Battlefield Hardline - Does the game's subject matter bother you?

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
Hardline's subject matter was uncomfortable to anyone who's ever lived in a large metropolitan city far before any of this mess in Missouri started, now it's downright gross if you ask me. If there's anything that this has proven it's that militarized police and police corruption are very real things and when you take a formerly military themed game and then apply the same weapons/technology to an urban pacification setting you are sending a seriously uncomfortable message that hits way too close to home for a large portion of Americans.
In fairness there really was no way for the devs or EA to know that Ferguson would happen and theses would go from moderately hot-button issues to nuclear hot-button issues, but that doesn't change the fact that it did and they are.

I'm not in favor of censoring games, however I personally think that if they want to save some PR face they should A: retool the assets of Hardline into something less inflammatory or B: shelf the project for a year or so for the heat of this issue to die down somewhat.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
I'm trying to come up with a 99 problems joke but I got nothing.

The subject matter bothers me but not in a I find this offensive sort of way, I just think it's a stupid idea to turn a game into a spin off like that. I honestly haven't seen anyone that's actually excited for this game as well.

Willzors

Aug 19, 2014
I think people are reading into this way to much. Hardline isn't using cops and robbers to make a point. They are using it so they can palette/skin swap their game and sell it again.

Jul 31, 2013
Diesel- said:
Battlefield hardline is just another lame attempt at cash cow. it has nothing to do with BF but using the name in order to sell.
Err... I don't see how that comment is in any way relevant to this thread. Just my opinion.

OT, I'm going to parrot the user above me. BF Hardline isn't trying to make some bold statement about the militarization of the police force and the moral implications of "soldier cops". They've just decided to palette swap "Americans vs. Russians" into "Cops vs. Robbers". Heck, I wouldn't even be surprised if it'd be an online-only release without a campaign (besides, who plays Battlefield for the campaign anyway?).

Mister Fox

Aug 17, 2014
I just see it as a videogame of cops vs robbers.

The police do need a way to fight back the robbers that have militarized equipment. Won't be fair if the police team only have pistols, shotguns, and AR-15's while the robbers have Large Machine guns and RPG's.

Just remember the most important thing, its just a videogame.

DrBonBon

Sep 14, 2011
I'll wait for the game to release and then look if I have to put my knickers in a twist.
EDIT: Although I have to add that the gameplay video from gamescom gave me more of a feeling like: "Hey! Remember The Bad Boys and Lethal Weapon films? This is kind of like that!"

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Diesel- said:
Battlefield hardline is just another lame attempt at cash cow. it has nothing to do with BF but using the name in order to sell.
This is both totally irrelevant and inaccurate if you ask me. Just because it's not a warzone doesn't mean it is losing the large battlefields and attack-and-defend nature of Battlefield.

Anyway, I'm going to echo the sentiment that this is just basically a child fantasy in video-game form. I doubt it's pushing any agenda. It's just taking the police vs criminal scenario kids tend to like and puts it into a big video game.

The militarization of police in the game is likely less a political thing and more a "rule-of-fun" thing for the game. The people playing the police likely wouldn't be having a fun time if they are limited to running on foot or using a few police cars and wielding only standard-issue handguns. They're going to have military-type equipment because that's generally what people playing shooters have more fun with.

epicdwarf

Apr 9, 2014
No.

I am more worried about the money system for unlocks being used for mircotransactions.

visiblenoise

Jul 2, 2014
Just because a game is made doesn't mean it has to be accepted into culture. And if it does get accepted, we deserve whatever happens.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Nope, mostly cause I'm not gonna buy it. But a side from that. It's just a cops and robbers game, nothing more.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Nope. When it comes to Battlefield, I tend not to think too much into the storyline, because lets face it, it is going to be a piece of throwaway content, so I just don't really care about it. That and im not going to get it.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
Not really. But then again, it's a Battlefield game. Not sure the narrative is gonna be all that compelling.