Bayonnetta fight strategy

migo

Jun 27, 2010
There's this recurring encounter that's largely responsible for most of my deaths. A pair of angels, one of whom has fire powers and the other lightning. If they get combos going they can finish me within a matter of seconds. Occasionally I can pull off something flawlessly on them, but it seems more a matter of luck than anything else. I'm at this encounter where I have to face a set of them twice in a row (maybe more? I've never beat the second one). I've found certain strategies for certain angels that work quite well, but never one for this set, and it's doubly screwed now that I have beast within that when I'm trying to dodge I've got equal odds of turning into a panther instead of engaging witch time.

Any particular technique that helps to buy from Rodin? A strategy that works particularly well? I've got one of those horns that can mostly take them out in one hit, but that's a one use deal and it doesn't help for the second run.

automatron

Apr 21, 2010
I remember those angels.
If I can remember correctly those were the worst guys I fighted.
I just found that dodging and activating witch time was the best way to fight them

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
Have you tried dodging?
I'm not trying to be condecending but a lot of people that have trouble with this kind of game only have trouble because they forget to dodge.
Other than that take your time, practice dodging their attacks, learn their patterns don't just attack blindly and if it come down to it chip away at their health rather than trying to take away big chunks, good luck.

automatron said:
*Twitch*

automatron

Apr 21, 2010
moretimethansense said:
Have you tried dodging?
I'm not trying to be condecending but a lot of people that have trouble with this kind of game only have trouble because they forget to dodge.
Other than that take your time, practice dodging their attacks, learn their patterns don't just attack blindly and if it come down to it chip away at their health rather than trying to take away big chunks, good luck.

automatron said:
*Twitch*
Oh god I'm sry. I meant fought.
I new fighted sounded terrible.
And if you get caught in a combo from those to you're screwed, so yeh, dodge

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
automatron said:
sry - I new - yeh
O_O You're just fucking with me at this point aren't you?

Sorry about the *twitch* comment, but there's this git where I live that uses "ed" as though it were the correct past tense, shooted, fighted and hit-ed(I shit you not) it drives my inner Grammar Nazi nuts.
Wow that was almost painful to write.

Another

Mar 19, 2008
Dodge and swipe. Just one hit then back out. This should charge up a Torture Attack, which will get them near death.

Basically, no fancy combos. Just keep dodging till you see an opening then swipe and move out.

migo

Jun 27, 2010
moretimethansense said:
Have you tried dodging?
Did you read my post?? I specificially mentioned that I'm having a tendency of turning into a panther instead of engaging witch time.

Another said:
Dodge and swipe. Just one hit then back out. This should charge up a Torture Attack, which will get them near death.

Basically, no fancy combos. Just keep dodging till you see an opening then swipe and move out.
That's simple enough, if tedious. I'll give it a shot.

kman123 said:
Difficulty? If Non-Stop, then hit and run, seriously.
Just Normal for now, I haven't unlocked any of the higher ones yet.

I think you've got the panther mode by then, so turn into panther, swipe, and turn back and run.
Can you swipe as a panther or do I have to stop first?

If on easier difficulties, you can be a little more risky and get witch time via last second dodging, even bat(?)within if you have the technique.
I've got a bunch of Halos saved up, so I'll see if I can buy that.

When one is dead, if they drop behind a weapon, pick it up, run to the other side via panther mode, charge it up and let it rip.
I guess that's how I'm supposed to handle the second set. Looks like I need to get a better hang of Panther as well. I was seeing it as a hindrance rather than something I could use to my benefit.

I'm just trying to remember what chapter it is, you may have Sharuba as well (the sword), which is a absolutely kick ass weapon. Also use Kilgore if you have them, equip feet.
Yeah, got Sharuba. I just looked up Kilgore and I'm not that far in the game yet. 3 more chapters to go.

88chaz88

Jul 23, 2010
Kill, kill, KILL!!!!!

This is the mindset I put myself in on hack 'n slash games. It usually works.

Apart from boss fights of course.

Edit: Oh yeah, and don't forget to dodge. Dodging at the right time means time slows down and you can really lay into them.

