Beast races and you

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
Yeah there really is a serious lack of Khajiit npcs. There are a few argonians scattered about in towns but the Khajiit really are only seen in caravans. Another thing I've noticed is that its really difficult to tell between Nord, imperial and breton. In previous games, they all had their own voice actor so it was easy. Now that the two or three voice actors do all of the races, it's become damn near impossible.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
I don't know if you noticed during the opening, but Skyrim isn't exactly all that friendly to immigrants.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Mainly because they're in the Nord homeland and everyone else there was a foreigner, truth be told I was surprised that I saw as many as I did. Saying that there isn't enough is like setting a game in Great Britain and complaining that there aren't enough french, germans, italians, or asians.

Night_S1ash

Feb 6, 2011
Kraj said:
Ohmydearchristreally?
It's a question of being faithful to the preset lore and ALSO about Aesthetic.
Think about this: If every Khajit and Argonian you meet is telling you how far from home and distrusted or hated they are up here in the lonely harsh unforgiving frozen north, then WHY would they be of anywhere near equivalent population demographic?
The Aesthetic and Immersive quality to it is genius, take these two alien races and highlight them not only in lore, but actual gameplay mechanic. You stand up and take NOTICE when you see a few random Khajit traders wandering around the fringes of "civilized" society, polite but wary as your character skirts past them. You stop and gawk when you see an argonian because it's a rarity!

I understand wanting to see them more, but finding any problem at all with the game supporting its own lore confuses me... "Nor would I want it any other way"
I understand this, but there is still a fairly tiny amount with that taken into account. There is maybe 14 Khajiit max in skyrim, and I personally think even with the lore elements taken into account there is room for maybe 10 more. A few examples, Dark brotherhood would take them, so would thieves guild and obviously the College or winterhold has no problem with it. Maybe even the companions would take one or two in.
On a side note I would like to mention the small amounts of Khajiit and Argonians in skyrim are some of the most memorable characters in the game.

MajorTomServo

Jan 31, 2011
Im a argonian cause I love the quick health regeneration and water breathing. At least, thats what I tell people. The real reason is so I can yell "I AM THE LIZARD KING!" when I kill someone in an especially epic way.

But anyway, Im kinda glad theyre rare. When I see other ones, I feel like we have a special bond. Thats why all the argonian kids sit together in the lunch room I guess.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
theemporer said:
Night_S1ash said:
Googenstien said:
Orcs live where they want and do what they want.. clearly they are the superior race in TES...plus they are horrible overpowered.. haha
Orcs aren't beast race right?
They're elves... apparently.

OT: I would be happy if we had a few more Khajit, if only so there could be one to marry...
There is no "apparently" about it. They are elves, as are Dwarves and Falmer. Anything with the "Mer" suffix is an Elf.

The reason Orcs look as the do is a very interesting story, you can find out about it in-game and on the internet.

Ethan Asia

Aug 22, 2011
I like the Argonians and Kajhit. Mainly because of their tails that poke out of their clothes. It looks so ridiculous, but it makes me smile.

I also like how the Kahjit come from Elsewher- sorry, Elswyr. Bet that was an all-night brainstorm. Which I suppose is why we don't see them. They're elsewhere.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Couldnt have that, the general geography of Nirn (The world in which the Elder Scrolls series is set) is already known with 5 continents all in all. Akavir, Aldmeri, Atmora Tamriel and Yokuda.

Atmora is the continent north of Tamriel and therefore north of Skyrim, and Atmora is the home of the original race of men... the Nedes. Given that the Beast races live in the South/South-East of Tamriel and the continent of Akavir which is full of Beast races is 4,000 miles East of Tamriel, we can conclude that there are no islands full of Beast races to the North of Skyrim.

Now, to the point of low numbers of Beast races in Skyrim. Its the complete opposite environment to that which they are used to and on the opposite side of Tamriel, theres a reason that you only see Khajiit traders and criminals in Skyrim. That being they dont like the cold, Moon Sugar is illegal there and they dont understand the concept of private ownership. Oh... and they would be surrounded by people who, at the very least, dont trust them and at most hate them. Lets not forget, the reason the Beast races are so abundant in other countries of Tamriel is that they were slaves. Be honest, can you remember a single Khajiit or Argonian who held any high position in Oblivion? Morrowind? I'll stop there, I am guessing most people havent played earlier than that.

M'aiq the Liar is the most famous Khajiit and for good reason, hes awesome and he embodies everything that the Khajiit are. Fast, smart... and brilliant at keeping secrets or "lying" as it were.

And I will end with a quote: "M'aiq wishes he had a stick made out of fishies to give to you. Sadly, he does not." - M'aiq the Liar.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Wayneguard said:
Yeah there really is a serious lack of Khajiit npcs. There are a few argonians scattered about in towns but the Khajiit really are only seen in caravans. Another thing I've noticed is that its really difficult to tell between Nord, imperial and breton. In previous games, they all had their own voice actor so it was easy. Now that the two or three voice actors do all of the races, it's become damn near impossible.
Well... yeah. The only difference between them is the country, except for the Bretons who are half Elf. The main difference between them is cultural as is shown in their different war paints, have you seen the Breton-specific war paints? Clearly the best... Oh and Bretons generally have a smaller frame and lighter facial features.

Night_S1ash

Feb 6, 2011
Kinguendo said:
theemporer said:
Night_S1ash said:
Googenstien said:
Orcs live where they want and do what they want.. clearly they are the superior race in TES...plus they are horrible overpowered.. haha

OT: I would be happy if we had a few more Khajit, if only so there could be one to marry...
There is no "apparently" about it. They are elves, as are Dwarves and Falmer. Anything with the "Mer" suffix is an Elf.

The reason Orcs look as the do is a very interesting story, you can find out about it in-game and on the internet.
Really? Can we get a link?

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Night_S1ash said:
Kinguendo said:
theemporer said:
Night_S1ash said:
Googenstien said:

The story of Trinimac, the original of the Changed Folk: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Trinimac

Night_S1ash

Feb 6, 2011
Kinguendo said:
Night_S1ash said:
Kinguendo said:
theemporer said:
Night_S1ash said:
Googenstien said:

The story of Trinimac, the original of the Changed Folk: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Trinimac
Woah, That's pretty messed up.