Battleborn Winter Update Bringing Major Changes to the Gearbox Shooter

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Battleborn Winter Update Bringing Major Changes to the Gearbox Shooter

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1366/1366153.jpgGearbox is planning a number of changes for new and veteran Battleborn players alike in its upcoming Winter Update.

Battleborn has struggled to connect with players ever since it launched in May. Despite the game's quality, it's faced issues from strong competition (Overwatch) as well as complaints about barriers to entry and grindy gameplay. While Gearbox can't do anything about its competition, it is planning a major update this winter to address the other complaints. The just-announced winter update will include changes targeted at both new players and veterans alike.

For new players looking to find their favorite character to play, the winter update will unlock all 25 core characters as soon as you finish the prologue. It will also change the character unlock challenges to award a new skin upon completion, as well as adjusting a number of those challenges to be more obtainable. In addition, the Story Mode missions will have "more guides and tools" to help you find your way through. Credit rewards have also been increased to aid in the acquisition of loot packs in the early game.

The update will also add two new training modes for new players. One will teach the ins and outs of Incursion, first to you as a solo player, and then with friends whenever you want to reply it. It will also add the Dojo, which will let you try out every Battleborn character against waves of enemy minions.

Veteran players can expect to see a number of changes as well. The game's user interface is getting an upgrade in nearly every area, from the start screen to the character select and menus. A new Draft Mode is being added, allowing players to take turns picking and banning characters to make the perfect matchups.

Also coming in this update are daily quests and increases to character and command ranks. The Credit system has been overhauled to award more credits for public PvP matches, and Loot Packs have had some changes made as well.

Finally, the update will add PS4 Pro support, which will allow owners of the new console to choose between 1080p at 60 frames per second or 4K at 30 frames per second.

The update doesn't have an exact release date just yet, but Gearbox plans to stream all the details from the update on its read Gearbox's post [https://www.twitch.tv/gearboxsoftware] on the game's official site.

Borty The Bort

Jul 23, 2016
You're a bit late, Gearbox. Like... insanely late for something like this to come out now. I do not know a single person that possesses Battleborn, and I don't think they care about it much either, so it's unlikely they are going to pay much heed when they see that the game is receiving new changes.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Poor Battleborn. Thought it was a special little snowflake, but then a blizzard came and snowed them in, leaving them out in the cold. Well, least they're not putting it on ice, even if Gearbox tends to get a frosty reception nowadays.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
Holy shit, this update should have been out like, fucking 4-6 months ago, if not 7. This ACTUALLY sounds kind of appealing.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
"reply" --> "replay"

The grammar police strikes again!

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
A great update for the... 5 people who still play this game. Christ, I can't even suggest they go Free-to-play, since Paladins already filled that niche in. What a waste of a good game.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
So it seems this genre is going to suffer from the same issue MMORPGs suffer from. If you aren't WoW, and you don't find your own niche, the lifespan of your game is unlikely to be long.

I feel bad in this case because from what I've heard, Battleborn is a pretty good game, it's a shame they suffered comparison to one made by Blizzard.

I wonder if this game had been released months before, if Overwatch would have been in this boat instead.

Zendariel

May 15, 2012
Eclipse Dragon said:
So it seems this genre is going to suffer from the same issue MMORPGs suffer from. If you aren't WoW, and you don't find your own niche, the lifespan of your game is unlikely to be long.

I feel bad in this case because from what I've heard, Battleborn is a pretty good game, it's a shame they suffered comparison to one made by Blizzard.

I wonder if this game had been released months before, if Overwatch would have been in this boat instead.
Probably not,
First: It's Blizzard that still has very high reputation vs. gearbox that is currently remembered from Borderlands(yay for some) Aliens - colonial marines and Duke Nukem Forever.

Second: From my understanding the game is much closer to MOBAs which as a genre is much more indimidating than straight up hero shooter with pretty simple objectives, I would try it if there was a weekend and maybe then buy if i liked. But they haven't offered many(if any) chances for general populous to test it.

Third: It was pretty expensive for something that has a high risk of being something you might not enjoy and it's still nearly full priced on PC

It would probably have done better if it was released few months earlier, but I still don't think it would have done that much better when Overwatch would still have been looming in the near future. I agree it's a shame though.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Step 1: Lower price to $20-30
Step 2: Bring in Borderlands characters
Step 3: ????
Step 4: Profit!

seriously, the inclusion of people like Kreig, Tiny Tina and Zero seemed to be self-explanatory when introducing a brand new hero-shooter IP...

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
martyrdrebel27 said:

seriously, the inclusion of people like Kreig, Tiny Tina and Zero seemed to be self-explanatory when introducing a brand new hero-shooter IP...
IDK, I figure Gearbox was really hoping to get a popular IP that can stand on its own outside of BL, but at this point I guess it's kind of moot.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
SirSullymore said:
martyrdrebel27 said:

IDK, I figure Gearbox was really hoping to get a popular IP that can stand on its own outside of BL, but at this point I guess it's kind of moot.
that's a fair point, but that stubbornness should have gone out the window the moment they realized they were releasing in the same field/window as a Blizzard game.

zegram33

Oct 24, 2012
its a crying shame because honestly?
battleborn is so much more fun than overwatch.
more characters, more varied characters, better gunplay, more varied gunplay, COUCH CO-OP with nary a frame dropped.

just couldn't even begin to stand up to the marketing push of blizzard, especially combined with gearbox really having been hit with aliens and DNF.

I feel Gearbox deserve serious props though: despite this being a pretty sad flop they have released an update EVERY week since launch, (ton my knowledge at least)
how many devs have ever kept to that kind of schedule?