Battlefield 3 Teaser Demonstrates Proper Anti-Sniper Demolition

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Death_Korps_Kommissar said:
dogstile said:
I'm assuming this was campaign, I bet that sort of destruction won't last into multi.

I'm still buying it.
It said somewhere that explosion wasn't scripted.
Care to quote it? Would help a little.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
By the end of that video, I was literally as close to a :D as I could manage.

I need a new graphics card just to play this on DX11. Yes, need.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Impressive set pieces, acting and explosions. But why is everything grey? Does this game take place in Glasgow or something?

That is one thing I don't get about apocalyptic settings. They always feature barren, brown/grey terrain whereas in reality, cities would become overgrown by weeds, shrubs etc. There should actually be more colour. That is one of the things I liked about Bioshock 2: the already impressive rusted art deco setting gets even more character because of the luminous coral and decay.

delroland

Sep 10, 2008
That's because it isn't "Hello Kitty Island Apocalypse Adventure".

Which I would totally play.

KAR849

Sep 6, 2010
Well... if the game is going for realism it sure has some untrained opponents. As it has been mentioned, the sniper missed all his shots, but additionally: (a) he shouldn't even try from such a sketchy position without a clear shot and (b) switch position after a couple of shots.

Also, the squad shouldn't really bunch up like that. Seemed like they had much better position options. And I guess that rpg wasn't for anti-tank purposes with that kind of explosion...

But hey, it's just a game, and a good looking one. Realism pfft!

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
dogstile said:
dogstile said:
I'm assuming this was campaign, I bet that sort of destruction won't last into multi.

I'm still buying it.
It said somewhere that explosion wasn't scripted.
Care to quote it? Would help a little.
Ooops just miss read the OP, my bad.
Its ok, we all make mistakes.

And looking at the destruction more closely, it seems that only the windows smashed, not the whole building. Faith restored.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
So, this was very clearly from a single-player campaign and scripted. I dunno why it's being promoted as if it were some multiplayer strategy demo.

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Well given that the game is trying to be realistic, that Sniper was just suppressing them, which need I remind you is very useful in battle. It's been stated that for each insurgent killed roughly 250,000 shots are used for suppression.
Lol, it's just Battlefield, don't go out on any limbs to defend it.

When you're a sniper all on your own, suppression and suicide are synonymous. Snipers only fire one bullet, hit or miss. That guy really did suck, as .50 rounds would have gone straight through that little parapet and sprayed the whole squad with splinters on the way out.

Interesting how they said "Clear your backblast." I highly doubt that the game features backblast, although this realistic aspect would actually force players armed with RPGs to stand in the open and prevent them from camping in buildings. They would also be unable to shoot down aircraft if they were close underneath them. Would solve a lot of bitching about nube tubes,

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
OK, that whole 'bullets make you flinch when you're shot at' thing - is that new, or has that been in battlefield games before? Because it looks awesome, and means that an LMG could finally do its job properly!

pha kin su pah

Mar 26, 2008
Hard to say that explosion wasn't really scripted when i imagine its a focus point of the campaign at some stage, also odd that they would waste a disposable 1 shot rocket launcher on just a sniper.

otherwise looks great, but don't encourage the noobs to use rocket launchers to dispose of snipers.

Oyster^^

Dec 27, 2008
Dear lordy I need to invest in a new PC.

My snipe campin from BF2 just got nerfed. Any yet for some reason I can't wipe the smile off of my face???

The Random One

May 29, 2008
GamesB2 said:
Those graphics are sexy...
Man, I wish you had said the video was sexy, so I could say 'Indeed, it took four minutes to deliver two seconds of payoff.'

It does look good. If I can see buildings actually collapsing it's going to be awesome.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Man that looked awesome. I really wish I had a computer that could run it when it comes out. Oh well guess I'm stuck with the console version for now.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
Tiewing said:
Would be nice to see them fix some of those weapons. The one Marine doesn't even have rear iron sights and that M240 Bravo is all wrong; it has a 200 round M249 box mag which doesn't work with an M240. Also seems out of place being that your probably part of some sort of LAR or rifle platoon.

Other than that it's looking fairly promising.
actually, he does have rear sights (you can see at 1:08), the pork chop is out of place though, but, then again, it is in the future, could be the 240L, and for future reference, small recon platoons usually pack the 240 for the firepower, it's a nice weapon to reach out and touch somebody with. 5.56 just can't do what a 7.62 can do.

The Sane

Apr 2, 2010
Shattering windows and a bolted on sign with the shockwave from a rocket = building collapsed around him?

Yes, no need to locate him first, just shatter some windows at him.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Never fully got this sniper hate. Sure it's anoying to be snipped, hence why you have to learn to keep your heads down, move fast between cover etc. 'We want realistic battlefied games, but waaa we don't like snipers', please...

Also I am not quite seeing where this amazing beauty is that everyone is harping on about. The graphics look great, but no more than other recent PC games. I suppose for console owners it seems like a big improvement. But remember DICE has said this a PC aimed game, so not all the eye candy may make it to the console ports. These trailers are for the PC version.....

But anyway looking forwards to this and get my next battlefild fix.

GamerLuck

Questionably Opinionated
Jul 13, 2009
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
See, the Frostbite engine is why I'll always love Battlefield. I don't care if I don't have a job by the time this comes out, I WILL play this game.
GamerLuck said:
That Sniper sucked... Wasted all that ammo, didn't hit a single one of them. Deserved what he got I say :<
Well given that the game is trying to be realistic, that Sniper was just suppressing them, which need I remind you is very useful in battle. It's been stated that for each insurgent killed roughly 250,000 shots are used for suppression.
Get your logic out of my video games!!!
:p But seriously, I did know that real life snipers are rarely like video game ones, if at all, though I wasn't aware of that figure. themoreyouknow.jpeg