BBC Unveils Third Doctor Who Game

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
BBC Unveils Third Doctor Who Game

It's not Daleks or Cybermen threatening the Doctor in the third of the Doctor Who adventure games. This time, the danger comes from a certain blue box.

As fans of Doctor Who are aware, the TARDIS is a pretty unique vehicle, practically infinite in size, and filled with libraries and swimming pools and more besides. It's not just a way to get around; it's a place to have adventures. This fact has not been lost on the studio behind the Doctor Who adventure games, who have set the third installment within the confines of the Doctor's conveyance.

In the episode, which is called TARDIS, the player must discover why the titular blue box is acting so strangely. There will be monsters to battle and secrets to uncover, and at the end of the game, players will get the chance to pilot the TARDIS for themselves. Doctor Who lead writer Steven Moffat said that the game was a "brilliant adventure" and that it was everything a good episode of the show should be.

For those in the UK, TARDIS will be available as a free download from the BBC website [http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/news/bulletin_100820_01] on August 27th. Those outside the UK will able to purchase it on the same day.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-20-third-doctor-who-game-revealed]

Apr 28, 2008
How are these games anyway? Were the first 2 any good?

EDIT: Well it seems they're good. Thanks everyone!

And is it me or is the Doctor's face in that screenshot really, really creepy?

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I didn't even know when they released the first game.....also these games just make the new doctor even uglier, bring back David....or get a handsomer doctor

Blame

May 30, 2009
They're fairly terrible. Bad controls make what is basically a stealth game very difficult indeed. And not difficult in a good way.

On the otherhand they are free. Although us Brits are paying the license fee so these games could be made. You Yanks can get them for free.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Honestly the way these games look are off putting. The only way I could see a Doctor Who game work, was if it were a point and click adventure. From what I've seen of them so far they aren't very good.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Irridium said:
For a free game, deffinitly. They basically play a little like the old point and click adventure games. I wouldn't play money for it but they're worth a few hours of your time.

OT: So are they planning to reveal why the TARDIS was being such a ***** at the end of the last episode then? Because that was pretty cheap to not tie up that loose end.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I have nothing against "Doctor Who" though it's one of the few big science fiction franchises I've never been able to get into, despite some neat ideas.

I find it kind of amusing that the BBC is releasing the game free in the UK, but not as general freeware for the rest of the world. The odds of me ever playing this game and becoming more interested in this series are non-existant. But then again they have such a massive fan base they probably don't much care.

To me the thing that strikes me as standing out about "Doctor Who" is that once they had a guy killed by an inflatable pool chair. I know the series has probably improved after that, but I honestly can't look at the show without that going through my mind, especially when things like Daleks and Cybermen (intentionally) radiate cheese of the most intense kind even now. :p

DragonsAteMyMarbles

You matter in this world. Smile!
Feb 22, 2009
Irridium said:
I thought so. Not particularly difficult, but then again they have to be easy enough for the slightly-younger generation to have a decent go. Only real problem is that Matt Smith didn't really seem to be trying very hard with his voice work.

This new one looks really interesting. It'll be nice to see different bits of the TARDIS, for a change.
I wonder if Rory will be in this one?

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Irridium said:

Yes and Yes.

Graphics limitations and freeness do that unfortunately.

SomeBritishDude said:
Irridium said:
For a free game, deffinitly. They basically play a little like the old point and click adventure games. I wouldn't play money for it but they're worth a few hours of your time.

OT: So are they planning to reveal why the TARDIS was being such a ***** at the end of the last episode then? Because that was pretty cheap to not tie up that loose end.
I doubt it, they will probably drag that over series 6!

EDIT: Wait, do you mean last episode of series 5, or the previous Adventure games episode?

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
While the first two were not the best games in the world, I'm still gonna get this. I love Doctor Who.

Apr 28, 2008
SomeBritishDude said:
Irridium said:
DragonsAteMyMarbles said:
Irridium said:
I thought so. Not particularly difficult, but then again they have to be easy enough for the slightly-younger generation to have a decent go. Only real problem is that Matt Smith didn't really seem to be trying very hard with his voice work.
TimeLord said:
Irridium said:

Yes and Yes.

Graphics limitations and freeness do that unfortunately.
Well alright then. Guess I'll give them a looksie.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
I wonder if someone in the UK could download the game and email the installer to someone outside the UK and have it still work?
Yay Doctor Who games!
I feel I should re-watch the 5th season, just to get used to Matt Smith. Oh DT how I miss you

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
megapenguinx said:
I wonder if someone in the UK could download the game and email the installer to someone outside the UK and have it still work?
Yay Doctor Who games!
I feel I should re-watch the 5th season, just to get used to Matt Smith. Oh DT how I miss you
You're supposed to pay Direct 2 Drive $5 for the first two, but still...

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Delusibeta said:
megapenguinx said:
Yay Doctor Who games!
You're supposed to pay Direct 2 Drive $5 for the first two, but still...
Also, I believe the installer connects to the net to check where you're installing from.

Avayu

Apr 15, 2009
Therumancer said:
I find it kind of amusing that the BBC is releasing the game free in the UK, but not as general freeware for the rest of the world. The odds of me ever playing this game and becoming more interested in this series are non-existant. But then again they have such a massive fan base they probably don't much care.
I think that is because the BBC is funded by the British taxpayers. So every Brit has already paid for those games.

I think it's cool that they made those games. I'll most likely never play them, but I like Doctor Who and I like the idea that they made some episodes into games even more.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Oh, this will be so awesome! There already exists a canonical floor-plan of the TARDIS, maybe not a physical copy (I think) but at least in the creators' minds, that details how the TARDIS is laid out inside. And plenty of the descriptions of the inside, as heard in the new series (from Eccleston through to the present), are references to the original ideas (in fact, aside from the Wardrobe Room, the only room seen so far is the Console Room, whereas in the original series action took place everywhere, from the TARDIS's own Eye of Harmony to the Library to all sorts of places inside - admittedly, a lot of the places do shift around whenever the TARDIS interior is restored, as at the end of Tennant's reign...).

Anyway, TARDIS schematics and jargon aside, I look forward heartily to this new installment, and can't wait to see the inside of the steampunk TARDIS outside of the Console Room :D.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
The first 2 have been pretty fun so far, so Im expecting the 3rd one should hopefully keep that track going!

Alzabane

May 30, 2009
SomeBritishDude said:
Irridium said:

they are goin to answer that in series 6 along with who are the silence and who is river song

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Blame said:
They're fairly terrible. Bad controls make what is basically a stealth game very difficult indeed. And not difficult in a good way.

On the otherhand they are free. Although us Brits are paying the license fee so these games could be made. You Yanks can get them for free.
No, we can't get them for free not legally anyway. I've been fairly pissed off about that fact mainly because I don't see why the UK fans don't have to pay but everyone else does.