Battle.net StarCraft II Matchmaking Too Good?

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Battle.net StarCraft II Matchmaking Too Good?

Blizzard's Rob Pardo discussed how Battle.net will approach smurfing or "noob-stomping" when StarCraft II [http://www.amazon.com/Starcraft-II-Wings-Liberty-Pc/dp/B000ZKA0J6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278966841&sr=1-1] is released.

There is a large learning curve when it comes to playing real time strategy games online against random opponents. Some players are still trying to learn the basics of the game when they're matched up with experts who annihilate them before they've expanded or even built their first barracks. Usually, there is a matchmaking algorithm in place which attempts to pit like-skilled players against each other, but the experts still find ways to circumvent it. The practice actually has a term for it - smurfing. In games like Blizzard's WarCraft III, for example, players could create any number of accounts. That practice is abolished in SC2, but Rob Pardo says that the issue isn't as simple as that.

"It's really, really tricky when you have such a diverse skill set of people that are coming to your game, especially when it's a competitive game," Pardo said during a panel discussing the future of connectivity in games at GDC 2010.

"Really good players, they don't necessarily want to play themselves. They want to go beat up on the noob because that's really fun," he said. "When you look at WarCraft III, one of the mistakes we made with that game was that you could make unlimited accounts. All someone had to do, once we knew what their skill level was, they'd just go and make a new account. As far as we were concerned they were a noobie.

"In StarCraft II, we're making sure that you can't do that. You can only have one account and if you want a new account, because you want to go beat up on noobs, you're going to have go out and buy a new copy of StarCraft," he said.

The Battle.net matchmaking has been vastly improved in the StarCraft II beta in accurately setting up matches. But the really interesting tidbit is that Pardo isn't sure if that's a good thing. "If your matchmaking is really good, it means that for every single game, you're kind of the edge of your seat," Pardo said. "After you play an hour or two of games like that, you're kind of exhausted. So we're actually talking about, 'Is that the right matchmaking approach?' You might want to add a little sloppiness to the matchmaking. Maybe that means sometimes you get stomped, but sometimes you have easier games. And sometimes you have the really competitive games. It's got better pacing.

"That's something we've just been talking about this week. We're not sure," Pardo said.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I really hope it works. It annoys me when you play a game then a total expert annihilates you...who gets off on beating new people anyway...annoying as hell.

I applaud them for there vision and hope they can execute it well

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Based on the beta, I'd say this is actually a very accurate account. SC2's matchmaking is absolutely phenomenal and is very likely the first game to really nail it. Games are really, really intense and I've personally felt exactly what he describers here: exhaustion. After my 5th game I feel strained and tired and have to stop playing.

Though, there is always custom maps, vs. AI's and stuff like that. Pardo shouldn't forget about these avenues of play as, IMO, they're very, very integral to the appeal of starcraft.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
I have hated most online strategy games due to being beat so easly. May be this will help me. If not, I'll still be gatting SCII and play my friends.

zamble

We are GOLDEN!
Sep 28, 2009
Wow, having topay $$$ for another copy in order to have more fun...
I smell a scheme here!!

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
Might be an idea to implement a notification that tells you to go relax after detecting that you're starting to deteriorate. Could recommend example custom games.

Gnmish

Feb 7, 2009
I think the strength of starcraft2 as an enduring game will be the mod community. If you're feeling brainfried simply go check out the latest TD someones come up with!

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
they need a little bit of a mixture because how the hell do you learn to be better if you play average joe everyday...seriously you learn new things from vet players and if you keep playing noobs you wont learn jack.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
zamble said:
I smell a scheme here!!
Lets be honest here, being constantly stomped by tossers who feel like stomping on helpless noobs is not fun, it rewards the jerks and punishes newbies.

Besides there could always be free matchmaking and trueskill matchmaking modes.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
I usually play custom maps (preferably the coop ones, or competitive custom maps like MTG) rather than bothering to try and master the classic PVP element of the game. Less frustrating and still a lot of fun. Its why i cant wait to see the new map editor.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
They should definitely have all of "skill-calibrated" matchmaking, conventional "ladder" matchmaking, and "open matchmaking" where anyone can play anyone, as well as invitation-based matches for friends and clans.

zamble

We are GOLDEN!
Sep 28, 2009
elvor0 said:
zamble said:
I smell a scheme here!!
Lets be honest here, being constantly stomped by tossers who feel like stomping on helpless noobs is not fun, it rewards the jerks and punishes newbies.

Besides there could always be free matchmaking and trueskill matchmaking modes.
Oh, just to clarify my point of view: I think there should be some leveling and agree with their measure. I was just pointing out how inadequate of him to say people should buy a new copy of a game they already own...

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
How much you wanna bet someones gonna buy about five or so copies just to continue playing against n00bs?

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
zamble said:
I smell a scheme here!!
No, you have to pay $$$ if you want to spoil others fun.

James B Hamster

Apr 15, 2009
I've got to say, I'm not too thrilled about this announcement. I can't tell you the number of times I've created new accounts on the original StarCraft by mere virtue of the fact that I forgot my previous account information.

I don't "gank" no "noobs": I suck at StarCraft. All I do is play with my friends, who also suck. And I take some issues with the fact that I'm going to have to play 20 Questions to remember my whatnots after I take a half-year break from the game.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
BobisOnlyBob said:
They should definitely have all of "skill-calibrated" matchmaking, conventional "ladder" matchmaking, and "open matchmaking" where anyone can play anyone, as well as invitation-based matches for friends and clans.
I second this notion.

Huh, to low content post, fine...

I've never done very much PvP RTS stuff, due to the fact that I've never been able to get down the mechanics the good "competitive" players use. My basic strategy tends to be, work on defense until your base is impenetrable, build up your tech trees, and make a giant base wiping force. and this takes way to long for a PvP match, so playing against less skilled players may actually give me a chance of winning.

PissedGrunty

Aug 15, 2009
I don't have much a problem with this, other than it might be problematic if you have multiple people in the household who want to play the game.

As for his worry about "exhaustion", that's what custom games are for. Hopefully the custom map engine is at least as robust as WC3.

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
James B Hamster said:
I've got to say, I'm not too thrilled about this announcement. I can't tell you the number of times I've created new accounts on the original StarCraft by mere virtue of the fact that I forgot my previous account information.

I don't "gank" no "noobs": I suck at StarCraft. All I do is play with my friends, who also suck. And I take some issues with the fact that I'm going to have to play 20 Questions to remember my whatnots after I take a half-year break from the game.
As much as I want to agree with this individual, and as much as I hate the idea that multiple people in a household all need separate copies to play the game and enjoy matchmaking to their appropriate skill level... people rolling new accounts in Halo 3 absolutely ruin the experience, every time, and they end up making up every 5th match played.

I'd almost rather something more in between, along the lines of "new accounts cost money (5, 10 dollars), but not a full-priced copy". You'd still have people willing to pay a fee to be a jerk, but it might serve both sides of the coin more effectively.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
That statement he made makes me feel as if they DO infact have a handle on the impossible task.

But it also reminds me of playing Battlefield Bad Company, i always have custom match set to normal and very often it's a random jump between the 3 groupings, Sometimes we are getting smashed to small little peices no matter what we do, sometimes we are smashing little bits because they wee in the first of these groups, then there is my favorite of challenging and conquerable. Of course no matter what i'm usually tired of it in an hour or two. Unless i rage quit