Battlefield 3 Sells a Lot

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Battlefield 3 Sells a Lot

EA putting its weight behind Battlefield has paid off.

Activision has held the crown for best-selling game the last few years with the Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops entries in the Call of Duty series. Rival publisher Electronic Arts has acted like a younger brother complaining that its games were really good, too! Hey, look at me! Now it seems that whining has finally paid off with EA reporting Battlefield 3 sold five million copies the first week it was available. In fact, EA said that the military shooter is now the fastest-selling game in the publisher's 29-year history, and players enjoyed killing each other on EA's servers this weekend with a 98.9 percent connection rate. Take that, CoD!

"We are overwhelmed by the global response to Battlefield 3," said Patrick Soderlund from EA. "It is extremely gratifying to deliver an entertainment experience that delights our fans, and to have the opportunity to introduce new people to the franchise. Already, we are seeing unprecedented play times and online activity which is very rewarding. This launch solidifies Battlefield as a leading entertainment brand."

EA released some frighteningly violent stats as well: Battlefield players executed 73 million savior kills, 48 million revives and destroyed 67 million vehicles. Perhaps even more terrifying, 2.5 Million Facebook user said they "liked" such wanton destruction. What can men do against such reckless hate?

Of course, Activision's Modern Warfare 2 sold Black Ops is still printing money [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96054-Did-Modern-Warfare-2-Sell-7-Million-Copies-in-One-Day]. Battlefield might be doing better than EA's attempt at dethroning the king last year with Medal of Honor, but there's still progress to be made.

And who knows how ridiculously well Modern Warfare 3 will sell when it comes out next week?

(Answer: 14 googolplexes.)

Source: Electronic Arts [http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=619404]

Calico93

Jul 31, 2010
This is obvious but, the more MW3 is likely to sell, doesnt mean its a better game.

NewYork_Comedian

Nov 28, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Take that, CoD!
Err, not that I am upset that Battlefield 3 sold so well, but it's not like this is like a huge *****-slap to Activison. If it took a week for BF3 to sell 5 million copies, and it took one day for Modern Warfare 2 to sell seven million copies, then I think the sales figures for MW3 will be almost double that of Battlefield 3.

Davih

May 7, 2011
Shouldn't they have waited for MW3 release before comparing the franchises?

lee1287

Apr 7, 2009
Never liked BF. Not sure why. Wont be getting MW3 Either, no time for it, Gears 3 has it all, and ACR.

Xannieros

Jul 29, 2008
In fact, EA said that the military shooter is now the fastest-selling game in the publisher's 29-year history, and players enjoyed killing each other on EA's servers this weekend with a 98.9 percent connection rate. Take that, CoD!
98.9 connection rate? Funny, I was under the impression that many users are experiencing crashes. And some not even able to get into a game, because of battelog. Must not be counting PC gamers.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
That's 5 million computers infected with Origin. I remember when spyware was something you wanted to keep off your HDD, not pay money for. *sigh*

EDIT: Scrap that. Silly me, they're not all PC gamers. ^^°
Still...

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
It is kind of sad to see the cost effective genres slowly dwindling. As the price to make a game increases, fewer and fewer genres are viable as AAA titles. It seems like all you see nowadays are action RPGs and FPS games. I wonder if it will dwindle even further? Eventually finding any other genre will require looking to indie developers.

SilverKyo

Apr 15, 2009
I was going to get BF3...but apparently my two year old graphics card isn't good enough to handle it properly and I don't have the cash to shell out to buy a new one. I'll pick this game up eventually, but it'll be a couple months at best unfortunately. Guess I won't be getting a new shooter for my computer this year, just be sticking to Gears of War for a little while longer. And screw CoD, those games can suck it for all I care.

Exar Kun85

Apr 4, 2011
Well that is great and all but I will however avoid this BF3 vs. MW3 fight and instead enjoy the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection.

Domehammer

Jun 17, 2011
Means that 98.9 connection rate equals that not everyone can play or people do not have online for console. It seems like just pointless statistic to sound credible for being close to 100 percent.

edited out misinformed part I was corrected about.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Mumorpuger said:
Greg Tito sounds like a Call of Duty fan.

(A regular Shirlock I am, I know. :p)
Even if he is, he isnt wrong to point out that it took a week for Battlefield 3 to sell less copies than Modern Warfare 2 did in a single day.

Personally I can not wait for MW3 to get released and for those sales figures to absolutely blow Battlefield 3 away if only so I can see that one guy at EA go "We so took 1% of your market share away Activision. Suck it!" Then someone at Activision will be all "And guess what...we sold enough copies of MW3 to buy EA so...you're fired." It'll be hilarious.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
With all the crap ea decided to put on the pc version, I would almost have rather this thing tank, although then I guess more the a few publishers would be rethinking pc focus... I don't know, I'm just not happy about the back end and I'm still annoyed at them for doing it, considering how long I waited for the game.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
What I've heard of my friends is mostly about connection problems, the crappyness of Battlelog the annoying crap Origin...etc....

I'll not touch it until its on a service I mostly trust. Steam for example.