Battlefield 4's System Requirements Won't Melt Your PC

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Battlefield 4's System Requirements Won't Melt Your PC

Battlefield 4 will run on the seven-year-old 8800 GT: the graphics card that just keeps on giving.

DICE has revealed the minimum and recommended system requirements for its upcoming spunk-gargle-wee-wee shooter: Battlefield 4, and the good news is you won't need a computer from the future to run it. DICE are well-known for optimizing their games to run reasonably on older systems, and Battlefield 4 is no exception - you'll be able to run it on the seven-year-old Nvidia 8800 GT: the graphics card that just doesn't know how to say die.

Here are the game's minimum system requirements, which include the legendary 8800:

Windows Vista 32 bit
AMD Athalon X2 2.8 ghz / Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 ghz
4 GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 3870 / Nvidia 8800 GT
512 MB Graphics Memory
30 GB Hard Disk Space

Of course, if you want the game to look as silky smooth as the videos DICE has been showing off, you'll probably want a system a bit closer to the recommended system requirements:

Windows 8 64 bit
AMD six-core CPU / Intel quad-core CPU
8 GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 7870 / Nvidia GTX 660
3 GB Graphics Memory
30 GB Hard Disk Space

So as you can see, the minimum specs are quite modest, and even the recommended specs shouldn't cost you too much more than a next-gen console.

Will your PC be ready to run BF4 when it comes out this October, or is it time to hit the shop for an upgrade?

Source: Twitter [https://mobile.twitter.com/Battlefield/status/377129313524387841/photo/1]

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Steven Bogos said:
Will your PC be ready to run BF4 when it comes out this October, or is it time to hit the shop for an upgrade?
Considering I won't even bother buying this 110$-mappack (because let's face the truth - it is a mappack and you WILL need all the DLCs later to join any server in the first place - it's the same with BF3 already), I don't even care if it could run it.
Also, aren't those requirement similar to BF3?

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
recommended system requirements:

Windows 8 64 bit
Like hell...Sorry, I mean fuck off. Anyone in their right gaming mind will dodge the OS like a steaming turd on the grass.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
mad825 said:
recommended system requirements:

Windows 8 64 bit
Like hell...Sorry, I mean fuck off. Anyone in their right gaming mind will dodge the OS like a steaming turd on the grass.
Actually, while still not as close to the stability of Windows 7, windows 8 has made tremendous strides in recent times. It won't be long before it becomes a superior OS

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
"Spunk-gargle-wee-wee".

Really? Even the news crew is parroting Yahtzee now?

Come on guys, it was mildly funny when he said it the first time. It has not improved with recycling.

Incidentally, the cake is a lie LOL!!!!

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Why is Win8 on the recommended system requirements? Does it improve performance in any way?

Bindal said:
Steven Bogos said:
Considering I won't even bother buying this 110$-mappack (because let's face the truth - it is a mappack and you WILL need all the DLCs later to join any server in the first place - it's the same with BF3 already), I don't even care if it could run it.
Also, aren't those requirement similar to BF3?
While I agree with you on the principle of not buying this game due to this reason, I have to say that I can find plenty of BF3 servers to play on without DLC. I got the game on the EA Humble Bundle, and I have no DLC for it.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Zhukov said:
They've been doing it for a while, now. It really isn't impressive for a games journalism site with a modicum of integrity to parrot such a phrase without any form of irony.

If they have an issue with MMS games, then fine. But if you're going to report the news, just do it properly, without editorialising your phrases.

But then again, it's their site, they can report how they wish. The problem isn't enough to make me leave the site. But as Jim said in his most recent Jimquisition, people are free to create, but they are not free from the comment/criticism of others.

