Battlefield: Hardline Beta Is Now Fully-Open on PC

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Battlefield: Hardline Beta Is Now Fully-Open on PC

All you have to do is sign up to get instant access to the Battlefield: Hardline beta.

Battlefield: Hardline is the upcoming "cops and robbers"-themed Battlefield title that is due out in October. As has become customary for Battlefield titles, EA is running a beta for the game. Previously, the beta was closed, but now, at least for its PC version, the beta is completely open to everyone and anyone. All you have to do is sign up at the beta page [http://www.battlefield.com/hardline/beta] to get instant access, as well as a few exclusive perks for being a beta tester.

These perks include:

Weapon camo/skin in Battlefield Hardline
Weapon sight in Battlefield Hardline
Additional Battlefield Hardline content
Unique dog tag in Battlefield 4

If you managed to make it to level 10 in-game before the beta ends, you'll also get a "special battlepack" for the game when it launches, and if you turn on "Facebook sharing", you'll get $1k of in-game money to spend.

I strongly urge everyone to try this one out, but not for the reasons you might think. Battlefield: Hardline represents probably the worst of Battlefield - a shoddy cut-and-paste mod at best, and a shameless attempt to squeeze another full priced game (which will have its own set of inevitable "premium" DLC) out of the Battlefield 3 engine.

It's kind of sad that back in 2011, DICE said that "annualized Battlefield would kill the franchise" [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/annualized-battlefield-games-would-kill-the-franchise-dice/1100-6327010/], and now, Battlefield: Hardline is poised to do just that.

Battlefield: Hardline releases for the PC, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360 on October 21.

Source: EA Games [http://blogs.battlefield.com/2014/06/get-instant-access-battlefield-hardline-beta-pc/]

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Battlefield 4 isn't even out of beta yet. This game is bad news for everyone.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well what is EA to do here... they can't jump from their skin and stop being money grubbing bastards who they are, this is their natural monkey business and you get to decide if you want to join in on the party.

dumbseizure

Mar 15, 2009
This game could have been good if it was redesigned from the ground up.

The way it stands now though, it is just battlefield 4 with a cops and robbers re-skin, which is extremely disappointing.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Regardless of whether Hardline turns out any better than the last release (unlikely since the beta is crammed with problems present from BF4 and 3) I'm expecting this game to pay for the sins of BF4.

BF4 seems to have nailed Battlefield's reputation good and proper, across all the platforms combined it's getting less than a hundred thousand players daily, which is nothing (although a lot compared to other EA shooters, for example Crysis 3 has about 600 players right now across all versions).

I often wonder how much money EA makes with this fire and forget strategy they follow. I find it hard to believe that BF4 could possibly have been more profitable than BF2 or 3, 2 (supposedly) shifted 11million copies and DICE were still updating it in 2009. BF3 has sold something like 15million units in two years too, not counting the recent free week, the income from expansion sales there must dwarf the potential of huffing a game out every twelve months and watching the players base walk away after three to six. Maps are cheaper to make than entire games.

Oh well, another series EA ran into the dirt, Battlefield, 2002-2011.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
i'm just waiting for the Shooters to loop back around to the World Wars again :p

Come on if you make Battlefield 1945 you can still have 5 at the end too! XD

Bring back Battleships, destroyers, carriers, and SUBMARINES!

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I'll be honest and say I've quite enjoyed the beta so far. The new game modes are fun and I like the feel of the game, but I have one massive issue. This game has pulled a COD: Black Ops on us. You have to not only level up to unlock weapons, but pay in game money for them as well! I haven't looked at how much weapons and things cost, but I made around four thousand in three games. I better be able to buy a decent amount of weapons with that. I can just feel the micro-transactions coming. Which is really saddening, since like I said, the game is fun as hell.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Elfgore said:
I'll be honest and say I've quite enjoyed the beta so far. The new game modes are fun and I like the feel of the game, but I have one massive issue. This game has pulled a COD: Black Ops on us. You have to not only level up to unlock weapons, but pay in game money for them as well! I haven't looked at how much weapons and things cost, but I made around four thousand in three games. I better be able to buy a decent amount of weapons with that. I can just feel the micro-transactions coming. Which is really saddening, since like I said, the game is fun as hell.
4000 buys like 2 or 3 attachments or gadgets, so on average, I'm guessing 1 round equals 1 item. But ya, the added currency ON TOP of the battlepacks makes it look like a micro-transaction haven.

