Battlefront Beta...HNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
FirstNameLastName said:
While I understand that point, I'll have to disagree. In a multiplayer shooter, balance is more important than story. The first time people play it they may appreciate its resemblance to the movie, but after a few matches they'll want a balanced game, not one where the rebels get thematically slaughtered if they aren't working as a perfect team.
See your last point is exactly why it works. In any competitive match that involves teams, there should be that element of teamwork making the match or breaking it. I don't believe its set up so that the Rebel side always fails unless they're perfect. Rather it does not reward people who don't work as a team. It also works in the other direction. The Empire side may have the superior firepower, but they can still be hampered by poor teamwork. I think there's a few wrinkles, a few imbalances overall in the game that happens on both sides, but it's ultimately good or poor teamwork that makes the matches what they are.
Seriously though, if you want Hoth to ultimately be "fair" then both sides need AT-ATs and AT-ST's, and I think more people would complain about that being wrong because its not how Hoth was portrayed. A map involving that battle just isn't possible to be perfectly balanced, but as it is it isn't impossible nor even near-impossible to win as Rebels. It just means people are rewarded for working together, and lose if they can't do so. Hence the whole idea of team based play.
I'm not saying team work shouldn't be required, but if one team requires a higher standard of teamwork than the other then it simply isn't balanced. Keep in mind, I haven't' actually played it myself, but the reviews, videos, comments, and pretty much everything else I've heard about this game all seem to have the imbalance on Hoth as a common complaint.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
FirstNameLastName said:
I'm not saying team work shouldn't be required, but if one team requires a higher standard of teamwork than the other then it simply isn't balanced. Keep in mind, I haven't' actually played it myself, but the reviews, videos, comments, and pretty much everything else I've heard about this game all seem to have the imbalance on Hoth as a common complaint.
I don't think its a higher standard, its just at a beta stage, there's going to be a lot of skewed views because either one side or another may be loaded with better players than the other, and as I said Hoth cannot be perfectly balanced without breaking the aesthetic of the level. I noticed that a lot of players on Rebel side don't bother with the turrets provided and that significantly lowers the team's chances of winning. The Rebels start with a huge advantage with the turrets whereas the Empire side only has 2 AT-ATs which aren't directly controlled by players until one finds the powerup. Not using the tools given will result in poor play.

Sep 14, 2009
FirstNameLastName said:
I don't think its a higher standard, its just at a beta stage, there's going to be a lot of skewed views because either one side or another may be loaded with better players than the other, and as I said Hoth cannot be perfectly balanced without breaking the aesthetic of the level. I noticed that a lot of players on Rebel side don't bother with the turrets provided and that significantly lowers the team's chances of winning. The Rebels start with a huge advantage with the turrets whereas the Empire side only has 2 AT-ATs which aren't directly controlled by players until one finds the powerup. Not using the tools given will result in poor play.
maybe when the FINAL game comes out and players are given the full tools to work with will hoth be balanced, but as of right now rebels might as well be fish in a barrel compared to the empire. By all means, play as the rebels to your hearts content as you use absolutely perfect teamwork, I'll play as the empire and laugh as I literally stomp on you 9 times out of 10, the empire merely has to be competent, while the rebels apparently have to have perfect synergy and understanding to even have a chance at winning.

(for multiplayer that is a bullshit reason to "keep the aesthetic", single player it's fine for obvious reasons)

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
gmaverick019 said:
maybe when the FINAL game comes out and players are given the full tools to work with will hoth be balanced, but as of right now rebels might as well be fish in a barrel compared to the empire. By all means, play as the rebels to your hearts content as you use absolutely perfect teamwork, I'll play as the empire and laugh as I literally stomp on you 9 times out of 10, the empire merely has to be competent, while the rebels apparently have to have perfect synergy and understanding to even have a chance at winning.

(for multiplayer that is a bullshit reason to "keep the aesthetic", single player it's fine for obvious reasons)
Nice way to pull the wrong context out of what I said. Nowhere did I say people have to be perfect. But they do have to use the tool on hand, like the turrets. If people want to choose not to use whats in front of them, thats a perfect way to lose, and thats the only time I'm using the word perfect. They have an advantage, they don't use it, they lose. Get the Y-wings in the air, drop the shields and concentrate fire on the AT-ATs. How much more do they need and what could be done to better balance it?

