Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin

DICE says that even if you don't use Origin to buy Battlefield 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Battlefield-3-Limited-Pc/dp/B002I0HJZO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1313099319&sr=8-3], you'll still have to connect to EA's online service in order to play the game.

The reaction to news that the upcoming military shooter Battlefield 3 will not be available on Steam [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112129-EA-Confirms-No-Battlefield-3-on-Steam] was surprisingly strong. An awful lot of gamers are put off by the fact that if they want to buy the game online, they'll have to install Origin to do so.

But it turns out that Origin won't be mandatory just for those folks who like to shop online. All versions of the game will require a connection to Origin, according to DICE Global Battlefield Community Manager Daniel Matros, even those purchased at retail.

"Yes those 'rumors' are true," Matros tweeted [https://twitter.com/#!/zh1nt0/status/100892143303925760] in response to a question about reports on Battlefield forums that disc-based versions of the game will still require Origin.

It's not really a huge shock, given the online-focused nature of the game, but another client running in the background, sucking up CPU cycles and RAM, is not something that's likely to make gamers very happy. A lot of people have declared, sincerely or otherwise, that if they can't buy Battlefield 3 on Steam they won't buy it at all, and I wouldn't be too surprised if this has a similar impact.

Battlefield 3 comes out on October 25 for the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

via: Blue's News [http://www.bluesnews.com/s/124436/battlefield-3-will-require-origin]

XaVierDK

Jan 16, 2008
I understand EA wanting their own online service, especially if they can do it right, but this exclusivity thing, and the "must run in background to play" thing has already proven to be a terrible idea, and I don't want another program filling up my taskbar for no reason...
It's not so much the fact that it's sucking up CPU cylces (honestly, the amount it would suck up better be minuscule or they are bombarded with bad rep), but the fact that they are going to require the user to clutter up their system with ANOTHER program to run, to play their games... We'd rather not have to switch back and forth... Unless Origin is integrated in some ingenious way, I think this is going to backfire spectacularily...

Best Regards :)

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
TheGoldenMan said:
"Steam doesn't update EA games like we want them to so... No Battlefield. We promise! It's about updates!"

Days later. Battlefield requires Origin.
Fuck it. I'm playing it on my Xbox.
And many, MANY games require Steam. Everything bad people are going to say about this Valve has already done a long time ago.

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
PC gaming community freaks the he'll out regardless of the fact that valve did precisely the same thing years ago with Half-Life and Steam in order to force an early presence on the market in 3...2...

(and in answer to the above, if it is an issue of authentication and stat tracking, consoles will likely connect to EA in the background just like Mass Effect 2)

killamanhunter

Mar 24, 2009
OH NOEZ I HAF 2 US TEH DUM EA THNG?!?!

DIS GAM WIL SUK SCRW U EA!

I really don't see the problem, you can still keep your Steam browser and Steam games. All it is, is a new launcher for the game.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Saelune said:
I assume this only applies to the PC?
I can't say for sure, but I sincerely doubt the game would require you to install a third party program on a console.

OT: Well, that certainly sucks. Not sure how this will affect my purchase of the game yet, though. Might end up just sticking to 360 for this one.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
TheGoldenMan said:
"Steam doesn't update EA games like we want them to so... No Battlefield. We promise! It's about updates!"

You'd sacrifice 40 player slots just because you don't want to download a program? I can understand not liking it, but I'm willing to suck it up. 24 player limit versus a 64 on a Battlefield game just doesn't sound like it will work at all to me, unless they'll be cutting down the levels severely for console versions.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009

This makes me care even less than when they said no Battlefield 3 on Steam. Now I officially give 0 fucks whatsoever about this game because I am not giving half of my hard drive to EA's service...I already have to deal with Steam in the background for Christ's sake.

Apr 28, 2008
manythings said:
TheGoldenMan said:

And many, MANY games require Steam. Everything bad people are going to say about this Valve has already done a long time ago.
The difference is that Steam tries to make it worth your while. Origin offers absolutely nothing of value. What it does offer, everyone else does, and does better.

But yeah, a bit late to be angry about it. Gamers had their chance in 2004, but proved they'll accept any system for a high-profile game, no matter how shit.

And steam was VERY shit at launch.

HassEsser

Jul 31, 2009
Since I wholeheartedly refuse to get Origin and create an account for it, I'll be getting this release for my PlayStation 3.

Tesral

Jul 19, 2011
Darn it... I really want Battlefield 3, but i don't want to help support Origin, i'm firmly against the idea of EA taking their games off Steam to force us to use their service instead.
Caught in a bit of a pickle here.

XaVierDK

Jan 16, 2008
To be perfectly honest, having a program running in the background these days is less than an issue.. And if the program is put together properly (ie Steam as it looks now), it might actually be a benefit for most people... It's just perculiar to me that EA want to bring in their own service so badly.. Sure, Steam might need some competition, but initiate that competition on the basis of proper features and better prices, instead of exclusives and requirements...

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Fortunately for me this isn't a game I will be playing anyway.

I'm curious who thinks all this shit up.

First Steam and Battle.net and now EA with this Origins bollocks. Someone somewhere is having a hearty chuckle at gamers.