Battleborn Gets New Free Trial that Makes it Basically Free-to-Play

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Battleborn Gets New Free Trial that Makes it Basically Free-to-Play

The new Battleborn "free trial" essentially makes the game free-to-play, and those who already own the game have a bunch of new items.

Battleborn has struggled since its launch in May of 2016. Despite being a pretty solid game, it was bogged down by comparisons to and competition from Overwatch. Despite those struggles, 2K said it was going to stick by the game, and Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford said [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168531-Battleborn-Free-to-Play-Rumor-Squashed] that while the game would not go free-to-play, there was a free trial in the works. That free trial went live yesterday, and it seems to make the game basically free-to-play.

You can now head over to Steam and download Battleborn for free. You'll have unlimited access to all the competitive multiplayer modes and maps, with no time limits or level caps. There will be a weekly rotation of six free heroes from the game's roster of 30, and any progress you make with the characters is permanent, so you can pick up where you left off when a character comes back around in the rotation.

To keep new players from being steamrolled by veterans, Gearbox is also creating a queue just for new players. You'll remain in this queue until you reach Command Rank 20, at which point you won't have access to the "Novice Queue" anymore. You'll continue to be able to purchase cosmetics, gear packs, boosters, loadouts, and more from the store using in-game credits or Platinum premium currency.

If you purchased Battleborn before the free trial went live, you now have Founder status. Founders have been gifted with "the Founder title and Founders bonus content, including Legendary Gear, 1,000 Platinum, 50,000 Credits, Loot Packs and more, plus an exclusive 'Founder's Crown' Flair item." You can see all the details on what being a Founder means over on the <a href="https://battleborn.com/en/news/view/en-battleborn-founder-s-status/"
target="_blank">Battleborn website.

You can find more information on the new free trial over on the game's Xbox One [https://battleborn.com/en/news/view/en-battleborn-free-trial/].

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Wait, wait, wait, wait... there are veteran players still?? Who? Why? Are there even enough to justify splitting the player queue like that? You'd think as a Veteran player you'd actually want to play against the new people, just so you can... well, actually play the game, right?

As for the actual Free-trial... honestly, a little late, and hilariously poorly timed given the whole 'Overwatch Anniversary' thing going right now. And given Paladins kinda scored the Free-to-play market... I dunno guys, maybe just pack it in and work on Borderlands 3? And next time, don't try to fuck with Blizzard, there's a reason Western MMOs are so rare these days.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Wrex Brogan said:
Wait, wait, wait, wait... there are veteran players still?? Who? Why?
Well, Jim Sterling I think can be considered "a veteran" as he kinda likes the game.
And with that, we got 100% of the lists of veterans covered.

But of course in the future, there may be more of them. Mostly people that are now new players. Not every veteran of a game is there from Day 1, after all.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Bindal said:
Wrex Brogan said:
Wait, wait, wait, wait... there are veteran players still?? Who? Why?
Well, Jim Sterling I think can be considered "a veteran" as he kinda likes the game.
And with that, we got 100% of the lists of veterans covered.

But of course in the future, there may be more of them. Mostly people that are now new players. Not every veteran of a game is there from Day 1, after all.
Well, I like the game. Play, on the other hand...

And yeah, but... how much future does the game even have left in it? I've a feeling that unless they get a BIG boost of players here, there's not going to be enough game around long enough for people to become veteran players. I mean, Evolve didn't even last 6 months after it went free to play...

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
To nobody's surprise

but ya - the game should have launched a few months later, to avoid launching so close to overwatch

...and perhaps used that time to make another game mode to further differentiate it from Overwatch

but ya, too little too late

Kurt91

Feb 16, 2017
Country
United States
So, if there's no time limit on how long you can play, and it appears that damn near the whole game is available to you, what is the difference between this "free trial" and just being flat-out free to play?

Bindal

May 14, 2012
kurt91 said:
So, if there's no time limit on how long you can play, and it appears that damn near the whole game is available to you, what is the difference between this "free trial" and just being flat-out free to play?
Because apparently the singleplayer and coop is still locked out and you only have a limited pool of characters to play as instead of all.
So, if it's F2P or a Free Trial is still something to be argued about, but "Free Trial" doesn't have to mean "time limit" but instead "content limit".

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Litteraly the second time where "too little too late" applies. Game released 8 months too early (Winter Update made so many changes it boggled my mind that they didnt want until then to release it). And now this...

Used to enjoy this game, but it is riddled with overly stupid descisions, and microtransactions.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I think I speak for everyone when I say "This game still has online servers!?"

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
So I'm guessing that Battleborn still hasn't met it's Microtransaction quota to be considered "done with" by 2K then. Although the "free" aspect will definitely attract a couple of people to start playing (and probably paying), I doubt it'll start a thriving community that will stick with the game for ages on. IMO when I played it the heroes felt off and the MOBA aspect felt more frustrating than other games that preceded it, not to mention the equipment system being for all games as opposed to in individual matches made it feel extremely unbalanced in addition to it's randomness especially as you could be up against someone with full legendary buffs whilst you're still running around with starter or common ones.