Battlestar Galactica Demo Released

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Battlestar Galactica Demo Released

Battlestar Galactica [http://www.sierra.com/].

The game will allow players to take part in 10 missions taken from the series, as either the fleeing Colonials or the marauding Cylons. Multiplayer action is also supported with Domination, Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch game types supporting up to eight players over Xbox Live Arcade [http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/livearcadexbox360/] or 16 players in the PC version.

"It was really important to us from day one to make sure we created a game that is both true to the show and gamer approved," said Connie Brammeier, Executive Producer at Sierra. "We've successfully incorporated the overall feel of the series including visuals and memorable battles into the game while focusing on incredible gameplay, ensuring a great experience for gamers and fans of the show."

The demo, weighing in at 102 MB, is available at official Battlestar Galactica game website [http://computergames.ro/en/downloads/viewitem/id/9544/name/battlestar-galactica-demo.html].

Redfeather

Sep 18, 2007
Unfortunately the e-mail being sent out about this (by the BSG game site) is triggering phish filters, because the origin name doesn't match the stated name, and it redirects to apparently yet a third location.

It *is* legit...but my gmail spazzed out on it.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
If it's the demo of the piss poor shooter I've seen... no way. I'm too much in luv with the series to let an absurd game ruin it.

Zoidbergio

Oct 4, 2007
I'm so glad i live in the vicinity of a major american city

http://www.battlestarevent.com/

I'm gonna see Razor on a movie screen for free two weeks before it airs.

Nov 1, 2007
I bought the full arcade game. It was short, but each mission brought a new gameplay element with each scenario, which was nice. Some of the achievements are frustrating, and it should've had more options in everything, from offline replayability to online stuff. For those of you who havn't seen the first 3 seasons, i don't recommend getting it, as the developers seem to have assumed that everyone who bought it has seen every episode. And i wanted online co-op, but that dream was crushed, along with the hopes of being able to create your own pilot... It's fun, don't get me wrong, but only hardcore battlestar fans will be satisfied, and even some of those fans are saying it sucks, so yeah... beware. And Razor looks sweet. Mark your calenders for 11-24-07.

OrenA

Sep 14, 2007
Hmm... Well I was going to dub this "Homeworld III: This time it comes with the BSG Mod Preinstalled" But I can't actually seem to figure out what kind of game it is. It looks a lot like Homeworld with spruced up graphics. Too bad I Cant play the Demo on my Mac.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I tried the demo for it and it's simply embarrassing in every possible way. Everyone involved with it - Auran for developing it, Sierra for publishing it, and Sci-Fi for allowing their "critically acclaimed" product to be associated with it - should be ashamed for what is obviously nothing more than a half-baked turd cranked out in a rush to take advantage of a dying franchise. I'm a pretty big fan of the series (the previous season notwithstanding) and I was really looking forward to some BSG space combat action, but this was like playing somebody's high school project.

MrKeroChan

Oct 3, 2007
Over the years, I've learn that no matter hope appealing the game; if Serria/Vivendi is involved, the game WILL BE at giant piece of bloatware & blow the chunkiest of chunks.

BSG is great...and a BSG game could have been great too....

nagumo [deprecated]

Nov 3, 2007
Stick with the Freespace BSG mod. This game is awful. How anyone could screw up a top-down shooter so horrifically, I just don't know. They did manage quite well, if I do say so myself.

Nukelear

Oct 29, 2007
I played it for a total of about 20 minutes and i have seen better graphics and gameplay in freelancer mods then this. There was little in the way of explanation of the fights that you are about to partake in so it is fairly inaccessible to anyone who hasn't watched the series. As a secondary result of this there is no new story or content that i saw so it isn't going to keep people playing for that.

Gameplay...does it have any? You are on a 2D plain with a 3rd person view of your fighter. You can't see more then a few seconds in front of you so crashing is rather easy. When doing the "Shoot down the nukes coming at BSG" mission i found myself staring at the minimap more then the main screen. I kept wanting to zoom in and take a more first person view but of course i can't.

Graphics are state of the art....if it was 1997. Unfortunately it isn't and when the cut scene when a nuke hits Galactica reminds me of the single player of freelancer when one of your 'friends' decides to blow his ship up to save everyone else. Utterly pathetic by today's standards.

The devs said they wanted to stay true to the BSG theme and lore. So when did vipers get upgraded with lasers and shields? Since when was the blackbird cloak an active thing? The fun of the space combat scenes in BSG comes from the large 3D expanse where vipers come in from different angles doing quick flip manurers and blowing things up. This didn't even look like coming close to this. My suggestion for the people that wrote this game is to bin it, pretend it was all a bad dream and go and help the people who are making Beyond the Red Line (Which is the Freespace mod mentioned in nagumo's post) as I have played the demo of that and for a free game made by volunteers it is nothing short of amazing.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Nukelear said:
I played it for a total of about 20 minutes and i have seen better graphics and gameplay in freelancer mods then this. There was little in the way of explanation of the fights that you are about to partake in so it is fairly inaccessible to anyone who hasn't watched the series. As a secondary result of this there is no new story or content that i saw so it isn't going to keep people playing for that.

Gameplay...does it have any? You are on a 2D plain with a 3rd person view of your fighter. You can't see more then a few seconds in front of you so crashing is rather easy. When doing the "Shoot down the nukes coming at BSG" mission i found myself staring at the minimap more then the main screen. I kept wanting to zoom in and take a more first person view but of course i can't.

Graphics are state of the art....if it was 1997. Unfortunately it isn't and when the cut scene when a nuke hits Galactica reminds me of the single player of freelancer when one of your 'friends' decides to blow his ship up to save everyone else. Utterly pathetic by today's standards.

The devs said they wanted to stay true to the BSG theme and lore. So when did vipers get upgraded with lasers and shields? Since when was the blackbird cloak an active thing? The fun of the space combat scenes in BSG comes from the large 3D expanse where vipers come in from different angles doing quick flip manurers and blowing things up. This didn't even look like coming close to this. My suggestion for the people that wrote this game is to bin it, pretend it was all a bad dream and go and help the people who are making Beyond the Red Line (Which is the Freespace mod mentioned in nagumo's post) as I have played the demo of that and for a free game made by volunteers it is nothing short of amazing.
You wasted more time typing this than they did coding the game.