Battlefield 3 DLC Hops the "Timed Exclusive" Train

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Battlefield 3 DLC Hops the "Timed Exclusive" Train

DLC releases for the upcoming Battlefield 3 will be timed exclusives - on the PlayStation 3.

Modern combat shooters and timed-exclusive DLC go together like Activision and the Xbox 360, and that's probably not coincidental since Activision has made a habit - some would say an annoying habit - of putting Battlefield 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Ops-Xbox-360/dp/B003JVKHEQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316707506&sr=8-1], with a little bit of a twist.

"You'll be happy to know that, starting with our first expansion pack Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand (released later this year), all full-blown upcoming expansion packs for the game will appear one week early exclusively on PlayStation 3!" Tommy Rydling of DICE wrote on the PlayStation Blog [http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/09/22/battlefield-3-beta-dates-and-ps3-dlc-exclusivity-2/].

I'm not sure how happy 360 or PC players will actually be about this, but on the upside it's only a one-week exclusive window. I'm not a fan of timed-exclusive DLC of any sort but at least that's not an overly outrageous wait time. Battlefield 3 comes out on October 25 for the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
for some reason, I find it funny

like it's a straight "fuck you, broseph" to Activision

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010

I don't care about timed exclusives (I had to wait for 5 years to finally play Stranger's Wrath on the PC), but given Microsoft's past record of jerkiness, I don't know how they'll take this news of "timed exclusives for our Xbox or GTFO".

CombiBlood

Nov 18, 2009
It's only a week long exclusive not like some other games do I am not just talking about COD.

Tigurus

Apr 14, 2009
I dislike it when a certain certain consoles get things earlier or get more than the others.
Even though I got it pre-ordered and thus get it directly. (else they are bastards)

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I am an Xbox owner and I will say good for them, maybe it will teach Microsoft to stop waisting money on deals like these.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Seems fair, what with Activision and Bethesda holding back DLC for months for the PS3.
So yeah, right on.
I hope Xbox players will be sensible about this and realise that it's only fair, what with microsoft blackmailing developers to essentially limit games on ALL platforms so that they all run at the same level or below.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
>one week early

Scuse me while I go look for fucks to give.

josemlopes said:
I am an Xbox owner and I will say good for them, maybe it will teach Microsoft to stop waisting money on deals like these.
Heartily agreed, those timed exclusives encourage abnormal douchebaggery in my behavior and only hurt the companies making this shit in the long run. Does it encourage maybe an extra 100 or 200 in console sales? Possibly but let's be honest, that doesn't count in the 'long' run.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
While timed-exclusives are the work of Satan in my eyes, and DLC not being much better, it's nice to see the PS3 getting some love. Having it only a week long is excellent as well, because seriously, fuck waiting a month for content just because I had the audacity to buy my game on PC. I won't buy another piece of CoD DLC though. I wasted my money on the Black ops map packs and thoroughly regret it. Good maps, not worth the price though.

also, fuck Microsoft, and fuck Activision.

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
I don't really like the idea of timed exclusives, and I feel like this would make some petty 360 users not buy the game, I'm glad they did it. I'm a pc user and I still like it. Finally someone takes a shot at Microsofts almost monopoly on timed releases. It makes me like Battlefield 3 that much more.

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
It's just a week not something special,also i might be getting the limited edition so i won't have to wait.

MrJKapowey

Oct 31, 2010
Sizzle Montyjing said:
Seems fair, what with Activision and Bethesda holding back DLC for months for the PS3.
So yeah, right on.
I hope Xbox players will be sensible about this and realise that it's only fair, what with microsoft blackmailing developers to essentially limit games on ALL platforms so that they all run at the same level or below.
Yeah, it'll give the PS3 players at my school a chance to get back at me for my jibes at playing Moon first...

OT: Yeah, I don't really care. It'll give me a chance for info to go up on the wiki and vids to appear so I can see whether I want it or not before buying them.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Wow, one full, whole week!
For people who own both consoles surely a very, very good reason to go PS3 on this one!
Oh wait, this is all about on which network all your buddies are... useless exclusivity thus proven!

archabaddon

Jan 8, 2007
One week early on PS3 is still better than 6 months early on XBox 360. I'm looking at you, FNV: Dead Money. Not saying I ever support timed exclusives, but it could be worse.

Hashbrick

Mar 20, 2009
This game was designed for the PC fanbase (You know the ones that made them who they are today) first and console second... well ya so much for that huh

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Kyogissun said:
>one week early

Scuse me while I go look for fucks to give.

josemlopes said:
Heartily agreed, those timed exclusives encourage abnormal douchebaggery in my behavior and only hurt the companies making this shit in the long run. Does it encourage maybe an extra 100 or 200 in console sales? Possibly but let's be honest, that doesn't count in the 'long' run.
It actually lost Bethesda a day one sale from me. I had every intention of picking up New Vegas somewhere close to release for the PS3. Back when I had a crap computer. Then I heard DLC on the PS3 wouldn't be out until months after it came out on the 360.

Instead I didn't get it until a month or so ago off Steam when it was sale during Quakecon weekend.

I can't imagine I'm the only sale they lost because of that. They eventually got me, but at a far discounted price.