Battlecry PAX Interview - DLC Map Packs? No F---ing Way!

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013

I spoke with Battlecry's Rich Vogel and Lucas Davis about how DLC map packs suck, dedicated servers are so "last century", and the game's possible console future.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
He told me that the game's matchmaking system (which will work in a similar way to League of Legends or World of Tanks), would take care of that disparity.
Can't say I'm a huge fan of this. Depending on how a persons rating is calculated, this could be downright awful.

Kind of sick of this unwritten rule that all FPS/3rd person competitive games have to have gratuitous xp systems and unlocks too.

Glad they acknowledged how stupid DLC map packs are though at least.

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
ron1n said:
He told me that the game's matchmaking system (which will work in a similar way to League of Legends or World of Tanks), would take care of that disparity.
Can't say I'm a huge fan of this. Depending on how a persons rating is calculated, this could be downright awful.

Kind of sick of this unwritten rule that all FPS/3rd person competitive games have to have gratuitous xp systems and unlocks too.

Glad they acknowledged how stupid DLC map packs are though at least.
I agree, regardless of whether or not you get good members is always going to be a flip of the coin. No matchmaker has ever been good at giving everyone a fair shake. Too much disparity in skill, methinks.

Also agree on that overwrought exp system. Why do we need to see such progression, when we can easily feel it during the game itself? Maybe it's the skinner box need...

Ark of the Covetor

Jul 10, 2014
Steven Bogos said:

I spoke with Battlecry's Rich Vogel and Lucas Davis about how DLC map packs suck, dedicated servers are so "last century", and the game's possible console future.

Woah like, yeah dude, so totes, I'm deffo buying this game based on how obviously with it and edgy and extreme these devs are. Who needs player agency and a user-defined experience when we can trust developers to create a matchmaking algorithm that's not shite, dedicated servers are sooooo last century man.

And yep, I just dislocated my eyeballs they rolled so hard.

PMAvers

May 27, 2009
Personally would've went with "P2P is so last century" instead. Since there's bloody no reason to do that anymore with all the cloud options available for server space.

Plus making fun of stupid CoD design choices is always topical.