Doom972 said:
Why is Win8 on the recommended system requirements? Does it improve performance in any way?
Improved kernel, improved WDDM manager, more robust standard driver support. Technically, Windows 8 is superior to 7, and I personally am happy to use it for all the improvements over 7. The big problem is Metro. MS didn't make a technical failure with 8 (like they did in the past with ME or Vista), they made a marketing failure.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I suspect you will take a bigger hit from a dual-core than an old GPU. My machine is bottlenecked by my (still awesome) i5 2500k in BF3. Dropping AA entirely doesn't bring my frame rate up on 64 player maps, my GPUs are more than adequate I should think even for 2560x1440.

Also Win8 is pretty awesome, but Metro and no Media Centre is poo. Mind you I've fixed the Start button myself, and I got MC for free when it was offered.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
As a owner of 8600GS i want to shake my first in the air to non existing gods for them coming so close.
I really need to update get a new PC.

the minimum requirements are vista though, so i guess they are running on directx 10-11 there, but its not like any sane person still uses vista anyway so they should have just written 7 instead.

octafish said:
and no Media Centre
Wait, anyone actually use that? one of the first things i edited out was this silly media center crap.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i have a 7870 but it has 2gb graphic memory.
im sure i will get it to run on highest settings since BF3 does.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
So minimum requirement are relatively static, but recommended requirements have jumped considerably, particularly the amount of RAM, which has more than doubled from BF3. If nothing else, it adds credence to the rumour that players numbers will be increasing on official servers.

Not that 128 and 256 player servers haven't been around since BF2, but hey ho, EA and Evenbalance have to catch up eventually.

I think I'll be getting some extra RAM and a quieter CPU cooler...

Zhukov said:
Come on guys, it was mildly funny when he said it the first time. It has not improved with recycling.
That's a good metaphor for the games it describes.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
Zhukov said:
*shrug*

I'm not defending modern military shooters. I'm pretty sick of them too.

However, smug parroting of not particularly funny phrases doesn't irritate me any less because it happens to be aimed at something I don't much like.

Alcom1

Jun 19, 2013
Zhukov said:
fix-the-spade said:
Zhukov said:

Incidentally, the cake is a lie LOL!!!!
*shrug*

I'm not defending modern military shooters. I'm pretty sick of them too.

However, smug parroting of not particularly funny phrases doesn't irritate me any less because it happens to be aimed at something I don't much like.
I use the term "Spunk-gargle-wee-wee" not for its comedic value but because there isn't another term that perfectly fits it definition. Spec Ops: The Line is a modern military shooter but it certainly isn't a spunk-gargle-wee-wee. That Yahtzee picked such a obtuse or comedic term is simply icing on the- err, the french fancy.

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
Chaos Marine said:
Is Origin still a minimum requirement? If so then I can't get it then.
That is a good question. I have been wondering about that and the "feature" of having to browse for and join servers in an idiotic web interface.

As far as the system requirements, of course it will run silky smooth on my PC, BF3 did and 4 is just a retread.

munx13

Some guy on the internet
Dec 17, 2008
Strazdas said:
As a owner of 8600GS i want to shake my first in the air to non existing gods for them coming so close.
I really need to update get a new PC.
I have a similarly powered 9600M gs on my laptop, and I have been shaking my fist the same way since 2011. At least I'll be getting something with a GF 660-760 next month.

juyunseen

Nov 21, 2011
My laptop will run this most certainly... unfortunately Origin is a requirement so I suppose I'll have to pass.

I wont be playing Battlefield again until we get a 2142 remake.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Amazing EA, not only are you releasing a game with premium DLC that will cost another £40-50 but you've also ante'd the requirements.

Good to know I built this PC to find out it can't run a shitty overpriced crowd fracturing game.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Chaos Marine said:
Is Origin still a minimum requirement? If so then I can't get it then.
Origin is not that much worse than Steam. If you're willing to use Valve's service, what's your objection to Origin beyond LOL EA?

Shadow-Phoenix said:
Amazing EA, not only are you releasing a game with premium DLC that will cost another £40-50 but you've also ante'd the requirements.

Good to know I built this PC to find out it can't run a shitty overpriced crowd fracturing game.
How long ago did you build a machine that can't meet the minimum specs. Those are pretty low.