Battleborn Sales "Tracking Just Ahead" of Borderlands

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Battleborn Sales "Tracking Just Ahead" of Borderlands

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1321/1321594.jpgBattleborn is selling better than the first Borderlands, at least so far.

Battleborn has been Twitch [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167297-Battleborn-Launch-Trailer].

While no hard numbers were provided, it's worth noting that Borderlands sold nearly eight million copies. If Battleborn is on pace to improve on that, Gearbox has to be pleased, especially since the numbers seem to be improving. "We're seeing growth every day at a steady rate after a big burst of people at launch," Varnell said. Hopefully we'll continue to see that go up."

sonicneedslovetoo

Jul 6, 2015
Considering how the marketing for it made people confuse it as the same kind of game as Overwatch(if you still believe this, seriously TotalBiscut has a video for you) I'm surprised.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
I'm not really a fan of Moba style games, having tried my fair share of them, so I won't be picking it up but I'm glad that it's doing well. Hopefully it'll create some friendly competition in the team-shooter genre.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The real test is when Overwatch come out. Then we will turly see if it's a success or not.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
The real test is when Overwatch come out. Then we will turly see if it's a success or not.
People buying a Blizzard game is a foregone conclusion.

The real test will be in thier player retention, not the sales race.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
The Enquirer said:
I'm not really a fan of Moba style games, having tried my fair share of them, so I won't be picking it up but I'm glad that it's doing well. Hopefully it'll create some friendly competition in the team-shooter genre.
Is it a moba? It's fuzzy, but I think only one mode is kind of mobaish.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
nomotog said:
The Enquirer said:
My friend was all over it, there's leveling inside matches and I think npc's to it. It doesn't feel like a moba because of all the fps elements but the rule set is still there.

That's just my understanding from what he's told me. I've personally kept away as soon as soon as I found out there was leveling. Just not my thing in online games really.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
There's a couple important qualifiers there.

They're comparing Battleborn sales to Borderlands 1 launch sales.

Borderlands sold around 2 million in the first 2 months of its launch, which aren't too shabby, however there's no doubt in my mind they were hoping for something closer to Borderlands 2 numbers which blew Borderlands 1 numbers away.

Plus they said the words cautiously optimistic in an interview which doesn't give the best outlook on things. Yeah optimistic is in there, but they had to add the qualifier cautiously.

I have to wonder how much going up against Overwatch has hurt their sales numbers, or if its just general distrust of Gearbox overall.

That being said, maybe I'm just blowing this out of proportion and Battleborn will gain momentum. Who knows.

Maphysto

Dec 11, 2010
shintakie10 said:
There's a couple important qualifiers there.

They're comparing Battleborn sales to Borderlands 1 launch sales.

Borderlands sold around 2 million in the first 2 months of its launch, which aren't too shabby, however there's no doubt in my mind they were hoping for something closer to Borderlands 2 numbers which blew Borderlands 1 numbers away.

Plus they said the words cautiously optimistic in an interview which doesn't give the best outlook on things. Yeah optimistic is in there, but they had to add the qualifier cautiously.

I have to wonder how much going up against Overwatch has hurt their sales numbers, or if its just general distrust of Gearbox overall.

That being said, maybe I'm just blowing this out of proportion and Battleborn will gain momentum. Who knows.
Gearbox's timing really couldn't have been worse. If it had come out a year ago, or if Overwatch was coming out next year, Battleborn would probably be the premier multiplayer title of 2016. Instead, we have two similar games coming out within weeks of each other, one of which has had the juggernaut momentum of well-known, high-revenue developer combined with a total media blitz.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Wait...are they in competition?

Ohhh, it's just developer dick waving. Alrighty then. Orrr is it for the shareholders?

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
nomotog said:
The Enquirer said:
Its a moba. It has all the elements of a moba, and frankly feels like a Borderlands Moba mod.

Its single player campaign is short and there's not enough reason to clear it with all the heroes because you don't get much more varied loot after your first run.

Its MP is fun but the current balance it out of whack.

Seishisha

By the power of greyskull.
Aug 22, 2011
Everything i've seen about this game just looks so dull and unappealing, perhaps that is because i also feel the same about borderlands. Having not played either i am obviously not a good judge of quality so bear that in mind.

Personaly i kinda want to see this fail just because i don't like gearbox, and more specifically randy pitchford. Petty spite it may be but i don't care.

Best of luck to them and those that do enjoy this.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
sonicneedslovetoo said:
Considering how the marketing for it made people confuse it as the same kind of game as Overwatch(if you still believe this, seriously TotalBiscut has a video for you) I'm surprised.
The marketing was indeed terrible, but the word of mouth has been good.

Every stream or Youtube video I've seen about Battleborn has been broadly positive (crushing weight of particle effects aside), that seems to count for a lot these days.