I'm pretty meh about the beta so far. There's some enjoyable things about it, but it definitely doesn't have the feel of a Battlefield game. It looks like a fan-mod of BF4 and nothing more. And as a fan-mod, it should have been released for free, especially after it took 8 months to finally fix the main issues with BF4 (still lots of bugs here and there, but big netcode improvement). All I know, is I'm not paying $70 for Hardline. Especially when the beta is FILLED with all of BF4's bugs and shitty netcode.

And those running animations and character models are cartoony as fuck. Looks like everybody is a spy from TF2 running around in a realistic environment. Really pisses my eyeballs off.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
DTWolfwood said:
Bring back Battleships, destroyers, carriers, and SUBMARINES!
The worst feeling in 1942 was getting sunk in a sub and watching the dials go down to crush depth. On the other hand, the best feeling was sending one of the aggravating little bastards to see Old Hob with the aid of a det pack and an air drop, banzai indeed!

I'd love to see a mixed setting Battlefield, with some levels being WW2, some being the early 2000's Battlefield 2 Era and some being 2142. But with the amount of time and money required to make in game assets nowadays I doubt anyone will ever try something so ambitious. Three factions in BF4 was a surprise.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
I don't play Battlefield, but I guess I'll sign up just on the off chance I choose to pick this up when it comes out. If I'm reading that right then we just need to sign up for the beta, we don't actually have to play it.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Well, my PC doesn't meet the minimum requirements. Not by a long shot - Still running 32 bit XP cuz I can't be bothered to upgrade.

Also, **** Origin, as well as the bastardization of the battlefield series. I'll stick with playing BF2 and 2142, while cursing EA/DICE for not releasing mod support for 2142 citing "it's too difficult to mod." Bullshit! Mods are free, and you didn't want them cutting into the sale of potential expansion packs. Of which you only released the "meh" northern strike.

These perks include:

Weapon camo/skin in Battlefield Hardline
Weapon sight in Battlefield Hardline
Additional Battlefield Hardline content
Unique dog tag in Battlefield 4
Ha! Cuz people still play that shit, right? (I know people do, but I hope you get my point)

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Elfgore said:
Why all the hate? I've had a total blast. the only reason I tried this out is the lack of the tired, worn out, and personally scorned "modern military" setting. This game is freaking fun and I fully intend to preorder.

Yeah, the new game modes are awesome, especially Blood Money. First night, I literally played nothing but that until 6am. Hadn't done that in forever.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
kyosai7 said:
Elfgore said:
Why all the hate? I've had a total blast. the only reason I tried this out is the lack of the tired, worn out, and personally scorned "modern military" setting. This game is freaking fun and I fully intend to preorder.

Yeah, the new game modes are awesome, especially Blood Money. First night, I literally played nothing but that until 6am. Hadn't done that in forever.
Never said the game is bad. I've had more fun playing Hardline than I did 4. The setting is actually my favorite part. I just don't like how I have to purchase weapons. That just screams give us more money.

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
Honestly I have been having a ridiculous amount of fun with the beta. Its just not a worth the asking price. Its no more then a second rate battlefield mod. There is a lot of fun to be had though so I am eating this beta up until the game gets a very deep discount.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I don't like this game. I even entered the closed beta the very day of EA's E3 conference and honestly, I didn't liked the game.

It easily devolves on watered down Battlefield quirks, like running over everything standing on two legs and holding a gun, it reminds me a lot of Counter-Strike, but without the 10+ years of refinement, tightness and focus. Also, it's not a "good" Battlefield experience, so yeah, I can hardly see this taking over the main series.

This feels like an afterthought DLC or a crappy mod.

jdbuck

Nov 23, 2009
It's great fun. I've been playing on the PS4 since the beta was released. Fast paced. But going back to my original sentance, FUN. That's all i want in a game!

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
dumbseizure said:
This game could have been good if it was redesigned from the ground up.

The way it stands now though, it is just battlefield 4 with a cops and robbers re-skin, which is extremely disappointing.
I won't judge the whole game, but good God the map in the Beta is tiny, or seems tiny to me because almost every street is the same. This is way more CoD like, and honestly, Battlefield can't work like that, not for me. I had a blast with Battlefield 3, resisted Battlefield 4 because I didn't want to get suckered in with another Premium option (which I did buy for Battlefield 3 because the game was great fun), and I'm skipping this one too. Not my style from what I played.