Bayonetta 2 Joins the Cosplaying Parade of Nintendo Costumes

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Bayonetta 2 Joins the Cosplaying Parade of Nintendo Costumes

<youtube=0phuu6KkTMM>​
Bayonetta can dress up as characters from The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox, and Super Mario Bros. in Bayonetta 2.

A Nintendo Direct presentation last night for Nintendo and Platinum Games' Bayonetta 2 announced the titular witch can dress up as various Nintendo characters.

Players can unlock the costumes in the sequel. Bayonetta 2 will launch only on the Wii U, and a physical release includes a copy of the first Bayonetta game. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/e32014/11636-Bayonetta-2-on-WiiU-This-October-Comes-With-First-Game]

The costumes for Bayonetta include Star Fox's Fox McCloud, The Legend of Zelda's Link, Metroid's Samus, and Super Mario Bros.' Princess Peach. Platinum Games detailed the Nintendo-inspired costumes and some of their effects earlier [http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/24/5836848/bayonetta-wii-u-port-director-details-nintendo-costumes-and-abilities], but the Nintendo Direct introduced Fox McCloud. Costume changes for Bayonetta do more than show her in other outfits. Bayonetta will have special moves when wearing certain costumes; when dressed as Metroid's Samus, Bayonetta can transform into a rolling morph ball. Sound effects, such as the treasure chest tune from Legend of Zelda are also added in depending on the costume worn. Players can also flip up or down Samus' visor at any time.

[gallery=3119]

Bayonetta 2 also has a cooperative online multiplayer mode called Tag Climax. Shopkeeper Rodin will be playable in this mode. The first player will play as Bayonetta while the second player can choose to play as either Rodin or Jeanne. The two players fight enemies and can bet Halos (the currency in the game) on defeating enemies quickly.

Bayonetta 2 launches October 24 in North America and Europe.

Source: Nintendo Direct [http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/09-04-2014/]

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
So the costumes also add extra abilities, huh? That's actually a nice touch so those costumes aren't...JUST THERE because it's Nintendo.

Wait...the currency is called Halos?!? So...if you get enough, can you unlock a Master Chief costume? *cheeky smirk*

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
There's something off about the Princess Peach costume, but I can't figure out what. That's going to be bugging me I'm sure.

The Fox costume just looks like she killed him and is wearing his ears as a trophy.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Of all the stuff they talk about in the Nintendo Direct, you focus on the Nintendo costumes they announced and demonstrated two months ago?

...yeah, that's about right.

DaViller

Sep 3, 2013
Must play bayonetta, must play bayonetta, must play bayonetta....FUUUUUCK why is it not fucking oktober yet september sucks and everyone hates it anway so why the hell does it exist!

Ok sorry I just had to get it out of my system. I very much look forward to this game as it does look very promising.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
So the extra's actually do stuff, the multiplayer sounds interesting and you get a free copy of the first one, this game just keeps on giving.

I just realized how much Bayonetta looks like a self aware Final Fantasy game, like seriously Square, take notes.

Dec 14, 2009
Totes using the Samus outfit.

Mostly because it looks like it'll do the classic Platinum Games visor 'phwip'

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Oh God...
At this point just have her release a sex tape. How is it Nintendo hasn't been called sexist for this? They're parading her boobs around so shamelessly!

The Apple BOOM

Nov 16, 2012
roseofbattle said:
Bayonetta 2 also has a cooperative online multiplayer mode called Tag Climax. Shopkeeper Rodin will be playable in this mode. The first player will play as Bayonetta while the second player can choose to play as either Rodin or Jeanne.
Um, I don't know what direct you were watching, but the one I was watching had player 1 choose to play Bayonetta. I don't like getting hostile in these forums, but both that line and the headline make me feel like you barely payed attention for information for this article.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Silentpony said:
Oh God...
At this point just have her release a sex tape. How is it Nintendo hasn't been called sexist for this? They're parading her boobs around so shamelessly!
That reminds of this years E3. The Platinum representative that showed off Bayonetta 1 and 2 during the Treehouse stream said that they added a undershirt to the Link outfit only for the Nintendo developer/representative/whatever that works with Platinum to come and tell them to remove it.

