Battlefield 3 won't be available on Steam.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
EA has announced this in a recent tweet and forum post, the recaps of which can be read here [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/06/battlefield-3-wont-be-sold-on-steam-ea-claims-service-restric/].

The claim largely goes that Steam is too restrictive for EA to give their customers the support the deserve. *cough*

Well that's me getting Red Orchestra 2 instead then for my 64 player shooting kicks.

Valate_v1legacy

Sep 16, 2009
The only EA game I intend to get for the PC is SW:TOR, and I'll just get a physical copy. I still like a bunch of their games, but Console ports are just less hassle intensive.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
Can someone please explain to me what the current war is between EA and steam, and then why steam is right.

also: EA you bunch of knicker wearing tosspots.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
More like steam didn't accept the ingame dlc or whatever they got planned for bf3 which was only made to bypass steams part of the profit.

JamieK09

Nov 25, 2009
I don't believe they are losing customers. Battlefield series has been the best team FPS I've played and I'm buying it no-matter what.

Also surely you could just add it to steam as a non-steam game? Problem solved?

I used to do it with C&C 3.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
Me55enger said:
Can someone please explain to me what the current war is between EA and steam, and then why steam is right.
EA came out with a new digital distribution store called Origin, to basically replace their old EA store. This new store comes with a new program you install on your computer similar to Steamworks, but its not exactly the same. Mostly that Origin doesn't need to be running for its games to work, and that it only sells EA games.

ACCORDING to EA, Steam has a clause in their contracts with companies that DLC they sell must be sold through Steam itself so they can get their cut of it. EA wants to sell it to you directly, and so once they release DLC for their new games (DA2, Crysis 2), the games must be removed from Steam. Valve has yet to confirm or deny that this is the cause or give us their side of the story, but the evidence does fit the pattern.

As for why gamers are so behind Valve? Well, a few years of good deals available for the holidays have warmed gamers hearts so much they don't mind that Steam is another form of DRM. And Steam got to us first, and we're harder to kick off our brands than the most hardened smoker.

eyesonflux

Sep 13, 2010
There is thread already about this
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.301452-Battlefield-3-not-coming-to-Steam

Become a proud user of search function.

Edit: I know that it's a old thread but it's better to bump up a old thread than creating a same thread all over again. :)

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Me55enger said:
Basically EA wants to move into the digital distribution marketplace that Steam has undeniably dominated so they're taking their own titles off of Steam and forcing people to use their own service instead.

No different really than when Microsoft and Sony fight to get things exclusive to the PS3 or 360 really. It's just that a lot of the Escapist has such a hard-on for anything Valve that they put EA instantly as the bad guys.

psicat

Feb 13, 2011
I'm glad that EA is not bowing down to Steam. I'm now proud to be an EA customer again. I also love all the Steam fanboy rage blaming EA.

Apr 28, 2008
So... in order to challenge MW3, a game that will sell millions on all consoles like the past two, they're going to release the game on Origin and everywhere else except the largest digital distributor with the largest audience on the PC?

I don't know whether or not this is arrogance or just stupidity.

Me55enger said:
Apparently Steam updated it's ToS so that if a game has DLC, it MUST be distributed through Steam, and not in-game store's or things of that nature.

As a result, some EA games were removed because they violate these Terms of Service.

I'd say Steam is in the right because it's just poetic justice. EA's ToS state that if you violate them EA removes your games from YOU. Steam removed EA's games because they violated the terms.

Don't you see? EA got a taste of what they do to their own customers!

Essentially, when EA signed up their games to Steam, they agreed to what Valve has set. Since some games violate what Valve has set, Valve removed them. Simple as that.

And EA could just distribute them through Steam. They do it well enough with Sims 3 DLC.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
MisterShine said:
Me55enger said:
EA came out with a new digital distribution store called Origin, to basically replace their old EA store. This new store comes with a new program you install on your computer similar to Steamworks, but its not exactly the same. Mostly that Origin doesn't need to be running for its games to work, and that it only sells EA games.

ACCORDING to EA, Steam has a clause in their contracts with companies that DLC they sell must be sold through Steam itself so they can get their cut of it. EA wants to sell it to you directly, and so once they release DLC for their new games (DA2, Crysis 2), the games must be removed from Steam. Valve has yet to confirm or deny that this is the cause or give us their side of the story, but the evidence does fit the pattern.

As for why gamers are so behind Valve? Well, a few years of good deals available for the holidays have warmed gamers hearts so much they don't mind that Steam is another form of DRM. And Steam got to us first, and we're harder to kick off our brands than the most hardened smoker.
On the flipside, Mass Effect 2 has you buying its DLC using "Bioware points" through their store and yet it remains on Steam, so that already is one major leaking hole in EA's story.

Daddy Go Bot

Aug 14, 2008
JamieK09 said:
I don't believe they are losing customers. Battlefield series has been the best team FPS I've played and I'm buying it no-matter what.

Also surely you could just add it to steam as a non-steam game? Problem solved?

I used to do it with C&C 3.
Removing BF3 from Steam is without a doubt gonna have an effect on sales, whether it be small or not. There's no getting around that.

Nauticus

Jul 23, 2011
Doesnt matter to me, even if i wanted to buy it for my steam account.

Aslong I dont have to sign up on that EA store thingy to play my physical copy.......

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
Well I'm not particularly fussed. There really isn't much of a problem with downloading and installing Origin (for most people anyway). I had to sign up to it in order to be an alpha tester, and it really isn't that different from Steam.

It's like Activision coming out with their own console, which behaves similarly to every other console, except that it only plays Activision games (and all new releases are exclusive to it), and then distributing it for free to whoever wants it.

The gamer outcry is all a bit over the top if you ask me.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
EA lying on Valve's Steam nahhhh EA honest and honorable company

GLo Jones said:
Well I'm not particularly fussed. There really isn't much of a problem with downloading and installing Origin (for most people anyway). I had to sign up to it in order to be an alpha tester, and it really isn't that different from Steam.

It's like Activision coming out with their own console, which behaves similarly to every other console, except that it only plays Activision games (and all new releases are exclusive to it), and then distributing it for free to whoever wants it.

The gamer outcry is all a bit over the top if you ask me.
The gamer outcry because they DON'T want this to become popular. Who in the fuck wants to sign into to different services just to be able to access one companies games. I'll rather have one huge hub, everybody working together and getting paid.

smartengine

Mar 23, 2010
Well, I know I won't be getting it via Origin. If it were on steam it was a probable get, but now if(less probable) I get it, it will be a hard copy.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
Pedro The Hutt said:
On the flipside, Mass Effect 2 has you buying its DLC using "Bioware points" through their store and yet it remains on Steam, so that already is one major leaking hole in EA's story.
True, however EA did mention that this clause in the contract was a new thing, so it may only apply to games released after a certain date, such as Crysis 2, DA2 and Dead Space 2. I can't actually think of other games released this year that DON'T sell their DLC through Steam, other than EA games.