BattleTech Kicks Butt, Reaches Kickstarter Goal in 53 Minutes

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
My monies!!! They takes it, they takes it mommy!!!

Karadalis said:
LBX autocannons (shotgun cannons)
To nitpick further, LBX are a variable ammo weapon and can carry multiple kinds at the same time so you could switch out between shells and canisters. Furthermore, if I am not mistaken, different manufacturers built LBX (and non LBX) cannons with different behaviors. Some shot one big slug or a rapid succession of slugs at different velocities and calibers, I do not think any game other than Mechwarrior Online explored (poorly) the different varieties of autocannons.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
JustAnotherAardvark said:
Marik or Kurita, Marik or Kurita ... decisions, decisions!

Edit: holy poop, batman! I was just thinking "I still have the Wolf's Dragoons trilogy from Stackpole on my shelf, wonder what he's doing these days..." and boom! there he is in the project. /fangasm

Edit of Edit: Backed! Thanks, Escapist. :)
marik and kurita scum !!! house steiner is the only choice

ill back this in a couple of weeks when i actually have money, but good to see they already have enough for the single player campaign.

alot of people are going to pick this up and then the complaints will start.. where is my.. insert weapon here.. as others pointed out the original gear and weapon selections were very limited

rgrekejin

Mar 6, 2011
Eh... I've wanted a new Mechwarrior game for some time, but I was hoping for a Mech simulator, not a strategy game (turn-based or otherwise). I'm probably gonna take a pass on this.

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
We shall join battle for the glory of House Davion!

Now shut up and take my money already.

Here I had thought the battletech universe was pretty much dead. I was playing the mechwarrior games since I was old enough to grasp a joystick.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Tantalizing. Oh, so tantalizing. I took a gamble on HBS with their very first project, and it paid off in a big way. And now they're doing a Battletech tactical turn-based game? I think... I don't really have a choice here.

Randall

Oct 1, 2015
Hey Stew, awesome to see the love of BattleTech is alive and well. Just wanted to point out that the tabletop experience for BattleTech is still alive and well also, and can be enjoyed in a variety of ways as I detail on the Catalyst Tumblr. Any way we might get a short update to the article? Either way, thanks for the enthusiasm! http://catalystgamelabs.tumblr.com/post/130139882901/battletech-choose-your-experience

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Right when I saw "turn-based", I lost all interest. Whhhhyyyyy... ? Also, the time they set it in. If a poster is to be believed here, we won't have a massive crapload of cool stuff. Whhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyy?

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
MarsAtlas said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
Right when I saw "turn-based", I lost all interest. Whhhhyyyyy... ?
Well they're taking the decades old tabletop game and translating that gameplay into a videogame. The last year has blown a lot of life into the franchise and live action gameplay could be in the cards.

Also, the time they set it in. If a poster is to be believed here, we won't have a massive crapload of cool stuff. Whhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyy?
3025 is probably the most popular time to play Battletech among the fanbase for the purpose of roleplaying. The events at the time can probably be quickest described as "three hundred years of Game of Thrones". 3050 seems to be the second most popular because thats when the Clan invasion begins.
I doubt they're going to make a real-time mech game though because, if THIS is so popular, I'm sure after it's finished, fans will be asking for another turn-based game instead of a real-time one.

I wonder if I'll ever see the equivalent of Mechwarrior 3 in this day and age again... XP

JustAnotherAardvark

Feb 19, 2015
Arnoxthe1 said:
I wonder if I'll ever see the equivalent of Mechwarrior 3 in this day and age again... XP
I'd like that; I'd skip the complete customization this time, or at least balance it better.
No moar all engine + 1 laser/machine gun toads. :p
Had enough of that crap in pirate's moon.

I *love* Mechwarrior, and have fond memories of both the single player and the campaign that ran on Genie. That said, I got into Battletech with, well, Battletech, and I'll squee more than adequately for a turn based Battletech game.

With none of this new fangled Clan twiddle twaddle.
>.>
<.<

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Well, I was pretty happy with what HBS did with Shadowrun. I wish them luck with this one.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Hopefully this will be like the tabletop version and the mechs will be able to punch,kick and hit each other with blown off mech limbs. That was always my favorite part.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
I hope that if this does well HBS will do what they did with Shadowrun and make several expandalones exploring other settings. Nothing wrong wrong with 3025, but I would love to see a story set during the 3050 invasion. Or hell, go out even farther with the Word of Blake jihad in 3067 or the schism that created clan Wolves-in-Exile in 3057. So many interesting stories to explore.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Already thrown my cash at it but for the first time with a kickstarter I'm genuinely thinking of upping my pledge.
The dynamic elements of the mercenary campaign they're dangling just out of reach really appeal to me.

I do hope one day we'll see something like the old style of mechwarrior game again.
Mercenary campaign, lance management and all the fun of riding around on top of a poorly shielded nuclear reactor on stompy legs.
I know there's the mechwarrior online, but I really used to enjoy the singleplayer games of yesteryear for their campaigns.

major_chaos said:
I hope that if this does well HBS will do what they did with Shadowrun and make several expandalones exploring other settings. Nothing wrong wrong with 3025, but I would love to see a story set during the 3050 invasion. Or hell, go out even farther with the Word of Blake jihad in 3067 or the schism that created clan Wolves-in-Exile in 3057. So many interesting stories to explore.
I'd be happy to see this game shift back to the old style of expansions over dlc.
Yearly releases that expanded on the campaign timeline, maps and mech-tech.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
HBS is doing the developing? Hells-to-the-yeah. I might kick a few bucks their way. They've earned some geek cred. They can be loyal to fans, the universe, and produce a quality product.

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
Gundam GP01 said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
MarsAtlas said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
Right when I saw "turn-based", I lost all interest. Whhhhyyyyy... ?
Well they're taking the decades old tabletop game and translating that gameplay into a videogame. The last year has blown a lot of life into the franchise and live action gameplay could be in the cards.

Also, the time they set it in. If a poster is to be believed here, we won't have a massive crapload of cool stuff. Whhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyy?
3025 is probably the most popular time to play Battletech among the fanbase for the purpose of roleplaying. The events at the time can probably be quickest described as "three hundred years of Game of Thrones". 3050 seems to be the second most popular because thats when the Clan invasion begins.
I doubt they're going to make a real-time mech game though because, if THIS is so popular, I'm sure after it's finished, fans will be asking for another turn-based game instead of a real-time one.

You know, I bet people like you are the reason why we got the Syndicate reboot, or why XCOM was going to be an FPS before the fans stepped in and demanded an actual successor.
The thing is though that unlike Syndicate and XCOM, Mechwarrior has been proven to work very, very well in a first-person perspective. It's one thing to be playing the original tactical game, yes, but it's another thing to be actually sitting in the cockpit of your 'Mech and leading the charge on an enemy base, or kicking the shit out of those Solaris pilots who think they're hot shit. Mechwarrior 4 Mercs is one of my favorite games of all time.

Still, I'm a bit upset we don't get a 3050 setting for the Clan invasion. No Clan attack means no awesome 'Mechs like the Mad Cats.