Battlefield 1942 Goes Free

juyunseen

Nov 21, 2011
Welp. I considered breaking my vow to not touch Origin for this.

Then I remembered that I own a physical copy of the game.

I have the dumb today.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
charge52 said:
So... I forget, why does everyone hate origin exactly? I mean yeah, the interface isn't the best but that doesn't sound like it justifies all this hate. I haven't used it for a multiplayer game yet, so is that the problem, does it fuck with multiplayer?
I've run this lap about half a dozen times, now, so I'll just say, start here:

[link]http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/9359-Dear-Origin-You-Stink[/link]

then Google "problems with EA Origin" and read any of a dozen articles from the likes of Rock, Paper, Shotgun; Giant Bomb, Destructoid, et. al.

At best, Origin aids and abets the continuation and escalation of EA policies that treat customers somewhere between "commodity" and "enemy". At worst- well, read some of those links.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Haters gonna hate.

It's free, take it or leave it. Don't ***** about it.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I think that it's a US/Canada only thing (again). I had to use a VPN to get it.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
The amount of Origin hate in this thread is frankly disgusting. As I'd be willing to bet most of those people use Steam, and hate Origin for no other reason than it's in vogue to do so.

"FREE GAME, BUT I HAVE TO USE DRM THAT ISN'T STEAM? LOLNOTHANKS."

Way to go community. Really plowing my faith in humanity into the dirt. Thanks.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Callate said:
charge52 said:
So... I forget, why does everyone hate origin exactly? I mean yeah, the interface isn't the best but that doesn't sound like it justifies all this hate. I haven't used it for a multiplayer game yet, so is that the problem, does it fuck with multiplayer?

[link]http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/9359-Dear-Origin-You-Stink[/link]

then Google "problems with EA Origin" and read any of a dozen articles from the likes of Rock, Paper, Shotgun; Giant Bomb, Destructoid, et. al.

At best, Origin aids and abets the continuation and escalation of EA policies that treat customers somewhere between "commodity" and "enemy". At worst- well, read some of those links.
And you'll mostly come up with sensationalist bullcrap. Or out of date information. But it's easy to peddle hate and vitriol I guess.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Callate said:

Considering that Shamus Young is a fanboy and experience points is quite possibly the worst thing I have ever read on the Escapist, you will need to try harder than that

OT: meh I have nothing against Origin but I really don't care for the older battlefield games. But I do think its worth noting that this is the fourth free game give away from EA I can think of off the top of my head When was the last time valve gave me free games?

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Frostbite3789 said:
The amount of Origin hate in this thread is frankly disgusting. As I'd be willing to bet most of those people use Steam, and hate Origin for no other reason than it's in vogue to do so.

I know some Steam users who use(d) Origin as well (mainly due to ME3), and that includes me, and I've been called a Steam fanboy several times.
While I don't like having to use it, and would much prefer having everything on Steam, I try to give it a chance to make me like it.
I think most of the users who complain about Origin never even used it. Many people hate EA (for legitimate reasons) and the fact the Origin collects certain information about the user's computer doesn't help. I just leave it off and only use it when I need to.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
Not only do you have to use origin but they're not giving away the expansions as well. That sucks.
Who cares, the demo map "Wake Island" is the best map in 1942. I never bought the full product but played the demo for a good two years.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
Victory for me. I have my old disk and the Road to Rome expansion. Somewhere. But I can never find the case and I really don't want to deal with keeping the disk on hand. Besides, I'm sure I would have to get Origin eventually for something. May as well get a free copy of a game I love while I'm at it.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Frostbite3789 said:
[And you'll mostly come up with sensationalist bullcrap. Or out of date information. But it's easy to peddle hate and vitriol I guess.
Easier still to dismiss it out of hand without addressing it.

Crazyjay

Jan 6, 2010
Highly recommend downloading this if you want to try out the game. Cant play with people with physical discs, but EA has servers up. Actually really fun to come back to this game. You can always delete Origin if you ever want to get rid of the game so no big deal.

Akexi

May 15, 2008
Sorry, not going to let that puss ridden rot of forceful marketing known as Origin on my computer.

WickedFire

Apr 25, 2011
Hallowed are the Ori...

Would you class John Riccitiello as the power hungry ascended beings or merely the Doci?

(Cookies available for getting potential painfully extended reference.)

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
I have Origin, and I have games on it, it doesn't bother me. This is free. Ftw. One more to the collection.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
Frostbite3789 said:

*shrugs* for me there's only two things I don't like about origin 1) I get taxed and 2) all my expansions are seperate instead of together (can hide it but still) I won't be using instead of steam (don't get taxed buying games on steam) but honestly it's not that bad

Latenz1134

Feb 23, 2012
Luckily for me I have the physical copy of the game, including expansions. However I have misplaced the CD Key and am unable to install, so it is nice I can pick this up for free. Hopefully it doesn't get iffy with mods.