BBC Exec Wants a Woman to Play Lead in Doctor Who

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
BBC Exec Wants a Woman to Play Lead in Doctor Who

BBC Television chief Danny Cohen spoke about having a woman play The Doctor at the Edinburgh TV Festival.

The Doctor could be a woman in later iterations of Doctor Who, according to Danny Cohen, BBC's Director of Television. Speaking at the Edinburgh TV Festival today, Cohen was asked if he could envisage seeing the first female Time Lord, to which he replied, "I hope so." Cohen didn't say how soon the series might feature a female lead. Cohen also praised the BBC for its production budgets, saying, " "For the price of two [seasons] of House of Cards, we made 14 drama series for BBC One and BBC Two. What we do with our money is extraordinary." Doctor Who Season 8 trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135746-Doctor-Who-Season-8-Premieres-August-23rd] promises dinosaurs in London, the infamous Daleks, and the return of Madame Vastra.

Fans hoped that the twelfth incarnation of The Doctor would be a woman, suggesting Sherlock's Lara Pulver, Harry Potter's Emma Watson, and Snowpiercer's Tilda Swinton as possible actors. Before Capaldi's casting was announced, Dame Helen Mirren told the regenerate into a woman [http://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz/goss/226332/Helen-Mirren-thinks-time-Dr-Who-changed] to the BBC.

While you're waiting for the season premiere, come gush with us over our time travel paradoxes [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/12131-Our-Favorite-Doctor-Who-Moments] on The Escapist's Science and Tech Podcast.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bbc-tv-chief-hopes-see-726733]

Mirrorknight

Jul 23, 2009
Yeah, let's go ahead and do this within the next couple regens. Only can flip a coin so many times before it comes up heads.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Well, seeing as a lot of people have wanted this for a long time, I hope it happens.
But it won't if Moffat is still doing the writing.

I look forward to see what happens- but I'm not holding my breath.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Nah, I just can't see this, sorry. I don't think I could buy into the Doctor we know as being a female. It would be interesting to see what the actual showrunners woulds make of this idea. It's something I could see Steven Moffat jumping at, if only for the chance to make the Doctor his/her own grandmother. Or something.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Bah! They are a corporation with an interest in good PR, not a honest interest in True Progress, therefore I would much rather have a male Doctor. In fact, I care so much about feminism, that I will write a rant about why this is a disastrous idea and this bodyless, eternally changing non-human character absolutely NEEDS to keep materialising as a dude.

First of all, I only have respect for brand new female characters. I feel that those could be doing a lot more for True Progress, than the political correctness brigade stealing the penises of our established iconic characters. You see, it might often happen that a character's appearance, backstory, or even name, or behavior, are reimagined in a reboot, or the whole role filled in by a legacy character, and those can be quite good. But female representation shouldn't be increased through that particular channel, because it's not just ANY re-writing, it's a matter of True Progress.

I have so much respect for the ladies, it is only a sign of my high expectations for them, that while the overwhelming majority of pop-cultural development happens through evolution of pre-existing IPs, I hold them to a higher standard, and only accepting their appearance in the smaller niche of new IPs specifically.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
The Beeb love to talk about it - seeing as it's a surefire way to drum up some media interest - but I doubt they'll ever actually do it. If they ever do I hope to god it's not under Moffat, seeing as his handling of female characters is, at best, often problematic.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
"For the price of two [seasons] of House of Cards, we made 14 drama series for BBC One and BBC Two. What we do with our money is extraordinary."

Hahaha and it shows. Production quality isn't even on the same level.

Pinky's Brain

Mar 2, 2011
It's mostly a show aimed at young people, making it a woman might piss off some older "kids" but it's not like the target audience has elevated the Doctor to any kind of iconic figure ... they come to it new every generation.

If Helen Mirren is not simply being facetious I think decision makers at the BBC would be a fool not give it real considerations and get some scripts written (pulling it off is going to take some pretty good writing). Emma Watson though ... hell no, maybe in say 20 years.

I do think they have to reverse the gender of the sidekick at the same time though.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
sneakypenguin said:
"For the price of two [seasons] of House of Cards, we made 14 drama series for BBC One and BBC Two. What we do with our money is extraordinary."

Hahaha and it shows. Production quality isn't even on the same level.
Maybe but the BBC makes a hell of a lot more profit, they have the mugs back at home funding the creation of the show with the TV licencing and then sell the programs globally.

They have to pay for all those staff "expenses" and £500 office plants somehow right?

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Entitled said:
Bah! They are a corporation with an interest in good PR, not a honest interest in True Progress, therefore I would much rather have a male Doctor. In fact, I care so much about feminism, that I will write a rant about why this is a disastrous idea and this bodyless, eternally changing non-human character absolutely NEEDS to keep materialising as a dude.

