Battlefield 3: Close Quarters DLC Takes Combat Indoors

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Battlefield 3: Close Quarters DLC Takes Combat Indoors

Didn't your mother ever tell you to take your damned horsing around and gunfights outside?

Battlefield 3's multiplayer is known for its wide-open, sprawling maps that let players jump out of airplanes to bazooka other airplanes [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114667-Watch-the-Greatest-Plane-Kill-in-Battlefield-3], among other things. This June, EA and DICE hope to change that with "Close Quarters," a DLC pack that focuses heavily on short-range, indoor combat.

The trailer you see here to the right focuses on "Donya Fortress," one of four new maps included in the new pack. True to the DLC's name, the combat is up-close and personal, though we do see some slightly open areas in the form of a palatial courtyard that would be serene and relaxing if it weren't currently being blown the hell up.

Also, the trailer does a magnificent job at highlighting how the Battlefield 3 engine handles terrain destruction. Watching the shards of stone and masonry fly around the battlefield is almost more brutal than watching the actual human characters dying in bloody carnage.

I feel really bad for the janitors, let me tell you that.

Battlefield 3: Close Quarters is slated for a June release, with the PS3 getting it a week early. Check it out here [http://www.battlefield.com/uk/battlefield3/1/close-quarters].

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Hardcore Scope-staring action!

Tunnel-vision like you've never seen before!

Like Battlefield but wish there was less field and less battles! This is for you!

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
I am not against this type of gameplay for battlefield in theory and from what I have heard about the maps themselves they actually do have a lot of flanking routes and paths to take unlike Metro(my god that maps is awful, would have been for nearly any game.

That said, the choices DICE made beforehand like giving the class with unlimited ammo CLAYMORES will likely come back to bite them.

Still, I am willing to give them a chance and new weapons are always appreciated. Plus there is always Armored kill on the horizon.

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
Not a fan of this. I play Support and its gonna suck for this DLC. Heavy machine guns do not make for good CQC.
TheSapphireKnight said:
I am not against this type of gameplay for battlefield in theory and from what I have heard about the maps themselves they actually do have a lot of flanking routes and paths to take unlike Metro(my god that maps is awful, would have been for nearly any game.

That said, the choices DICE made beforehand like giving the class with unlimited ammo CLAYMORES will likely come back to bite them.

Still, I am willing to give them a chance and new weapons are always appreciated. Plus there is always Armored kill on the horizon.
You can only have one claymore out at a time. Besides, the C4 and mortar are much more useful. And as a tank driver, yes to Armored Kill.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
TheSapphireKnight said:
Been patched, you can only have 1 active claymore at a time
Daemascus said:
Not a fan of this. I play Support and its gonna suck for this DLC. Heavy machine guns do not make for good CQC
Get a friend to watch your flanks, and set up a lane yourself and you'll rack up serious kills with a LMG or HMG.

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
Daemascus said:
Not a fan of this. I play Support and its gonna suck for this DLC. Heavy machine guns do not make for good CQC.
Trade out for a SMG or Shotgun. Other than that, find a good lane to create into bottleneck for foes.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
But... the maps with choke points are terrible.

Ah well. That scenery destruction was awfully sexy.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
The things I hate most about Battlefield are the times when your objective is five hundred yards away, and when the closest cover to you is the enemy tank one hundred yards away. So yes, I think I will enjoy this DLC.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
TheSapphireKnight said:

Unlike COD, claymores are not nearly as useful as C4 (atleast in my experience.)

Anyways, Im looking foward to this, I might have to buy a bigger HDD for my 360.

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
It might be fun if you can shot down walls and roofs/floors to surprise someone a bit... At least until everyone learns how and what is destructible and not...

But BF3 has had some bugs thats really annoying.... and a popups "this-and-that-badge" points and everything makes the screen very cluttered, but it's still more fun than CoD

Oh well back to kill all those "recon" that don't do anything useful and "javelin=guaranteed-kill"ers.... :)

6unn3r

Aug 12, 2008
Dice seem to have forgoten the field part of the battlefield name....
This is how it will go:

Spawn
Walk/run to fight
Get shot by someone with a shotgun/you cant see
Die
Repeat

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
WanderingFool said:
TheSapphireKnight said:

Unlike COD, claymores are not nearly as useful as C4 (atleast in my experience.)