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
gmaverick019 said:

Nice way to pull the wrong context out of what I said. Nowhere did I say people have to be perfect. But they do have to use the tool on hand, like the turrets. If people want to choose not to use whats in front of them, thats a perfect way to lose, and thats the only time I'm using the word perfect. They have an advantage, they don't use it, they lose. Get the Y-wings in the air, drop the shields and concentrate fire on the AT-ATs. How much more do they need and what could be done to better balance it?
The turrets are garbage though? The anti personnel turrets cant kill a soldier very easily, the rapid fire turret leaves you horrifically exposed to snipers (which everyone and their mother has for free on a short cd), the anti vehicle turret can't even stop an AT-ST that you're actively shooting at because its cooldown is prohibitively long, and because you're immobile you're horribly exposed meanin any schmuck that gets into the AT-AT, or an AT-ST, or a Tie Fighter, can wipe you off the map before you have a chance to respond.

Even if turrets didn't blow the Empire can just get in them themselves and now you're screwed.

Sep 14, 2009
gmaverick019 said:

see shintakie's response for exactly what I mean regarding the turrets, they COULD be alright, but they are garbage compared to what the empire is given in that scenario, especially since anyone and their grandma can hit a non-moving target like that from any visible sightline on the map, so throwing bodies at the turrets at the beginning literally won't change anything unless the rest of your ground troops are just laying down AMAZING support.

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
Well I downloaded it, gave it a try, and came out with a resounding "meh". Its not bad, its a competent shooter, but aside from the aesthetic of Star Wars (which I will say was VERY well done) it brings absolutely nothing to the table that I haven't already played a hundred times before, and often done better in other games.

I get that its a beta, but all the guns felt the same. The pistols felt like the rifles. The LMG's felt like the rifles, and the sniper rifle is just not very satisfying and oddly implemented. This honestly just feels like Battlefield 4,with half the features, no destructible environments, and a Star Wars skin slapped on to it.

I don't see myself buying this anytime soon, but I come away disappointed. Not angry, disappointed. The shooting is good, the Star Wars aesthetic is done INCREDIBLY well and feels very authentic, and the game ran very well and was surprisingly low on bugs and random crashes for a DICE game.

Buuut, the game doesn't bring anything new or different enough to pull me away from other games, and the shooting, while good, is just that. Good. Its alright, adequate, but its standard and not good enough to feel worth the money in my eyes. Honestly if you want a large scale shooter, I'd just go with Battlefield 4 right now. It has more depth, features, and strategy while still being just as good of a shooter as Battlefront.

Also the spawn system was just infuriating, especially in Drop zone. If you die, get ready to get spawned as far away from the pod as possible, and more often then not right next to an enemy with a sight on your head, or have an enemy spawn right behind you right after you start moving.

I'll be sticking with Evolve. For all that game's issues, at least it did something new and did it well enough to keep me interested since I played the Alpha for it last October.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Zero teamwork going on, zero weapon or vehicle customization, no kits/classes, only 3 loadout options, etc.

I had a BLAST playing the beta for the first 1-2 hours but that's about it - I literally burned myself out on the entire beta in only 2 hours. That's not a good sign. I see Battlefront being a "quick thrill easy money" type of game with no lasting appeal. Unless the content they add to the full release is absolutely mind-blowingly awesome and adds whole new layers of depth/skill to the game, I see Battlefront on PC dying a swift death.

But on PS4/XBO it will sell like hotcakes because the game literally has "console casuals" written all over it. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

On the plus side, visuals and audio are nice along with excellent hardware optimization.

