Battlefield 1943! Announced!

Steelfists

Aug 6, 2008
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/02/05/battlefield-1943-confirmed/

A sequel to one of the most awesome multiplayer games ever! BF2 (For PC of course).

At first glance I was over the moon, but then I read the article... 24 players? That sort of sucks. Some people prefer tighter, more focused teamplay, but I always liked feeling like I was part of a larger whole, even if it was not particularly cohesive.

In fact, in BF2 at least, I always found that tactics on a grander scale usually worked themselves out, using Wake Island 2007 as an example: Two squads would insert by boat, one by helicopter, snipers would set up on the small Island, and the jets and attack chopper would blow the shit out of everything.
It wasn't organised, it just worked because everyone liked and were good at different jobs.

Well, maybe I shouldn't just want another BF2, but with better graphics and in WW2.

What do you think? Yes you.

JokerGrin

Jan 11, 2009
I'm completely sick of WW2, but it looks interesting enough. I think 24 players is still plenty. A couple of large squads and a few snipers on each side and there could be some nice tactics involved.

curlycrouton

Jul 13, 2008
Thank the heavens, the day has finally arrived! It's a bit of a downer that it's back in World War II, but who cares?

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

I cannot wait to play Wake Island on BF3.

I'm still waiting for Battlefield Heroes though.....I played the beta, it was alright, but it's been closed for four months, and they've severely delayed the release date.

cyber_andyy

Dec 31, 2008
Forgive me if this passes me by as DICE seem to hate people with security on their router. My bros' copy of BF2 which he bought, (silly him) is only good for playing AIX.

Steelfists

Aug 6, 2008
JokerGrin said:
I'm completely sick of WW2, but it looks interesting enough. I think 24 players is still plenty. A couple of large squads and a few snipers on each side and there could be some nice tactics involved.
Maybe in a more infantry focused game, but I finds that vehicles eat up a lot of that. (Players, that is)

I mean, thats 12 per team. You're going to have at least one fighter (1 person) and one light bomber (2-3 people, I think). That leaves about 9 people, which is basically one landing craft. To take the whole of Wake Island. I find that a bit crap.

Steelfists

Aug 6, 2008
curlycrouton said:
I'm still waiting for Battlefield Heroes though.....I played the beta, it was alright, but it's been closed for four months, and they've severely delayed the release date.
I think it may be problems with the whole browser format. Apparently, in the beta, you just click a button on a webpage, and it boots up an application from your hard drive... which seems a bit pointless really. I assume DICE are beavering away at that as we speak.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Hm.

I have high hopes for it. I won't argue the "more players = better game" argument because it's usually not the case.

I'd love to revisit some of the older game's maps (Iwo Jima, Wake Island). I just hope the engine is good.

It seems to be a BF 2 reskin, which isn't necessarily bad, but isn't necessarily good either.

Looks fun. I don't think it's really a battlefield 3, but they're gonna go back and do what they really wanted to with 1942 last time.

J.B

Feb 4, 2009
Great news!

24 player's is more than enough. I like to think that it will make the whole squad-feeling a lot tighter.

And did anyone else have something happen in their pants when they saw the destructable trees?

curlycrouton

Jul 13, 2008
Steelfists said:
curlycrouton said:
I think it may be problems with the whole browser format. Apparently, in the beta, you just click a button on a webpage, and it boots up an application from your hard drive... which seems a bit pointless really. I assume DICE are beavering away at that as we speak.
Yeah, it actually got really annoying after a while, because I had to enter my password and username twice, but I presume that was something to do with the whole beta issue.

It has its problems, like players being able to take ridiculous amounts of damage, and I'm not too keen on this method whereupon the game chooses a server for you, but it's still a lot of fun, and a relaxing way to blow off steam for half an hour or so. It's also incredibly easy to run.

jahsol

Jan 14, 2009
OH MY GOD! BF: 1942 is still one of my all time favorite multi player game, and now a direct sequel with a new graphic engine. I can die now. Bad company 2 as well. On the PC? I guess next they are going to say Heroes will come out tomorrow, only then will will it top the DICE high I have right now.

http://planetbattlefield.gamespy.com/

Official sites:

http://battlefield1943.com/

http://www.battlefield.com/badcompany2/

Dmatix

Feb 3, 2009
Just cant get excited about this. the market is so saturated with similar FPS titles, im bored with them by now.

L33tsauce_Marty

Jun 26, 2008
Ok I almost jizzed in my pants when I saw the title...but this just looks like bad company mixed with BF2. Meh, I'll buy it.

FelixofMars

Oct 31, 2007
Its not really Battlefield 3 though, its more like a download only version of 1942 by the sounds of it. With new levels and an updated engine. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing as the original game was probably one of the better versions.

Its easy to say all FPS games are the same, but then you can do it with any game. The mechanics are different for almost every one and if people didn't like them they wouldn't make them!

Raven28256

Sep 18, 2008
WWII again? Ugh...Forgive me if I'm not jumping up and down in enthusiastic glee quite yet. I mean, don't get me wrong, I've been waiting for a REAL new installment in the Battlefield franchise but...It is just hard to get excited over WWII games anymore.

Actually, scratch that. This isn't technically Battlefield 3. It is sort of like Heroes. As in, it is another spin-off to keep us interested until the REAL Battlefield 3 comes along.

jahsol

Jan 14, 2009
FelixofMars said:
Its not really Battlefield 3 though, its more like a download only version of 1942 by the sounds of it.
You are correct sir! That is the only thing that scares me I hate EA dowload game system. I don't think we will see a true Battlefield 3 this year. Not with Heroes, Bad Company 2, and now 1943 dropping this year. These games seem to be the pacifier.