Beast races and you

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Just waiting for a game set in Elswyr. All the walking on warm sands.
Night_S1ash said:
Googenstien said:
Orcs live where they want and do what they want.. clearly they are the superior race in TES...plus they are horrible overpowered.. haha
Orcs aren't beast race right?
They're Mer. I think Malacath was involved in cursing some Aldmer or something.

Night_S1ash

Feb 6, 2011
Hopefully the DLC will add some, warmer places. While skyrim is vast and awesome, there is too much snow Imo. I know it makes sense, I just wish the area was more, versatile. Maybe the DLC could be in Elsweyr.

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
theemporer said:
Night_S1ash said:
Googenstien said:
Orcs live where they want and do what they want.. clearly they are the superior race in TES...plus they are horrible overpowered.. haha
They're elves... apparently.
Elves are pretty much the best at everything, aren't they?

Best Pure Mage: Altmer
Best Pure Warrior: Orsimer
Best Pure Stealth: Bosmer
Best Blender: Dunmer

OT: It makes sense that there's not many Khajiit or Argonians in Skyrim, but I agree, it is a bit of a shame. Especially since they look so cool now.

Perhaps the DLC will be another plane of Oblivion, or another region, where beast races will be more plentiful. A lot of stuff's been happening in the Black Marsh lately, and that province would probably be a better expansion than main setting.

Substitute Troll

Aug 29, 2010
I'd rather have more humans and elves than khajiit to be honest. I know there aren't a lot of them in Skyirm, but there's several good reasons for that. Besides, imagine when we get a game about Elsweyr and we realize there are nearly no humans at all. Enjoy the nords while they last, the khajiit will get their turn.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I'm glad you're discovering your hidden furry side...

The reason there aren't many beast races is similar to the reason you didn't find many black people in 13th century Norway - THEY LIVED HALFAWAY AROUND THE WORLD! Seriously, go look up a map of Tamriel. Skyrim is all the way up north, while Elsweyr (where Khajiit live) and Black Marsh (where Argonians live) are at the southern end of the continent. Add to this that the beast races tend to stick together for the most part (what with all the racism) and you can see why there aren't that many of them all the way up in Skyrim. There aren't many Elves either, aside from the Thalmor.

Seriously, if the DID put in more Khajiit and Argonians, it wouldn't make much sense...

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
I doubt a full "catgame" in Elswyr will be featured. People need to relate to humans after all.
Can't understand and don't know why so many people in the Escapists are Pony- and Catlovers.

I - for one - think it's a pity you can't "harvest" a Khajiit pelt and craft some armor out of it, or even some Argonian Leather boots - would make killing them more macabre...

Anyway, most of the Khajiit I encounter are as annoying as their feline cousins in real life. And those feral Khajiit Sabercats are a real nuissance as well.

I will probably sacrifice J'zargo to Boethia because he is the most annoying follower and most obnoxious Khajiit so far, I won't miss him one bit.

I rather have more Orcs, Red Guards and especially Thalmor, the latter making excellent Target practice. On the other hand if there will be DLC in Elswyr I finally can play the game like some random Ego-shooter and get rid of the furry pests. Vermin-Control Genocide style...

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
As everyone stated, it's a Lore thing and very understandable. It just makes the few you do run into a bit more memorable.

DLC-wise I'm hoping we get more about the Thalmor and/or the Vigilant of Stendarr. I'd like to join both (But not at the same time!).

Mar 30, 2010
Night_S1ash said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Night_S1ash said:
So I've been playing Skyrim, and I've noticed a few things, but the thing that bugs me the most is the beast races. I just started my second account as a Khajiit and I joined the Dark brotherhood. When I found out about the contract to kill the Khajiit trader I realised how small an amount of the populous is either of the beast races. This annoyed me. Mainly because they are the more original and interesting races, whereas we have a fair few fantasy stories with elves, we have hardly any with anything like the Khajiit.

I think to fix the problem of a major lack of these races the DLC should be fairly heavy on them, maybe a series of isles to the north where beast races live in solitude.
My question to you is what do you think of this 'problem', how it should be combated and finally on a side note, what you think the DLC will be.
Read a little of the lore on the Great War. In Morrowind and Oblivion all the races were living equally under the Empire. When the Aldmeri Dominion (Summerset Isle) declared war on the Empire Morrowind had been devastated by Baar Dau and was conquered by Black Marsh, Valenwood had been conquered by the Thalmor, Elswyr had willingly gone over to the Dominion, etc etc etc.

Basically the reason there are so few beast races and elven races in Skyrim is because the Empire (which now only consists of Cyrodiil, High Rock and Skyrim) had been at war with the Dominion. Therefore members of said races were not welcome inside Imperial borders.
I thought Khajiit were slaves? I will have a read though, catch up on some lore

Edit: Slaves in Morrowind
Yup, you got it. When the Dunmer reached a peace treaty with the Empire they were allowed to keep certain rights of governance which included the slavery of beast races even though in the rest of the Empire slavery was illegal (a hot topic in Morrowind). But in Skyrim, Elswyr had willingly submitted to the Dominion and split into two seperate nation states:

"In 4E 98, the two moons, Masser and Secunda vanished. Within most of the Empire, this was viewed with trepidation and fear. In Elsweyr it was far worse. Culturally the moons are much more influential to the Khajiit. After two years of the Void Nights, the moons returned. The Thalmor announced that they had restored the moons using previously unknown Dawn Magicks, but it is unclear if they truly restored the moons or just took advantage of foreknowledge that they would return.
Regardless of the truth of the matter, the Khajiit credited the Thalmor as their saviors. Within fifteen years, Imperial influence in Elsweyr had so diminished that the Empire was unable to respond effectively to the coup of 4E 115 which dissolved the Elsweyr Confederacy and recreated the ancient kingdoms of Anequina and Pelletine as client states of the Aldmeri Dominion."

