Battlefield 1 PC Will Only Be Available Digitally in North America

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Battlefield 1 PC Will Only Be Available Digitally in North America

Battlefield 1's PC version will only be available digitally in North America.

If you're looking forward to checking out the PC version of GameStop [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167374-Battlefield-1-World-War-1-Shooter-Launch-Trailer] listings show that it's a download-only title.

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1320/1320950.jpg

In a statement to PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/battlefield-1-will-be-digital-only-on-pc-in-north-america/], EA said that "Here in North America, there will be a PC box version that you can buy in stores that will have a code in the box and no disc. If you buy that same PC box version Internationally, some countries will offer a disc inside."

Even more unfortunately, the $220 "Exclusive Collector's Edition" will only be available for the console versions of the game. That means that if you wanted the statue, deck of cards, poster, patch, and a messenger pigeon tube with exclusive DLC inside, you'll have to be willing to buy the console version.

This is all bad news for people who have slower internet speeds or data caps, but it's not particularly surprising. PC games have all but vanished from retail in recent years, and the ones we do see in stores are largely just boxes with codes inside. Still, it would be nice to see at least the option to buy a PC game at retail every now and then.

The digital and physical versions of Battlefield 1 release on October 21.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I was surprised and impressed when it was revealed to be a WWI game. I knew there was going to be some sort of catch though. I mean this, AND Battlefront 2, pace yourselves. Its not even like its just EA, since both are DICE.

munx13

Some guy on the internet
Dec 17, 2008
This is a growing trend that I dislike more every day.
GoG (and to a lesser extent Humble Bundle) is now pretty much the only mainstream storefront where I can still fully own a game and play it legally if their services went down.

Sucks that Indiebox will be the only ones providing physical copies with the full actual game inside them soon.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Aaaaaaaaaaaand I've suddenly lost interest in the game. Sorry but unless I can get it for really cheap compared to the retail price I never buy digital.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
EA: "Oh, PC gamers like Collector's Editions? Here's our middle finger."

EA: "People like discs so to not bottleneck their internet with our overly large, unzipped files. Here's our middle finger."

EA: "People still play on PC? Here's our middle finger!!!!"

Does EA not realize that people who buy/game on PC actually PAY EA for their games? Console gamers are a mix of those that buy the game and those that buy a used version at Gamestop. Gamestop makes 100% sales on the used version. Used games sales eat into EA's pocket, yet they partner up with Gamestop while promoting console games like there's no tomorrow. What the flying hell bat?! EA seriously has some screwed up prioritization going on with that.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Woah, Woah, Woah. Just you wait a second! I recall EA saying they were going to "be kinder to their PC audience" Well I guess that was just a big fucking lie! Who would of thunk?!

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
That's not a huge surprise, Battlefield has been tied to Origin since 2011, buying the BF3 disk still means a 20GB download to actually play it. Never bought the BF4 disc and even if I did that game's a 50-something GB download anyway.

I can understand being a little annoyed about it, but the always online multiplayer only game isn't really disc dependent anyway.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
Deathfish15 said:
EA: "People like discs so to not bottleneck their internet with our overly large, unzipped files. Here's our middle finger."
There will probably be a multi-gigabyte day 1 patch so it's not like you'll save much bandwidth with the disc anyway.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
I seriously don't understand the gall that people have to sell a freaking box with a code in it...I mean, for real, that defeats the purpose of selling things in a god damned box. OR even more insulting, selling a DVD, with just an installation of Steam on it (MGS5). What in the hell are people even thinking?

I guess it's EA and it's Battlefield, and they'll continue to do whatever they want. Even if people complain, they'll still do it while handing over credit card numbers. I haven't touched a Battlefield game since they started forcing online only, and I'm not about to change.

As far as business practices, I don't even blame them if they simply don't want to sell discs anymore for PC - they will respond to the market after all, and if people are just downloading their games on Origin rather than buying the discs, I can understand it doesn't make sense to keep producing them. But an empty box?

I just feel sorry for anyone who thinks they can buy a disc, take it home, install and play it. Those days are long gone it seems. I know it's getting to be a bit of a geriatric "games back in my day" kind of thing, but it still makes me freakin sad.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
So many shocked and appalled, yet here's me laughing my ass off.

What were you all expecting? Something good? This is an EA/post-BF:BC/post-Mirror's Edge DICE game. BC2, BF3, BF4, and SW:BF should have been evidence enough.

So many were suckered in by a slick trailer and promises of a WWI setting, blinded to all the bullshit they should have known were coming.

Up next: overpriced map packs and season pass(es), limited 3rd party server support (if any), limited mod support (if any), pay-to-win microtransactions.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But that's a bet I'm willing to take.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Just out of curiosity, is there any actual reason why the collector's edition isn't available on PC? I really don't see how it could be any more trouble to ship a PC case with code inside rather than shipping a console case.

Whatever, I have no interest in collector's editions at the best of times (I don't give a fuck about statues and trinkets unless they'll be worth something later), and I don't care about Battlefield, hence, I don't care about Battlefield's collector's edition.

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
Elfgore said:
Who would of thunk?!
Near miss.

OT: I build my pc on a super tight budged and have therefore no disk drive to begin with. So I don't much care. I'm interested to see, though, how this will impact sales after everybody has vented sufficiently.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
So everyone else has an analogue version available? Cool, I look forward to playing it on vinyl.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
And of course, there is going to be a shitstorm about this, because it is EA and old habits die hard. Even when 90% of the people that play games on PC haven't bought a physical game in the last decade.

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
Kahani said:
So everyone else has an analogue version available? Cool, I look forward to playing it on vinyl.
Mass Effect had that grainy feel you only get from Vinyl. That's why it had one of the best endings in video game history.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Ehh. Ehhh. Meh.

Was gonna grab it digital anyway, I don't have the space for more physical media and honestly I prefer having my library digital these days.

The shitstorm from the maybe 5% of PC gamers that abstain digital distribution will amuse though, y ou don't even have to buy it on Origin plenty of other outlets will be selling it and many (GMG, Amazon) tend to have solid discounts around launch.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Eh,the way the title is worded I thought this meant the opposite, as in if you weren't in NA, you'd not be able to get a digital version, which would be weird.

This is fine though, been some 7 years since I've bought a physical PC game, don't give a shit.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Well, being EA, you knew the thing was going to have to go through Origin anyway. And being a (likely) popular online multiplayer title, the patches are certain to come fast and furious; within a month, the game you bring online is likely to bear only a passing resemblance to the code you would install from the disk.

It's still crap, of course, just completely unsurprising crap. Not that I intend to buy it in any case.