Battlefield 4's Seven Game Modes Detailed

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Battlefield 4's Seven Game Modes Detailed

You'll be able to try out both the Conquest and the Dominion mode in the Battlefield 4 open beta.

DICE has detailed all seven of the game modes that will be available in its upcoming shooter: Battlefield 4, including which modes will be playable in the open beta. Of the seven modes, five return from Battlefield 3, and two are completely new to Battlefield 4. It was previously known that only Conquest mode would be playable in the Battlefield 4 beta when it launched on October 1st, but DICE has now confirmed that Domination will also be playable.

Game modes returning from Battlefield 3 include:

Conquest - The definitive Battlefield game mode which features land, sea, and air skirmishes to control capture points.
Domination - A fast paced infantry-only variant of Conquest.
Rush - Attackers try to destroy two M-COM stations while defenders defend them.
Team Deathmatch - pretty self explanatory.
Squad Deathmatch - TDM but with each 5-man-squad being a different team.

The first new game mode is Obliteration. In Obliteration, a bomb spawns at a random location on the map. Both teams must fight to pick up the bomb, drop it off at one of their opponent's three objectives, arm it, and destroy the objective.

The other new game mode is Defuse, which is essentially Counter-strike's DE mode. Players only have one life per round, and win by either killing of the members of an enemy team, or planting a bomb on an M-COM station.

Commander mode will only be available in Conquest, Obliteration, and Rush.

Source: Battlefield Blog [http://blogs.battlefield.com/2013/09/road-to-bf4-game-modes/]

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
not interested. TDM for me. hate standing around waiting for the meter to be full and most likely getting shot at.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Not present: a game mode where one has to infiltrate and destroy the enemy base amidst the whole-map chaos. You know, maybe they could make the bases mobile... ooh and that means you should be able to damage them or their shield with... let's say missiles on the ground.

That would be a great game mode.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
I don't know playing anything else than conquest seems strange (alright rush can also be fun ;) ) Battlefield is too slow for tdm to be even remotely fun.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
james.sponge said:
I don't know playing anything else than conquest seems strange (alright rush can also be fun ;) ) Battlefield is too slow for tdm to be even remotely fun.
TDM too slow?? have you played it with 64 players. no rest. most of the time your dead before you even respawn :p

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
MCerberus said:
Not present: a game mode where one has to infiltrate and destroy the enemy base amidst the whole-map chaos. You know, maybe they could make the bases mobile... ooh and that means you should be able to damage them or their shield with... let's say missiles on the ground.

I'm still waiting for 2143 too. Lets not forget the jumping out of the exploding mobile base, that was always good.

I am looking forward to this though, most of my major gripes with 3 seem to be being addressed. Conquest for me though I didn't mind Conquest Domination, I'm guessing that will come with DLC.

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
For the love of god, can we finally get modding and hosting our own servers back?
That would be better than all the S&D and TDM and whatnot modes.

And if they could finally give Origin and Battlelog a shot to the head, I'd be happy. And also shitty DLC practices should be abolished. To get the full game on launch, I have to pay 240-250 leva... WHAT THE FUCK?!? I paid 30 for BFBC2, and there, balancing was at least good.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
From what i've understood, the best thing is that now all game modes will be available on ALL the maps. So even if they come out later with an expansion pack, that would still be playable on the vanilla maps.

Zefar

May 11, 2009
AstaresPanda said:
and i wonder how much more i gotta pay to unlock and play the rest of the already costly game.
You pay the base price for the game. Then you could pick up Premium once it's released. Don't want to pay full price for it? Wait a month or two and it'll be lowered enough.

Still not enough? Wait half a year or more and you'll be able to buy both BF4 + Premium for a lower price than a fully priced console game.

EA ain't as greedy as some other companies are. Other companies often refuse to put DLC together for a lower price and they give far less content wise for their DLC. BF3 DLC actually had a lot of meat to them.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Anoni Mus said:
Defuse (Or Search and Destroy :p) will have vehicles?
I think all those game modes should just be name Counter Strike Mod by law, it's a bit odd seeing all the different names developers come up with for legal reasons just to shoe horn Counter Strike into their otherwise unrelated game.

Nobody knows about vehicles yet, but we do know that medics will have exactly one revive in Defuse, the Res Ninja Conga will not be happening.

AstaresPanda said:
and i wonder how much more i gotta pay to unlock and play the rest of the already costly game.
Depending on how carefully you look, you can get BF4 and the 'Premium' extra for a £60 in the UK, a few short deals have had under £55 or less if you have a discount code (which some stores have been handing out to server providers and some clans), it's less than most Triple A's and includes access to all the expansions automatically.

Of course, if you want to buy everything separately and at full price you're welcome to, then it will cost you £135 ($217!!!), but that would make you a mug.

It is a very topsy turvy world where EA of all people is offering a good deal on a DLC heavy modern military shooter.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
Metalrocks said:
james.sponge said:
TDM too slow?? have you played it with 64 players. no rest. most of the time your dead before you even respawn :p
Isn't this a map design flaw? I always avoid TDM in BF, in fact never played it in BF3 or BC2 but I'm assuming most of those deaths can be attributed to sniper fire rather than insane speed of gameplay itself.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
james.sponge said:
Metalrocks said:
james.sponge said:
Isn't this a map design flaw? I always avoid TDM in BF, in fact never played it in BF3 or BC2 but I'm assuming most of those deaths can be attributed to sniper fire rather than insane speed of gameplay itself.
not really. many people have been spawned in to the cross fire. even i came across few were suddenly a guy spawned in front of me and of course he was a easy target. thats why i avoid servers where more then 32 players are allowed. then its no hassle and still good to play.

that you have snipers, its anyway unavoidable but it also depends on the map you are on (the mountain map is really bad). snipers are the least of my worries to be honest. you just have to make sure you dont have any guys sneaking up on you from behind or from the side. so you assumed wrong ;).

give it a try and you will see what i mean. like i said, i dont like playing other modes because i dont like waiting at the flag until the meter is full. and i cant control the jets and hellies at all. enjoy driving tanks though but then again, waiting at flag points.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
MCerberus said:

Right?! I loved 2142 yet since they released it we haven't seen hide nor hair of it. I guess DICE is too busy chasing after COD's crown to try anything different.

octafish said:
MCerberus said:

I'm still waiting for 2143 too. Lets not forget the jumping out of the exploding mobile base, that was always good.

I am looking forward to this though, most of my major gripes with 3 seem to be being addressed. Conquest for me though I didn't mind Conquest Domination, I'm guessing that will come with DLC.
That was my favorite part. Running out of the enemy's titan and parachuting to the ground then watching it explode.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
yesyes, all very interesting but what about battlefront? way more interested in that than in mms #waytoomany

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Floppertje said:
yesyes, all very interesting but what about battlefront? way more interested in that than in mms #waytoomany
I've stopped buying mms games and refuse to get another one, sick of the same old shit. The sooner something interesting comes along the better.