First of all, I only have respect for brand new female characters. I feel that those could be doing a lot more for True Progress, than the political correctness brigade stealing the penises of our established iconic characters. You see, it might often happen that a character's appearance, backstory, or even name, or behavior, are reimagined in a reboot, or the whole role filled in by a legacy character, and those can be quite good. But female representation shouldn't be increased through that particular channel, because it's not just ANY re-writing, it's a matter of True Progress.

I have so much respect for the ladies, it is only a sign of my high expectations for them, that while the overwhelming majority of pop-cultural development happens through evolution of pre-existing IPs, I hold them to a higher standard, and only accepting their appearance in the smaller niche of new IPs specifically.
The sarcasm is thick in this one, methinks.

Unfortunately, Moffatt is actually a pretty steep entry barrier. He's codified the modern concept of the Companion and can't design female time travellers-slash-Time Lords without making them part of some extremely byzantine situation that ultimately has no real need for their involvement.

I've been thinking that he's past his prime as a Who screenwriter and showrunner for a few seasons, actually. We do need a fresher take on the series - but I'm not keen on rejecting Peter Capaldi's tenure, either.

Let's give the man the time he needs, and then we might worry (or hope, as the case may be) that someone will come along to tip the scales.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Awesome, something new for people to complain about instead of Zoe Quinn.
Touche!

But unlike that whole mess, I will freely admit that it is merely my personal take on the doctor, that I would rather not see reincarnated as a woman. I don't think it's necessary, and would rather see a female Galifreyan in a spin-off series.

I won't go on about how it would lose fans, because I don't think it would at all. From a feminist point of view where media is concerned, I think it would be a fine move. But I won't watch it.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Mcoffey said:
MarsProbe said:
Nah, I just can't see this, sorry. I don't think I could buy into the Doctor we know as being a female. It would be interesting to see what the actual showrunners woulds make of this idea. It's something I could see Steven Moffat jumping at, if only for the chance to make the Doctor his/her own grandmother. Or something.
Okay, I'll bite. Why couldnt you buy into a female Doctor?
I guess I just see the Doctor as a male - as it's how he's been in both "old" and "new" Who. I'd have no issue with a smart, eccentric female Time Lord showing up at some point, but I would just prefer it wasn't the Doctor. That, and if it did happen, it would probably end up just smacking of a token gesture to "diversity", which would serve as a reminder of Russel T. Davies more ham-fisted "look - homosexuality!" moments.

So basically, I see the Doctor as being a male of his race/species, therefore he should stay that way. The same way I fell about Thor's recent sex change. By all means, come up with a good strong female character, but surely you can manage that without having to resort to gender-swapping an existing male character.

Silverbane7

Jul 1, 2012
i think it would be better to try a spin off with the doctors daughter.
she can have young atractive male companions that are bright but naive and they can get into scrapes becasue she is young but curious.
this would allow the people that want a show about young (shaggable) time traveling people a show without actualy changing the main dynamic of dr who

not only would she have a whole new set of rules, and a new feel, they could tackle more modern ideas (like feminism and sexism and so forth)and not be bound by the standard 'but its dr who, for kids!' rules and doctrines.

course the current series is going to loose a fair amount of watchers again this time around.
first we loose the 'omg hes OLD!' tantrum kids...yeah, we know, he's not young enough looking for you to bed him. so what.
nest we loose the 6-8pm folks that have the telly on while getting ready to go out on the pull/drink who are now left with stuff like tumble and the voice....they used to flip on dr who and boost the ratings but oh no, we have to put reality tv inthat spot. we'll tell the masses its casue we want to try to introduce more 'mature' themes to dr who.

its not. its just so that cheap reality tv can take the place of decent programming.

thats why we wont get new scifi shows. thats why new shows start, but get canned all over tv-land. (im looking at you, almost human. you were good but reality tv is cheaper *sigh* so bye-bye)
befor long, your tv vewings goign to be nothing but reality shows, reality dramas and reality documentaries....well at least we guys have the internet and streaming stuff to watch the decent shows on..till those get taken out to fill the sercers with moar reality....

i need a cynicisum removal operation XD

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
The idea's been tossed about a lot since they brought the show back, and I think it has merit... but when the idea is coming from an executive it gives me pause. Just ask Colin Baker and Slyvester McCoy what they think of "executive meddling" in Doctor Who.

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
The concept is fine, if implemented properly.
If they want to do it simply to appease PR and a PC community, then they shouldn't.
Pretty much meaning, as long as it isn't forced and for the wrong reasons, I don't see why it would be a problem (But the chances of that are minimal)

ZeroAxis

Apr 11, 2010
Mcoffey said:
I hope a female Doctor is sooner rather than later myself, but what else is he supposed to say? "Nah, girls are gross."

If they really want to do it, they should just do it. Put your money where your mouth is BBC!

RIVER SONG! is essentially the female Doctor Who. She probably did it better than David Tennant and Matt Smith. Make an Episode 0 next season of her tripping the Doctor as he leaves the TARDIS, she steals it and the name (her sonic screwdriver was already more advanced as mentioned in that episode with that huge library and shadow creature) and it's Doctor Who.