Arctic Werewolf

Oct 16, 2014
Not giving me at least a basic load-out to start with is ridiculous. Not a huge fan of needing to unlock weapons in general. If it doesn't take too long, I guess it's tolerable. The game really hurts from the lack of classes. That added so much variety to how you fight and who you fight. Vehicle controls seem difficult. The sniper rifle is weird. It's heavily nerfed by making it take up a secondary slot and giving it a long cool down timer. The hit detection on it also seems really weird. I don't get hits when it seems like my reticle is dead on. Maybe you have to lead targets a lot? But even stationary targets... No variety in the weapons worth mentioning. I don't like the King of the Hill map. It's too simple structurally and just leads to a chaotic and random game. The Hoth map is much more fun to play even if it is very unbalanced.

On the other hand, it really looks and sounds and feels like Star Wars. This is as close as you'll get to actually being at the Battle of Hoth yourself. The beta performs surprisingly well in terms of bugs, framerate and connection. The game looks gorgeous and performs well even with so much going on.

My impression of the Beta is that it is compelling but passing. You really feel like you're involved in the action, but the simplicity and lack of variety will wear on you eventually. The game really suffers for not having classes.

Oh, and I can't find the map function. How do I look at the map? And that reminds me, I don't seem to be able to pick my spawn? I spawn on my teammate, or I only have one spawn?

Sandjube

Feb 11, 2011
Watched my brother play a couple hours of it. As a star wars based shooter, it looks...well, alright I guess. I'd play a bit of it, maybe. As a battlefront game though I'm not sold on it at all.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
To quote a certain trilby-wearing ponce, whom I adore in a strictly platonic fashion,

"What it is is average. Boilerplate. Run-of-the-mill. A competent shooter, its only remarkable feature being the degree to which it's stuck up its own ass. Everything it does has been done before and better."

Boom.

Bang.

Done.

Buckets

May 1, 2014
Always been a big star wars fan, downloaded and played this Beta on the PS4 - totally hate the total multiplayer form, just feels like any Call of Duty style of game - die,respawn, repeat, see stats, buy another crappy gun.
The worst thing is flying the ships, being unable to target lock, especially against other air targets is a total fucking waste and makes jumping in a Xwing a pitiful experience. I still live in hope of a proper XWing Vs Tie Fighter game appearing some day but I ain't holding my breath.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Played quite a bit of it now. It's fun for the most part. Drop pod zone is always fun. However Walker Assault .....ahsagdhjashjdk!Ok the first few games i really enjoyed it. They really captured the feeling of the movie, especully in the last section with the trenches. But I'm not sure if it's the game mode or terrible map design which is leaving it so unbalanced.
So some changes that i think are crucial are changes to spawning. Giving players the option of which one to chose would solve so many issues.
But just going by what they've shown only on hoth, make spawn points in the open have a permanent squad shield maybe? Put penalties on imps using rebel turrets (allow chosing spawn points would help solve this issue)
I mean you die on the front lines. fair enough. Then you spawn and immediately die to an AT-ST. then you spawn and die again and again and again, until its finally whittled down but by then an Imperial has taken over a turret over looking your spawn point.
Or you die when the Y wings are coming in and it spawns as far back as it can in the rebel base so a fair bit of time has passed before you can look at the AT-ATs to damage them but then you cant get out because every entrance to the base is being camped.

Now some things can be helped by some common sense on the rebel players part. I've seen plenty of cases of people right next to the target uplinks, nothing stopping them but they don't bother to do anything. And if you pick up something like and orbital bombardment save it until the Y wings come.

Edit: Also £50 for multiplayer only digital download with what seems to be less content than it's predecessors can go fuck itself. I don't care if I'm having fun with 1 game mode, I can only see myself buying this if it's on sale and it it still has a community.

llubtoille

Apr 12, 2010
As an avid watcher of games, its quite entertaining.
I found MGSV a complete bore to watch, - visually dull, long missions, achingly slow plot development.
Whereas Battlefront is fast paced, quick missions in interesting if not beautiful locations.
Reminds me a bit of Rocket League.

Mar 26, 2008
I have to say that right off the bat I missed the different classes. I used to play the Dark Trooper a lot and even though regular Stormtroopers can have jump packs it just doesn't feel the same.

