Battlefield 3's Launch Trailer Highlights Single-Player Story

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Battlefield 3's Launch Trailer Highlights Single-Player Story

Watch soldiers get chatty in this pretty, plot-heavy launch trailer.

Battlefield 3's developers can be forgiven for seeming so excited about the imminent launch of their gritty FPS thriller. This launch trailer, released today, drops plenty of plot-hints at the same time as showcasing the game's polished graphics, atmosphere and set-up.

According to previous information, the game will be based on events that occur on the Iran/Iraq border in the near future. Several plot lines will apparently converge around the central themes hightlighted in the trailer, leaving us wondering just what the Marines purport to be doing there. The first spoken line in the trailer also hints at some of the slightly deeper subtext we might be able to expect from the game.

The gameplay also looks polished; the scene where the soldier drops from the doorframe to kick an enemy in the chest looks especially impressive. There are also shots of very pretty looking scenery as seen through a gun-sight, paratroopers falling gracefully from the back of a transport, the whole deal. While these levels of detail and graphical fidelity were to be expected from this title, I have to admit that I'm more intrigued by the story than I expected I would be. If the game's anywhere near as dramatic as this trailer, EA/DICE will have really achieved something.

Battlefield 3 will be released on 25 October in North America, and 27 October in Europe.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Hevva said:
Battlefield 3 will be released on 27 October.
Are you sure about that date? Because it comes out on the 25th here.

Also, why is their launch trailer already out? The game hasn't launched...=x

OT: What's with the police chase? Seems slightly out of place...

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
I can't wait! 4 more days.
It looks like it's going to be a really great game.

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
Hevva said:
Battlefield 3 will be released on 27 October.
Are you sure about that date? Because it comes out on the 25th here.

Also, why is their launch trailer already out? The game hasn't launched...=x

OT: What's with the police chase? Seems slightly out of place...

Heh, sorry about that. Had my head in Europe; thanks for the heads-up.

Dutch 924

Making the impossible happen!
Dec 8, 2010
I was quite surprised when I saw this. I thought it was all going to be based in the Middle East, with only the multiplayer being anywhere else.

From what I saw of the trailer, it's taking a more Black Ops approach (only better), with full scale battles and deep-cover operations.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
It looks intense to say the least, lots of cool action set pieces. I just hope it isn't too scripted.

Also, and I can't believe I've noticed this, but isn't that the same high-ranked military douchebag from Medal of Honour? The bald guy? I swear it's the same model and voice.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
I gotta say I didn't really care all that much about the single player what with it being a Battlefield game and all. But this looks really impressive. And it looks like there's at least one segment where you get to fly a jet. It would be really cool if they had a segment where you get to fly an A10.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Y'know, I had completely forgotten that it comes with a campaign.

I'm getting it for the multiplayer, but I certainly won't say no to a bit of single player.

(Also, shouldn't there be a bunch of people getting upset about this? "What!? A single player campaign in a Battlefield game? They're ruining it! Forever! I'm off to cancel my pre-order!")

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
So much for the realism approach...

Plus, when and where is this game taking place. the E3 conference demo was said to take place in Iran, but this trailer suggests that it is in Iraq.

urilukin

May 16, 2011
MARK MY WORDS the story is going to be shit! it is the same old cliché story of EVIL Russians giving nukes to Afghan terrorist to destroy the US.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
That super-weapon they were getting slightly worried about looked identical to the one in Bad Company 2...

I like the way the night-time levels look though.

NinjaCatStudios

Mar 30, 2011
The Gentleman said:

Plus, when and where is this game taking place. the E3 conference demo was said to take place in Iran, but this trailer suggests that it is in Iraq.
In teh trailer, I'm sure it said something about Iran.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Jonny49 said:
It looks intense to say the least, lots of cool action set pieces. I just hope it isn't too scripted.

Also, and I can't believe I've noticed this, but isn't that the same high-ranked military douchebag from Medal of Honour? The bald guy? I swear it's the same model and voice.
I don't think so. I'm pretty sure he's being voiced (and modeled around) The guy who played that bodyguard in 24 (I can't remember his name).

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
NinjaCatStudios said:
The Gentleman said:

In teh trailer, I'm sure it said something about Iran.
The spook (or who I assume to be a spook seeing as he's wearing only a collared shirt while the rest are uniformed military) refers to insurgents crossing the Iranian boarder with whatever country the US is occupying, which could be either Afghanistan or Iraq. Given the terrain and long horizon distances without mountains (indicative of Southern Iraq, if my topographical understanding is correct) and more developed urban centers in previous trailers (definitely not Kabul), my money is that it is most likely Iraq.

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
I might buy this if the single player campaign gets into double figures (and I don't mean minutes). I'm not holding my breath though.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
-|- said:
I might buy this if the single player campaign gets into double figures (and I don't mean minutes). I'm not holding my breath though.
Pretty sure it will. MW2 received a lot of negative PR at 6-7 hours. First off, another 3-4 hours of gameplay over MW2 isn't hard to get. Second, I imagine DICE is smart enough not to repeat the same, very obvious to everyone, mistake.

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
Vrach said:
-|- said:
Pretty sure it will. MW2 received a lot of negative PR at 6-7 hours. First off, another 3-4 hours of gameplay over MW2 isn't hard to get. Second, I imagine DICE is smart enough not to repeat the same, very obvious to everyone, mistake.
I enjoyed MW, but got burnt with MW2. Not so much the game-play, but the feeling of 'is that it?' when I got to the end. If you are right (and I hope you are) and this comes in at a decent length and reasonable reviews I'll give it a look. I can say the same for MW3 as well as I don't do multiplayer and so don't have any loyalty to either franchise. I just want a good single player experience that I think is good value for money - hopefully this isn't too much to ask.