Battleship Clone Demonstrates Gaming On Google Glass

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Battleship Clone Demonstrates Gaming On Google Glass

GlassBattle is a new Google Glass game that answers the question, "Just how awkward is it to play videogames on your eyeglasses?"

GlassBattle is exactly what its portmanteau of a name would suggest: An unlicensed version of classic board game Battleship designed for use on the Google Glass platform. Translated, that means that this is a game you play while strolling around, living your every day life and keep track of a small "screen" within your eyepiece. The game's entire UI is contained within your fancy electronic glasses, and it's controlled via voice commands ... actually, forget trying to explain GlassBattle. Just watch the thing in action in that clip at top-right. It was crafted by developer BrickSimple and while normally that would mean a highly-polished presentation and lots of glitzy effects, it's difficult to portray GlassBattle in any light that doesn't seem at least somewhat awkward, so the clip appears to be an accurate depiction of what playing this game is actually like.

While it's a neat proof of concept, and the technology behind the Google Glass project is impressive, there are just so many issues we can see with this game from that video demonstration alone. First, that "screen" the game is played on takes up an awfully large portion of a person's viewing area. You can still navigate the world, but does anyone really need to play a clone of Battleship so badly that they'd be willing to sacrifice full peripheral vision for it?

Further, if this game is being played on your glasses, nobody else has any idea what you're doing, right? So let's say you're walking down the street, playing GlassBattle, and you start firing shots at your opponent's fleet. Who's to say your aggressive voice commands won't be misinterpreted by some figure of authority with an overt, stereotypical fondness for 'Merica? You could be calmly standing in line at an airport and suddenly find yourself being waterboarded in Gitmo all because you mentioned something about firing a missile at "B8."

All of that being said, GlassBattle is still a cool demonstration of the technology, if nothing else. It isn't very graphics intensive, but we expect that as Google Glass matures, more developers with more complex games will jump on board and show us all exactly how stupid a person can look while strolling down the street and playing games on their spectacles.

Source: VentureBeat [http://venturebeat.com/2013/07/08/pick-up-milk-walk-the-dog-and-defeat-enemies-with-new-glassbattle-for-google-glass/]

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
If what the video shows is representative of what you see when you wear Google Glasses, this seems to be a pretty dumb and dangerous idea.

DonTsetsi

May 22, 2009
So, voice commands... I'm going to enjoy restarting other people's glasses. That or making them search for the worst possible images on the net...

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
I will never understand the appeal of Google Glass. I already have a mini computer (phone) in my pocket all the time so I don't need on mounted on my face while I'm grocery shopping. And who wants to walk around spouting random voice commands? It'd be faster to press buttons on touch screen

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
PoolCleaningRobot said:
I will never understand the appeal of Google Glass. I already have a mini computer (phone) in my pocket all the time so I don't need on mounted on my face while I'm grocery shopping. And who wants to walk around spouting random voice commands? It'd be faster to press buttons on touch screen
But it´s like the future (as it could be depicted in some absurd Verhoven movie)!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Something tell me that this device could be disorientating for your eyes. I mean you can't focus on two things at once. Yes I know Battleship is a simple game to place but none the less you will be distracted when you are suppose to be focusing on something else.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Wow. We have this hyper advanced technology now to play a 50 year old game with.

While shopping!

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
I'd say that this is how the Glass has overlaid the game UI onto the video it records while walking, and is not actually representative of how much of your field of vision it will take up in reality.. but that's how i see it.

Still cool PoC. i likes it. Now someone needs to write a game that plays off the world around you.. and that will be some epic stuff.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
MrBaskerville said:
PoolCleaningRobot said:
But it´s like the future (as it could be depicted in some absurd Verhoven movie)!

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
MrBaskerville said:
If what the video shows is representative of what you see when you wear Google Glasses, this seems to be a pretty dumb and dangerous idea.
This is all I can think every time I see Google Glass. It's just such an astronomically bad idea for anytime someone is on the go. People are distracted enough with cell phones for christ sake.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Now we soon have to worry about people driving with this thing on. I know people thinks thats a retarded thing to say. But people use there mobile phones while driving so there are plenty of idiots out there.

Also not sure who would buy thing. They said you can check your FB account......but wouldnt it be easier to use your smart phone? I dont know, maybe im wrong.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
SonOfVoorhees said:
Now we soon have to worry about people driving with this thing on. I know people thinks thats a retarded thing to say. But people use there mobile phones while driving so there are plenty of idiots out there.

Also not sure who would buy thing. They said you can check your FB account......but wouldnt it be easier to use your smart phone? I dont know, maybe im wrong.
If people don't recognize them then you could taker their picture without their knowledge. So it might be popular with stalkers at least.

With handhelds, you can see that they're playing and know to give them a wide berth. With Googler Glass, you can't tell they're playing and as such stand a greater chance of being run into. Truly we live in enlightened times.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
It's cool that you can play Battleship on your glasses, but I'm appalled by the visual elements. It doesn't look very pretty, for a game that's literally centimeters from your eyes.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
PoolCleaningRobot said:
It does have some genuinely useful uses like GPS and things, being able to read a messages/e-mails/updates and decide whether to respond or not is not massively useful but convenient. Thing is they are still bulky and obvious, until tech advances enough to fix that smart watches are probably the better option. They have their own problems like battery life and being ugly though.

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
Ok, lets be clear here. People are doing to do this while driving. It's going to happen. And they are going to KILL someone. BrickSimple is going to have blood on their hands.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
J Tyran said:
PoolCleaningRobot said:
It does have some genuinely useful uses like GPS and things, being able to read a messages/e-mails/updates and decide whether to respond or not is not massively useful but convenient. Thing is they are still bulky and obvious, until tech advances enough to fix that smart watches are probably the better option. They have their own problems like battery life and being ugly though.
But these are things you can do with a normal smart phone, I don't get why people would want to wear their smart phone on them. It just seems cumbersome. Plus, you that annoying feeling when you're talking to someone wearing a bluetooth headset as though they can't be bothered to give you their full attention? It'll be like that times 10 for people wearing Google Glass.

And just because your hands are free doesn't mean you can multitask. When comparing car accidents cause by people talking on cell phones, most accidents are caused by people wearing bluetooths as opposed to people with one hand on the wheel and one on the phone. The reason is the people with bluetooths think they can relax and do more when they really can't

Hands free video capture is cool, if a bit creepy. Other than that, I don't see what Google Glass has to offer other than scifi futuristic novelty

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
I'm waaaay too shy to walk around a supermarket yelling "THREE, FOUR". In fact, I think most people are.

Also, how difficult would it be to set a game up? I couldn't tell how they were navigating the menus at the start.

I just don't like the look of this at all.