Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
I'll add my voice to the chorus of those who don't see what the big deal is. This is EXACTLY the same thing that Valve did with Half-Life 2 and you might think that Steam is pretty shit-hot now but believe me, it was a piece of crap when it launched. So why is it okay for one but not the other?
Even if steam was shit at launch it was different times back then, no major service was set up for online distribution at the time, so you can't really do the same kind of launch these days when a few services has already established themselves.
And at launch you only got your own titles to sell and DLCs doesn't look to good.

Also I do not trust any of my money to rentals that EA will handle...

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
Love the Valve fanboyism here, cute.

Seriously though, if EA terrify you that much then don't buy any of their games. If you don't care and want to play the game then do. I don't get people freaking out about how evil and terribly oppressive EA are but you're still gonna buy the stuff they're selling?
No sense is made.

Anyway people are being pretty fucking petty about this, oh no you need another free launcher on your PC. World is going to end. Yeah.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
EA needs to decide what they want to do: release a COD killer, or release a steam killer. They can't do both.

It took years of development to get Steam to the point where it is now and there's no way that Origin will be there anytime soon.

So, if EA wants BW3 to be competitive against MW3, they need every advantage they can get. For the PC, the best way to leverage your product is to release on Steam.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
So yeah, this is yet another game that only Pirates will have an easy time playing, as they will have cracked versions not requiring connection. DRM like this just does not work, FFS EA learn from others mistakes, dont make them too.

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
And here I was; I couldn't decide if I wanted to get Battlefield 3 for my PC or my 360.
Thanks for making it easier for me! XD

deckai

Oct 26, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
I'll add my voice to the chorus of those who don't see what the big deal is. This is EXACTLY the same thing that Valve did with Half-Life 2 and you might think that Steam is pretty shit-hot now but believe me, it was a piece of crap when it launched. So why is it okay for one but not the other?
As stated before, other times... other rules. And making the same mistakes others did years before doesn't justify them now.

Beside that, I don't like EA, they f**ked me already a few times over and I'm not willing to install more EA-software on my PC, than necessary. If they want me to use Origin, they first need to regain my trust, and pulling a game from one of my favorite distributors, isn't the best move in my book.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
EverythingIncredible said:
BioWare already definitively said that this isn't want they're going to do.
Not that I care about using their DRM, but didn't EA spend weeks swearing up and down that they weren't trashing Valve in favour of Origin? Just because Bioware said they wont, doesn't mean they're not lying.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Well this might be a concern, if anything EA made was on any interest to me. But since it isn't, it doesn't. If you want to pay Electronic Arts to screw you over with Origin, then go for it.

Apr 24, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Isn't that the problem? Not exactly selling me on the idea that being forced into dealing with the early days of origin isn't going to be a big headache.

I did see this coming a mile off, but I'm still kinda disappointed.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Hardcore_gamer said:
manythings said:
TheGoldenMan said:
"Steam doesn't update EA games like we want them to so... No Battlefield. We promise! It's about updates!"

Days later. Battlefield requires Origin.
Fuck it. I'm playing it on my Xbox.
And many, MANY games require Steam. Everything bad people are going to say about this Valve has already done a long time ago.
Origin is nothing like STEAM as according to what I have heard about it so far. STEAM has its cons yes, but for almost everything it takes away it gives something else back in return. Origin doesn't appear to do anything whatsoever besides kicking the consumer in the balls for the benefit of EA's wallet (or so they think, we will see how people will react to their scheme soon enough).
Origin is just like Steam. Except right now you only need it for a grand total of one game unlike Steam which appeared as a Requirement if you wanted to play the Orange box. You're options were install Steam or fuck yourself. They have been steadily increasing the number of occasions where those are your only options.

If EA are bad for doing it now Valve are worse for being the creating this whole idea.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Flailing Escapist said:
And here I was; I couldn't decide if I wanted to get Battlefield 3 for my PC or my 360.
Thanks for making it easier for me! XD
You should read about the compromises they're making for consoles.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111901-DICE-Details-Console-Compromises-in-Battlefield-3

I wouldn't want to touch the console version with those compromises.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Frost27 said:
PC gaming community freaks the he'll out regardless of the fact that valve did precisely the same thing years ago with Half-Life and Steam in order to force an early presence on the market in 3...2...

(and in answer to the above, if it is an issue of authentication and stat tracking, consoles will likely connect to EA in the background just like Mass Effect 2)
Actually, Steam was originally created to update Counter-strike more easily because at that time, Valve was frequently releasing a lot of smaller updates for the game. It wasn't meant to be a digital distribution platform at all at the beginning even less a way to force an early presence on the market. Over time more and more developers wanted to use it as well and sell their games through Steam because the service was really good. Something that I haven't heard about Origin yet, it's rather the opposite from people who have tested it.

OT: BF3 has gone from day one must buy, to I'll probably will buy it after testing it and now I doubt that I'll buy it at all.