One thing I liked is that the game favours teamwork. If you want to go rogue, you might get your KD ratio up but your team will lose. Especially in Drop Zone, if you don't throw your numbers behind the pod you are going to get stomped. I got to go the AT-AT, AT-ST, X-wing and Tie Fighter, which breaks up the monotony of trudging around Hoth on foot. The Walker Assault mode definitely favours the Empire. If you get in an AT-AT watch your kill streak explode. The thing chews through Rebel soldiers like toilet paper.

The graphics and sound are awesome. It really does a great job at recreating the Star Wars experience and that goes a long way toward the enjoyment (for me at least). That said I can't really see getting much longevity out of this game. It's good for a quick burst of fun, but I'm not sure it has that much legs. I'm sure EA will farm that out with ongoing DLC.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
I watched some footage of it and I can't say I'm impressed. It's graphically superb but the gameplay looks essentially like CoD, with a few hints of BF instead, and a star wars veneer. Basically, another pretty but mediocre shooter.

sonicneedslovetoo

Jul 6, 2015
Elfgore said:
Balance needs work really bad on the AT-AT stage, rebels will die pretty much nonstop.
I'd say that it really hits home just how outmatched and outclassed the Rebels were on Hoth. Its a losing battle, but I have seen Rebels win it with good tactics, its mainly having good pilots in X-Wings/A-Wings to take the troops out with well coordinated air assaults to keep the Y-Wings in the air and a good crew running Snowspeeders to take the AT-AT's out after the shields are down. Its not impossible but the Imperials certainly have the advantage and it really does echo (no pun intended) the hopeless situation shown in Empire Strikes Back.
I think that sort of thing would go great in a campaign, unfortunately this is a multiplayer shooter and after the X'th time you play as the bottom b-er rebels it would get really, REALLY old. If there weren't only two maps in the game right now nobody would be playing Hoth except for people who can guarantee they will play as the imperials. What I think it needs is a two round system where everybody switches once somebody wins that way its about how fast you can do it as opposed to if you got a good rebel team or not.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
sonicneedslovetoo said:
I think that sort of thing would go great in a campaign, unfortunately this is a multiplayer shooter and after the X'th time you play as the bottom b-er rebels it would get really, REALLY old. If there weren't only two maps in the game right now nobody would be playing Hoth except for people who can guarantee they will play as the imperials. What I think it needs is a two round system where everybody switches once somebody wins that way its about how fast you can do it as opposed to if you got a good rebel team or not.
I've noticed that yesterday and today the Rebels have been doing much better then they did in the first few days of the beta. They still don't win half of the time but at least they put on a good show and make the Imperials work for it. I think there are several problems with Walker Assault though:
1. The lack of spawn protection for the rebels. It is way too easy for some Imperials to sneak up behind the spawn points and rack up kills as the rebels spawn. Beta or not, functioning spawn protection should be obvious in this day and age.
2. The difference in equipment between the sides. The Empire gets more goodies, that's just the way it is. They have the same number of aircraft but also gets AT-STs and AT-ATs. The Rebels get stationary turrets, that the Imperials can steal and turn against them. Both the AT-STs and the AT-ATs far outperform the turrets too. For the last stage the Tie interceptor is almost overkill against the Snowspeeders, which perform great against ground targets but has about a snowballs chance in hell of winning a dogfight.
3. The vastly different complexity in tasks between Rebels and Imperials. As Imperials you can basically play TDM, the assault carries on irregardless of if you move up, hang back to snipe or go off to spawn camp the Rebels. As Rebels you need a concerted effort to not only cap the uplinks (which is hard when 5 out of 6 are out in the open), you also need a concerted effort to damage the walkers and you better pray that the players in the aircraft aren't the team scrubs when the Y-wings trigger or you lose most of the teams damage potential.
4. The randomness of pick ups affect Rebels much more then Imperials. Did you get an Orbital Strike? Sweet, that's 1/4th of the health off a walker come the Y-wings. Did you get a squad shield or thermal imploder? Well... That's situationally useful at least. Both are good, but if the Rebels luck out with two or three orbital strikes they have basically won right there. If they don't, they are probably boned.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
..aaaand season pass was just announced.

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/news/extending-the-beta-and-the-announcement-of-the-star-wars-battlefront-season-pass-and-ultimate-edition

I'm done. I'm 100% done.