Anyways, Im looking foward to this, I might have to buy a bigger HDD for my 360.
The point, you all missed it. The claymores are not as bad anymore, however as they tend to do, they bring out the worst in the playerbase. People complained about the Recon players having it BF2 but at least they had to find a support to replenish it. The same with C4.

Most of my issues on that front stem from my bitterness over gimping the Recon class by removing C4(I <3 2142) so I admit some bias.

For clarification, I am LOOKING FORWARD TO CQ. I am just a bit hesitant because of the suckhole players that run around on TDM. However since the maps are designed for and around the smaller player counts I am hopeful that there will not be as exploitable areas. The patch has helped alot as well.

Everything seems to look like it will work out all right. Metro has given me such a bad taste in my mouth that it is hard to get into the idea of CQ. Seriously though, Fuck Metro.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
TheSapphireKnight said:
The claymores are not as bad anymore, however as they tend to do, they bring out the worst in the playerbase. People complained about the Recon players having it BF2 but at least they had to find a support to replenish it. The same with C4.
They were called Snipers back then (WHOOHOO, WOOKIES!) and even if they replenished ammunition, the claymores would disappear so that only 2 of them could hang around.

This didn't happen in the infamous 1.2 patch. Unlimited claymores, anyone?

Daemascus said:
Back in BF2, support was a beast in CQB. Specially with the PKM or the 3-round burst in the MG36.

In 1.2 the PKM was almost one-hit-one-kill and it didn't spread as much. One guy with a PKM could handle a 6-man squad of Medics. Not even exaggerating.

6unn3r said:
Dice seem to have forgoten the field part of the battlefield name....
This is how it will go:

Spawn
Walk/run to fight
Get shot by someone with a shotgun/you cant see
Die
Repeat
You forgot how Battlefield games are in practice.

Spawn.
Support peppers you with MG fire the moment you start playing.
Spawn.
Claymore on spawn.
Squad leader is advancing. Spawn on him.
He's being targeted by nade spam.
Spawn away from combat.
A loner trying to capture your flag spawnkills you.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
GOOD, GOOOOOD, just what we needed, giving retards even more reason to use the retarded USAS12 with the frag rounds. Well done people, well done.

Also why more indoor maps? Thanks to this server renting bullshit its hard to find a map that isnt Operation Metro, with 50000 tickets so it just goes on and on and on forever.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Zhukov said:
But... the maps with choke points are terrible.

Ah well. That scenery destruction was awfully sexy.
That depends. Every map has at least some chokepoints, they become terrible when there are no ways around them. In other words, Metro.

But you know what I want for a CQB expansion pack? An added lean function. Do they really expect us to constantly fight pretty much away from cover? Are they mad?!
wooty said:
Also why more indoor maps? Thanks to this server renting bullshit its hard to find a map that isnt Operation Metro, with 50000 tickets so it just goes on and on and on forever.
Really? I usually just filter it out.

Chunga the Great

Sep 12, 2010
Meh. Battlefield without vehicle combat and amazingly good tank battles just isn't Battlefield. I hope for Armored Kill they bring back El Alamein from BF 1942. That map had frickin amazing vehicle combat.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
As someone who now considers Battlefield his main multiplayer game of the moment, this is honestly the last thing Battlefield needs.

The game plays much better on bigger maps. The gunplay, while not terrible, does not work well with close quarters like this.

Edit: Though I will say, fuck yeah, the AUG back.

WanderingFool said:
It's not even really a problem with them being overpowered, it's more just that they have no place in the game at all. The very idea of the claymore in a game like Battlefield is ridiculous among itself.

It's just not a good multiplayer thing.

Nightmonger

Jul 1, 2010
Hmmm i sense lots of engineer rocket spam in the future (me included)
However i think i will jump on the band wagon that is waiting for armored kill that is much more my sort of thing and i'm placing my bet now that they bring back highway tampa.

What they should do is a special forces dlc i want me a zipline dammit!