Call me sexist but based Nintendo on that decision.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Silentpony said:
Oh God...
I would argue that depicting sexiness, even extreme sexiness, is not necessarily sexist. Plus, people have been making noise since it was announced that Bayonetta 2 would be Nintendo exclusive. It hasn't caught on as a discussion topic. It seems that virtually no one cares.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
DrOswald said:
Silentpony said:
Oh God...
I would argue that depicting sexiness, even extreme sexiness, is not necessarily sexist. Plus, people have been making noise since it was announced that Bayonetta 2 would be Nintendo exclusive. It hasn't caught on as a discussion topic. It seems that virtually no one cares.
I mean she is sexy, that's her point. She is walking wank material, so I guess props to Nintendo for knowing exactly what she is and just rolling with it. I wouldn't expect the pron industry to tell their stars to put clothes back on. But she is nothing BUT sex. All her moves, how she walks, talks, EVERYTHING is fetish. And I'm all in favor for that, as its her character and the consistency is nice. I just don't get why, with all that's going on in the game world, Nintendo isn't being hounded in this...delicate time.

Post Tenebrae Morte

Jun 6, 2011
Silentpony said:
DrOswald said:
Silentpony said:
Oh God...
I mean she is sexy, that's her point. She is walking wank material, so I guess props to Nintendo for knowing exactly what she is and just rolling with it. I wouldn't expect the pron industry to tell their stars to put clothes back on. But she is nothing BUT sex. All her moves, how she walks, talks, EVERYTHING is fetish. And I'm all in favor for that, as its her character and the consistency is nice. I just don't get why, with all that's going on in the game world, Nintendo isn't being hounded in this...delicate time.
She was designed to be attractive, yes, but it's insulting to insinuate that she is only that. She does have a character: a confident, playful woman who isn't afraid to express her sexuality. She embraces it and loves to toy around with people at times. And, when she gets serious, she is caring, loving, and a loyal friend. Just because she has a great form, doesn't mean she lacks depth.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
kailus13 said:
There's something off about the Princess Peach costume, but I can't figure out what. That's going to be bugging me I'm sure.
Maybe the fact that it's really short?Peach tends to wear a floor length dress

PunkRex said:
and you get a free copy of the first one,
Only if you buy the special edition or first print edition though.The regular edition only has Bayonetta 2

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Efrit_ said:
She was designed to be attractive, yes, but it's insulting to insinuate that she is only that. She does have a character: a confident, playful woman who isn't afraid to express her sexuality. She embraces it and loves to toy around with people at times. And, when she gets serious, she is caring, loving, and a loyal friend. Just because she has a great form, doesn't mean she lacks depth.
In other words she's a sexy character, rather than a sex object. The latter is what people are complaining about mostly.

Along with Hyrule Warriors this just keeps looking like loads of relatively light-hearted, self-aware fun in a Triple-A sea of grimdark (w)angst. Nintendo picking up the ball?

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Totes using the Samus outfit.

Mostly because it looks like it'll do the classic Platinum Games visor 'phwip'
It does, and I'm pretty sure you can do it anytime you want including cutscenes. So you can have it constantly flipping up and down if you wish.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
So basically Nintendo has done just about everything that they can to solve Bayonetta going to a single platform game right? I mean giving you the first game, new Nintendo themed costumes with special abilities, what else could they do?

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
The sad thing is, none of those costumes fit her very well at all. ._.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Silentpony said:
Oh God...
Do remember that Platinum games basically consists of the people who made the most fanservice-tastic male character in gaming.

who needs a shirt anyway, right? [http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/10400000/Dante-Devil-May-Cry-3-devil-may-cry-3-10480515-1600-1200.jpg]

So it's not like they won't go the other way.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
It's nice that they're putting in the extra effort and all, but these just look hideous. I mean, the alt costumes in the original game mostly looked less than fantastic, but the irreconcilable stylistic differences in these make me question the taste of anyone who would even consider using them.