And take them out one at a time.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Shoot them dead with Square/X and hang back.

Takes forever, but it's safe and will get you through.

Rachel317

Nov 15, 2009
Scobie said:
Just wait until you meet Gracious and Glorious. Can't even get Witch Time off those bastards.
I hate them oh so much. Why remove Witch Time, PG? Why?? I swear, I could get at least Platinum (overall) on that chapter if it wasn't for those buggers.

OT: I have the exact same problem. No strategy seems to work, just Dodge, slice and dice whenever possible, and Torture Attack when you can.
Also, if you've got them already, I would equip Odette. You can move around a lot faster (if you know what you're doing with them), so you have more flexibility when it comes to dodging (and accidentally turning into the panther).
I always get to the point when I'm attacking with the katana really fast, get to the point when I'm just about to go in for a kick finish, they recover and attack me before I hit the ground. Gah. Air-dodge, you are a life saver! I dropped THAT method sharpish!

I'd go for the fire one first, because of his spinning attack, and I find the electric one to be easier to second-guess (as to which attack they're going to use), so can activate Witch Time easier then lay into the fire one.

Also, with your turning into panther thing...really, the only thing you can do is make sure you only dodge once. This sounds condescending and common sense, I know, you just have to learn to time it perfectly. JUST as they're about to do damage to you, dodge. Also, if you don't already have it, buy Bat Within. It is a godsend.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
You've got Shiruba which means PKP unleashes the amazing sword slash Wicked Weave. Dash away in Jaguar form hit PKP and dash away again. If you can get the amulet that automatically triggers Witch Time when you get hit equip it and use it, experiment with not doing torture attacks I find it makes that kind of battle a lot easier.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
To me, regular dodging attacks or projectiles is near useless in harder difficulties, and that's where the Moon of Mahaa Kalaa comes into play. If I can't dodge them, then parry/counterattacking does the trick, every time.

migo

Jun 27, 2010
Rachel317 said:
Scobie said:
Just wait until you meet Gracious and Glorious. Can't even get Witch Time off those bastards.
I hate them oh so much. Why remove Witch Time, PG? Why?? I swear, I could get at least Platinum (overall) on that chapter if it wasn't for those buggers.

OT: I have the exact same problem. No strategy seems to work, just Dodge, slice and dice whenever possible, and Torture Attack when you can.
Also, if you've got them already, I would equip Odette. You can move around a lot faster (if you know what you're doing with them), so you have more flexibility when it comes to dodging (and accidentally turning into the panther).
I think I've seen videos of Odette, but definitely don't have them.

I always get to the point when I'm attacking with the katana really fast, get to the point when I'm just about to go in for a kick finish, they recover and attack me before I hit the ground. Gah. Air-dodge, you are a life saver! I dropped THAT method sharpish!
Yeah, I've been noticing that I get caught in the combos a lot. Kicks are a bit on the slow side, except for the flying jump kick. Sometimes if I time it right I can just finish them off without getting touched with that, but it never works forever.

I'd go for the fire one first, because of his spinning attack, and I find the electric one to be easier to second-guess (as to which attack they're going to use), so can activate Witch Time easier then lay into the fire one.
That's a really smart idea, hadn't thought of approaching it that way, but I've also noticed it's much harder to dodge the fire one.

Also, with your turning into panther thing...really, the only thing you can do is make sure you only dodge once. This sounds condescending and common sense, I know, you just have to learn to time it perfectly. JUST as they're about to do damage to you, dodge. Also, if you don't already have it, buy Bat Within. It is a godsend.
Yeah, I'm having to relearn the dodge-mashing I was doing before. Worked well to start with, continually bouncing around, although right after I bought breakdance I had some problems with it.

Rack said:
You've got Shiruba which means PKP unleashes the amazing sword slash Wicked Weave. Dash away in Jaguar form hit PKP and dash away again. If you can get the amulet that automatically triggers Witch Time when you get hit equip it and use it, experiment with not doing torture attacks I find it makes that kind of battle a lot easier.
Is this something that works even if you're not hitting anything witht he attacks?