Bayonetta: Getting Creative With Murder

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Bayonetta: Getting Creative With Murder

I bet Kratos just wishes he could summon a magic Iron Maiden out of nowhere to kill his enemies.

[gametrailers=58789]

It must be annoying to try to come up with a new original IP for a brutally over-the-top violent action game these days. Not only do you need to find a main character archetype that isn't "grim psychopath filled with rage" a la Kratos or "cocky superhuman who's as over-the-top stylish as he is violent" like Dante, but you need to find new and inventive ways to kill people, too. Swords, axes, even whirling blades all seem old hat.

But it isn't like the folks behind Bayonetta aren't trying. Oh sure, she's got blades and guns like everyone else, but she also attacks with her hair. And as this video shows, once Bayonetta builds up enough magic via combo attacks, she'll be able to use a "Torture" move to finish her opponent off - and most of them seem based on famous methods of torture or execution.

We have her shoving the opponents into a guillotine, we see her trap people inside an Iron Maiden (no, not the band) and we see her summoning a giant... spiked wheel... thing, all of which seem to be fairly original as far as the genre is concerned. Stylish executions are part of the fun of the God of War games, after all - if there are more than just these three seen here, it could be a lot of fun just to try to find them all.

I don't know. A lot of gamers seem to be writing Bayonetta as just a bland Devil May Cry clone, but I'm not sure they're giving it enough credit. The people I know who've played it have genuinely enjoyed it (even comparing it favorably to playable builds of God of War 3) and it's certainly got its own unique take on the genre.

We'll know when it hits North America on January 5th.

(Also, is anyone else of the sudden opinion that every game trailer should now be narrated by women with sexy British accents? Just throwin' that out there, I mean...)

(Via Joystiq [http://feeds.joystiq.com/~r/weblogsinc/joystiq/~3/dfiW6jf5hZI/])

Elesar

Apr 16, 2009
Firstly: IRON MAIDEN? EXCELLENT! *Guitar riff*
Secondly: So Bayonetta is being added to the long list of games this year that is trying too hard.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Speaking of the band Iron Maidne, Brütal Legend could have used some Bruce Dickinson awesomeness...

Bayonetta seems like a title worth buying now. I'll seriously consider it form now on.

CrysisMcGee

Sep 2, 2009
Wow. This game looks Sick. In a good way. To be honest, the game looks awesome and I can't wait to play it.

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
It's like Musou in Dynasty Warriors with Iron Maidens and Guillotines.

I doubt I'll buy it though, just doesn't seem like my kind of game at present.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Hmm, interesting.
However, gore does not make a game. We'll see how this goes, and if it deserves a rental.

Feb 18, 2009
I have to admit, using guillotine (as a weapon) effectively in a combat is quite a feat. Now if only she used it as a primary weapon, what a sight that would be.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
(Also, is anyone else of the sudden opinion that every game trailer should now be narrated by women with sexy British accents? Just throwin' that out there, I mean...)
There's at least a half-dozen different accents which come from Britain :p

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Amnestic said:
There's at least a half-dozen different accents which come from Britain :p
Then whichever one is in the video, duh!

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
What reviews have you been reading? Most of the reviews I've seen so far have been almost creepy in their adoration of the game.

Anyway, back on topic, I will say this. Bayonetta falls into a different sub-genre than DMC, NG, or GoW.

Devil May Cry is "Stylish Action."
Ninja Gaiden is "Timed-Action," timed not referring to time limits, but to exact dodges, blocks, and strikes.
God of War is "Brutal Action."
Bayonetta is "Over-the-Top Action."

Yeah, I'm that guy.

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
Brutal Legend had a flaming lead zeppelin, now Bayonetta has an Iron Maiden? 2009 is the year of the badass, people!

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I have to say, I don't usually go for the stylish beat 'em ups, but the demo had me sold. It's just so simple to execute some really crazy moves. And the torture moves and temporary weapons does just enough to always keep it interesting.

Also, best use of bullet time in a long while. It takes some skill to trigger instead of just tapping a button.

Feb 13, 2008
Let's put it this way...it's made me think of getting a console.

I believe the accent John is referring to is the popular "plummy" Estuary/Kentish dialect.

A Brummie Bayonetta wouldn't sound quite as glamororous, wud shay?

-Ulven-

Nov 18, 2009
I bet Kratos would either make love to this woman or bash her brains out... or both! But Kratos will always rule these kind of games in my opninon, with Ryu and Ninja Gaiden Black closely behind.