Battlefield PSA Mocks Modern Warfare 2 "F.A.G.S." Gaffe

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Battlefield PSA Mocks Modern Warfare 2 "F.A.G.S." Gaffe

A new parody Public Service Announcement promoting Modern Warfare 2 [http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_11?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=battlefield+bad+company+2&x=0&y=0&sprefix=battlefield] pulled with its "Fight Against Grenade Spam."

I know it's hard to think back to a long-forgotten age before Modern Warfare 2 was the bestest-selling anything ever, but the game had its share of controversies before it even came out. There was the dedicated servers fiasco for one, and the "No Russian" outrage for another. And then there was "Fight Against Grenade Spam" [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td352xP-NZ8], a tongue-in-cheek Infinity Ward PSA starring Phillies pitcher Cole Hamels that warned against the evils of just randomly chucking grenades hoping to get a kill.

Unfortunately, using a rather offensive slur as an acronym in your marketing tends to not present your product in a very attractive light (even to a community who seems to use it every as every fifth word). Activision apologized publicly and took down the video from the official channels, but the damage was done.

Now, a video Battlefield: Bad Company 2 posted to the Battlefield blog [http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlefield_bad_company/archive/2010/03/17/battlefield-bad-company-2-psa-friends-really-against-grenade-spam.aspx] lampoons the competition's marketing gaffe with a PSA starring Yankees pitcher CC Sabathia that warns against the evils of just randomly chucking grenades hoping to get a kill.

The BBC2 video promotes the group "Friends Really Against Grenade Spam," a name that gets the general point across while forming an acronym that manages to be relevant to the topic at hand and doesn't offend everybody with two brain cells' worth of decency.

It isn't the first potshot DICE and BBC2 have taken against IW and MW2, and it probably won't be the last, but it's worth a chuckle nonetheless.

(Via MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/03/17/battlefield-bad-company-2-lampoons-modern-warfare-2-marketing-gaffe/])

laryri

May 19, 2008
I love how you tagged it as "Oh Snap". Anyways I'm surprised that Activision didn't go for the frags acronym to begin with, seems much better.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
People compared BFBC1 to COD4. Now... this shit just got real.

Calumon: Boom! Hahahaha! That was fun!

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
When Bad Company 2 came out, I was thinking "Man, where are the funny promo-videos the first Bad Company had?"

Well, my question has been answered. Laughed pretty good at that one.

Lemon Of Life

Jul 8, 2009
Developers should make more of this. It's great.

Catkid906 said:

Mate, you need to put down that animal of yours. He's getting out of hand.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Any game that shares it initials with a popular TV channel should avoid throwing bad acronyms back at those who chucked them.

FaithorFire

Mar 14, 2010
Silly little BFBC people! They remind me of my 4 year old cousin when he wants to wrestle. So precocious and confident, of course I'm approximately 6 times his size and 3 times his weight, but its still fun to let him think he can win

Strategia

za Rodina, tovarishchii
Mar 21, 2008
I hadn't heard of the MW2 PSA before now, and I have to admit, both are pretty funny. But I like the BC2 one better.

"Aww shit..... OH WHERE DID YOU GET THA*"

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Lemon Of Life said:
Developers should make more of this. It's great.

Catkid906 said:

Mate, you need to put down that animal of yours. He's getting out of hand.
Are you suggesting that I should take my Calumon to the Back room!?

Calumon: WAGGGHHHH!!!! Mean person! Mean person T.T

Ripshot

Aug 5, 2008
Hubilub said:
When Bad Company 2 came out, I was thinking "Man, where are the funny promo-videos the first Bad Company had?"

Well, my question has been answered. Laughed pretty good at that one.
I know right, thank you EA/DICE for bringing back the funny

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
Just for future reference, using the acronym BBC2 might confuse some british people with the television channel. Now I just realised the irony in pointing out an unfortunate acronym...

ryai458

Oct 20, 2008
Another reason I don't like DICE their games aren't that good and they take cheap shots, but what can you except when they are going up against MW2, doomed to fail, miserablily.

Apr 28, 2008
HAHA! Nice.

This is why Bad Company 2 should have been a lighthearted adventure.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
sirdanrhodes said:
You see, why did we not get these funny trailers BEFORE the game was out like last time?
Because then, the servers would ASPLODE due to stress.

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
Ha! This is a win for sure. I'll probably pick up BBC2 soon as my studies are over for the term.