Battlefield 4 Teams With Axe For Embarrassing Cross-Promotion

Novaova

Feb 2, 2010
Mr.Pandah said:
Cool to hate. So cool to hate.

Literally see nothing wrong with this ad, guess I'm just weird.
If you don't look, you can't be expected to see anything.

Crimsonmonkeywar

Oct 27, 2013
rasputin0009 said:
chemical spray will get them laid
When/if it does, odds are it isn't axe.

Also, that commercial is no were near as bad as you all made it seem, I was excepting something truly horrifying and super misogynistic. Silly and weird, but fine

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
It's dumb but it's hardly the worst advert I've seen when games and products collide.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
-Dragmire- said:
Hero in a half shell said:
Needs moar blue filter.

Axe and Battlefield present The Uncanny Valley: Shockingly plastic low res facial models and embarrassing animations from the game that prides itself in graphics whoring!

It looks like it's been rendered with the in game engine, which is baffling since it's a bloody animated segment.
Part of me kinda hopes it was made that way on purpose because the animators themselves found it distasteful and half assed it.
Haha, I can imagine the team meeting, "Screw it, We'll give her a chin like Sylvestor Stallone, make him walk like Optimum Prime and stick jiggle physics on the hair so it bobs about like Medusa snakes!"
Mr.Pandah said:

I've already mentioned the horrible character models and hilariously bad animations, add in the complete disconnect between Battlefield warzone and softcore body spray titillation (thankfully subdued in this case) a Diet Coke worthy soundtrack, and end with the farty sort-of-dubstep-but-not-really Battlefield ident at the end, and it sounds like they are saying the deoderant is rated 'M for mature'.

There's plenty wrong with the ad. It's hilariously bollocks.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
They should have had the girl be a guy and make it a spoof of the Axe commercials. Really show their interest in Gay pride is more than just simple lip service.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
So more effort was put in to putting women in a shit commercial for an unrelated product than was put in to thinking about considering them in multiplayer? Go team!

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
-Dragmire- said:
Needs moar blue filter.

Axe and Battlefield present The Uncanny Valley: Shockingly plastic low res facial models and embarrassing animations from the game that prides itself in graphics whoring!

It looks like it's been rendered with the in game engine, which is baffling since it's a bloody animated segment.
Part of me kinda hopes it was made that way on purpose because the animators themselves found it distasteful and half assed it.
Haha, I can imagine the team meeting, "Screw it, We'll give her a chin like Sylvestor Stallone, make him walk like Optimum Prime and stick jiggle physics on the hair so it bobs about like Medusa snakes!"
Mr.Pandah said:

I've already mentioned the horrible character models and hilariously bad animations, add in the complete disconnect between Battlefield warzone and softcore body spray titillation (thankfully subdued in this case) a Diet Coke worthy soundtrack, and end with the farty sort-of-dubstep-but-not-really Battlefield ident at the end, and it sounds like they are saying the deoderant is rated 'M for mature'.

There's plenty wrong with the ad. It's hilariously bollocks.
In your opinion, yes.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Andy Shandy said:

Good job making them strong female characters, DICE/EA. This doesn't make the inclusion of female soldiers look like a "Just throw it in to please the womenfolk" sort of move at all.

Ah, it's good to laugh.
To be fair, that is one of the strongest female characters I have seen in an AXE commercial...

Novaova

Feb 2, 2010
CriticalMiss said:
So more effort was put in to putting women in a shit commercial for an unrelated product than was put in to thinking about considering them in multiplayer? Go team!
This is probably the most galling part of the whole thing.

Vitagen

Apr 25, 2010
Not only is it bad, it's bad in a very weird way.

That, and it gives me awful flashbacks to the horror that is a middle-school boys' locker room.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Let me get this out of the way: Yes. That ad was bad. So bad its stupid and weird, kind of bad. So bad it makes me even doubt I just saw it, kind of bad. So bad I would like to see a tomography of the people that thought of it, and approved it (to understand what is between their ears), kind of bad.

That being said, its not the worst Axe commercial I have seen. Not by a long shot... I know that doesn't make it sound good, but its not something that would feel out of place among the rest of their marketing campaign.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Mr.Pandah said:
In your opinion, yes.
Meh, I suppose it's basically nit-picking, yes. It's just quite a bizarre ad, and my (and I'm sure many others on this forum's) familiarity with Battlfield make all the little inconsistencies appear that bit more ridiculous.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Colt47 said:
I didn't even get the Axe reference from the commercial. All I saw was two characters come out of their respective tanks, remove their helmets, and stare at each other... probably moments before getting their heads shot off by some sniper. :eek:
Get the AXE.

Imagine the double kills!

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
While I've never paid a great deal of attention to them, I seem to remember that most Axe commercials are pretty damn strange and this seems like one of the more restrained of the lot. That being said, I feel like there's enough of an edge of outright surrealism to it that it actually makes me smile just a little.

It's extremely silly. Not intelligent silly, but not reprehensible silly either. It's there and then it's gone, and for both good and bad I don't think it really says anything more then that.

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
The commercial makes complete sense if you've seen other Axe commercials. And it's not bad branding. The target demographic for both Axe and Battlefield is the same.

Not seeing what the problem is.

Cpt. Slow

Great news everybody!
Dec 9, 2012
Alfador_VII said:
Also that Axe Grenades will incapacitate them?
No, not really. But they are going to smell purrrty.

Anyhow, I use Axe on a day to day basis but thinking of using another brand from here on out. Because this commercial is just silly. I'd rather would watch Terry Crew's Old Spice commercials until I start to question my insanity (more than I usually do) than use a brand that makes me cringe.

VanBasten

Aug 20, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
but I do find this promotion, and the ad for it, a little off.
You're right.
There are no female characters in Battlefield, that should totally be two guys almost kissing in the video.