering who's making it.

And more Batman is only ever a good thing.

InsomniJack

Dec 4, 2009
Oh my Bob! Why does Kevin Conroy always have to ruin EVERYTHING?! He's always flabbing away with that big mouth of his and can't keep a secret and is always stirring the pot and

Oh, Kevin Conroy. I can never be angry with you.

Really, though, I think he helped make a few more sales with the prospect of DLC episodes. As much as I liked Arkham Asylum, I was a little disappointed that there was no DLC that added stuff to the main story, instead focusing on challenge maps.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Dexter111 said:
Yay, additional bits and pieces that could have been in the original game or Patches like The Witcher 2, but we are allowed to pay for them, let's rejoice everyone!
That's a pretty hefty sense of entitlement there. I'm surprised you can still type with it weighing you down. It's like complaining that your local pizza place charges more for extra toppings.

Studios working on extra content for a game at the same time as the game itself is just the way things are done these days. If Rocksteady delivers a game that isn't good value for money, then you can complain all you like about things that could have been in the game but weren't. But y'know what? I don't think that's going to happen.

Oct 30, 2010
I think companies should hold off on releasing a game until all its designers die. That way, we'll be certain to get all the ideas they might have included, without dlc!

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This is a mixed blessing. I don't personally see a problem with expanding the game beyond it's original content. But, if that is going to mean 45 minutes worth of gameplay for $10 (like Dragon Age: Origins), I'm not interested. The content should be substantial at that price point. I mean, some companies release entire full games for only $15 (Section 8: Prejudice).

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
I think this is really good news. Trying to fit too many villains into the main plot could degrade the story, but I know everyone has a favorite Batman villain they'd love to see with their own DLC.

Now if only they had made Catwoman DLC based instead... :p

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
4173 said:
I think companies should hold off on releasing a game until all its designers die. That way, we'll be certain to get all the ideas they might have included, without dlc!
Hahahaha this post brightened my day. +1 internets for you, sir.

Seriously guys, games have to be released SOMETIME.

Megawat22

Aug 7, 2010
Perhaps they could release an Adam West DLC. Kevin Conroy is replaced by the smooth tones of one Adam West, complete with old timey Adam West Batman costume.
I don't care if it seems out of place, Batman just doesn't seem right without Adam West...

tiredinnuendo

Jan 2, 2008
Dexter111 said:
Yep, me and my immense sense of "entitlement", wanting to have a full product if I pay for it or being "entitled" by not paying for my Online gaming (like them consoles people), being "entitled" because I don't want microtransactions in my games and just generally being ripped off with whatever new "scheme" they come up with to get more money for the same product and good job on comparing games to food, what kind of brainwashing device have they been using these past 7 years (you know, when publishers would have been sent to hell for doing something like this before Microsoft managed to "marketize" it [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downloadable_content#Criticism]... just like their inane licensing fees and paying for Online) that you get to call me "entitled" in a derogative way?

Honestly this kind of stuff makes me not want to buy a game in the first place, especially if they have the audacity to come out with it even before they release the game to not support them in their double-dipping ways.

And no, that's not the "way of the industry", it is the way of a select few greedy publishers, most notably EA and Activision (that unfortunately are also the largest), there are plenty of examples for games that either don't have any DLC or offer content for free like Witcher 2, Terraria, MineCraft, most of Valve's games (although they introduced Microtransactions...), Tripwires games etc.
Without poking too much fun at your butthurt, I have a quick question to see if there's any way whatsoever I could relate to where you are coming from.

Let's say that a game is released. And it's good. Really good. You love it. And the developers call you up personally and say, "We had a few extra ideas that we didn't have the budget to put into the main title. Would you rather we release those ideas as DLC, or just scrap them and move on to our next project?" Are you saying you'd tell them not to make it?

- J

wrecker77

May 31, 2008
Can't complain. Arkahm city looks RIDICULOUSLY fun. A lot of work going into it and I hope it gets rewarded with awesome sales.

The only possible fear I have for this game is that it may be too easy. Why? Because you're the goddamn batman! But really the first game never really challenged me except for maybe one or two sections. I'm pre ordering this next time I get the chance.