The Khajiiti now enthusiastically serve the Thalmor, and in Skyrim if your character ever runs foul of the Dominion the assassins sent after you will most likely be Khajiit.

God, I'm such a nerd...

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
"Hazhir pokes his head in*

Where da Nord women at?!

Although I too think it's a bit of a shame there are so few Khajiit present in Skyrim, it does make sense. They're not very welcome, and beyond traders, profiteers, thieves and other irregulars with nowhere else to go but north, I doubt anyone would want to leave warm Elsweyr for freezing Skyrim.

Plus, it makes my own character stand out a bit. Espescially since he's Dragonborn, which I'm sure is more than irritating to some of the Nords... >:3

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
Jandau said:
The reason there aren't many beast races is similar to the reason you didn't find many black people in 13th century Norway - THEY LIVED HALFAWAY AROUND THE WORLD!
I don't think that particular argument holds up. I remember there being quite a few Khajit in Morrowind and the province is now said to be occupied by Argonians...

But yeah, if Skyrim's cold, wartorn and full of racists, I guess there's little reason for the beasties to hang around.

Smithburg

May 21, 2009
Freaky Lou said:
theemporer said:
Night_S1ash said:
Googenstien said:

OT: It makes sense that there's not many Khajiit or Argonians in Skyrim, but I agree, it is a bit of a shame. Especially since they look so cool now.

Perhaps the DLC will be another plane of Oblivion, or another region, where beast races will be more plentiful. A lot of stuff's been happening in the Black Marsh lately, and that province would probably be a better expansion than main setting.
I think they could probably do a main game that had black marsh, valenwood and elsweyr. Theyre all kinda small. Also those are the three most interesting sounding places now that they did morrowind(to me at least)

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
plugav said:
Jandau said:
The reason there aren't many beast races is similar to the reason you didn't find many black people in 13th century Norway - THEY LIVED HALFAWAY AROUND THE WORLD!
I don't think that particular argument holds up. I remember there being quite a few Khajit in Morrowind and the province is now said to be occupied by Argonians...

But yeah, if Skyrim's cold, wartorn and full of racists, I guess there's little reason for the beasties to hang around.
Well, Morrowind is full of Argonians now because they went ahead and conquered it, what with most of it being ravaged my a volcanic eruption and most of the government in disarray. And I don't really remember there being THAT much more Khajiit and Argonians in Morrowind (the game) than in Skyrim (the game). Finally, as you yourself noticed, Skyrim isn't really welcoming to non-humans. Heck, it's not very welcoming to non-Nord humans these days either...

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
Smithburg said:
I think they could probably do a main game that had black marsh, valenwood and elsweyr. Theyre all kinda small. Also those are the three most interesting sounding places now that they did morrowind(to me at least)
They'd obviously have to think of some story hook to name the game after though, like they did with Oblivion. "Dominion" might work. Elsewyr, Black Marsh, and Valenwood are all connected and all very exotic, while providing very different environments, so this could be a great idea.

Googenstien

Jul 6, 2010
Freaky Lou said:
theemporer said:
Night_S1ash said:
Googenstien said:

No shit.. cool tho, I never realy dug into the lore all that much. At least they arent from fucking mud/earth like in Lord of the Rings.. haha.

Night_S1ash

Feb 6, 2011
Freaky Lou said:
Smithburg said:
They'd obviously have to think of some story hook to name the game after though, like they did with Oblivion. "Dominion" might work. Elsewyr, Black Marsh, and Valenwood are all connected and all very exotic, while providing very different environments, so this could be a great idea.
Totally agree, and It wouldn't need to run on a different engine or anything, just make that world in the Skyrim engine.

Psychedelic Spartan

Sep 15, 2011
Zhukov said:
Don't Khajits come from a desert or something? I imagine Skyrim isn't exactly their cup of tea.

Not sure about Argonians, but I'm glad there aren't many around, they look ridiculous.
No they don't Argonians are awesome, I'm playing as one. But to tell the truth, I think that they're not there just because the Nords are racist.

Kraj

Jan 21, 2008
Ohmydearchristreally?
It's a question of being faithful to the preset lore and ALSO about Aesthetic.
Think about this: If every Khajit and Argonian you meet is telling you how far from home and distrusted or hated they are up here in the lonely harsh unforgiving frozen north, then WHY would they be of anywhere near equivalent population demographic?
The Aesthetic and Immersive quality to it is genius, take these two alien races and highlight them not only in lore, but actual gameplay mechanic. You stand up and take NOTICE when you see a few random Khajit traders wandering around the fringes of "civilized" society, polite but wary as your character skirts past them. You stop and gawk when you see an argonian because it's a rarity!

I understand wanting to see them more, but finding any problem at all with the game supporting its own lore confuses me... "Nor would I want it any other way"