Beautiful, Weird, Sucker Punch Animated Short Appears Online

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Beautiful, Weird, Sucker Punch Animated Short Appears Online

Zombies and robots and machine guns ... Oh, my.

The buzz out of Hollywood about Zack Snyder's next film, Sucker Punch, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.265209-Rumor-Zack-Snyders-Next-Movies-Have-Some-Big-Problems>hasn't been all that great, but the movie is still has a lot of marketing power behind it. Case in point: a new animated short called "The Trenches" has been released on the Web.

As you can see, the short is gorgeous and haunting, but it doesn't really make a lot of sense until one reads the official synopsis:

In Sucker Punch, the girls face off against an army of mechanized WWI soldiers. Through the use of clockwork and steam technology, human soldiers who die in battle are reanimated and sent back to the front lines. Although seemingly indistinguishable and soulless, the zombie army is not just made of gears and steam, but also of human flesh, bone, and memory. In "The Trenches" there is a tragic tale behind each lifeless mask.

There are still things here that don't make sense, like who/what are the zombie army fighting for? Also, are the girls in the movie on no one's side? Oh, and why do zombie soldiers look like they're low-rent versions of the <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Killzone-3-Playstation/dp/B002I0K6DG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300218199&sr=8-1>Helghast? I guess we'll just have to wait until the movie's theatrical release next week to find out the answers.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
It looks like a Zack Snyder movie. I'll probably end up seeing it though.

Little angry critic note*If Zack Snyder puts another damn slow-mo sex scene, I'm going to take a little ride to Hollywood with a flamethrower.

knhirt

Nov 9, 2009
This looks great. I'm looking forward to the movie.
I hope there will be a lot of animated sections.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Makes me think of the Combine Soliders. Each one is a human being, for all intents and purposes in mind, killed and destroyed, nothing remaining of their former life, memory or anything. But their body, it isn't their own any more.
[img_inline caption="I used to cry at night for all my friends that
the Combine killed. But now I see that they were the ones who were
doing evil, after Our Benefactors taught me the true way."]http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090527202939/half-life/en/images/thumb/0/03/Stripped_combine_soldier.jpg/213px-Stripped_combine_soldier.jpg[/img_inline]

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
The whole Helghast look was originally based off of the Germans from WWI. The German forces wore Gasmasks during the trench battles because they were one of the first armies to employ Chlorine Gas as a weapon, the gas killed large amounts of Allied soldiers before the Allies were even able to manufacture their own masks. Most allied troops would instead wrap Urine soaked socks or cloth around their nose and mouth to keep the gas from entering their lungs.

SuckerPunch appears to be making the Robo-Zombie soldiers appear like German creations. They wear gasmasks (Which could be used for allowing them to breath, as it is stated that they are technically still alive yet mixed with machine), and the Traditional Trench coats that were used by German officers and soldiers in the winter to help protect against weather conditions aswell as to inspire fear or dread in those who knew what the coat was associated with.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Whilst watching that I listend to Celo Green, it was gloriously incongrouos.

Side note, was Ben Templesmith involved in making that short? It had a very Thirty days of night-ish look about it.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
When I saw the PG-13 rating for Sucker Punch at the end of that trailer, my hopes sank a little bit.

Blood and Gore removed to appeal to a wider audience.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
I do believe that was an Inception BRRRRRRRM at the end then. Almost.
Also, nice ideas.

anian

Sep 10, 2008
SteewpidZombie said:
The whole Helghast look was originally based off of the Germans from WWI. The German forces wore Gasmasks during the trench battles because they were one of the first armies to employ Chlorine Gas as a weapon, the gas killed large amounts of Allied soldiers before the Allies were even able to manufacture their own masks. Most allied troops would instead wrap Urine soaked socks or cloth around their nose and mouth to keep the gas from entering their lungs.

SuckerPunch appears to be making the Robo-Zombie soldiers appear like German creations. They wear gasmasks (Which could be used for allowing them to breath, as it is stated that they are technically still alive yet mixed with machine), and the Traditional Trench coats that were used by German officers and soldiers in the winter to help protect against weather conditions aswell as to inspire fear or dread in those who knew what the coat was associated with.
In less words, Helghast were a heavily "copied" version of WWI soldiers, but at least in Suckerpunch they're supposed to be WWI soldiers and not some future tech army.
And it's kind of sad if Vansau, and probably other people, thought they were original designs, I mean both Hel and these soldiers are at least a copy of Starwars troopers. You could go at least that much back in history.

And yeah, conforming to PG13 ratings, kind of makes me sad. I want at least Watchmen level of adult oriented entertainment.

Cool Welshy

Mar 15, 2011
Not a bad animation. I'm just happy that there is a steam-punk movie coming out. I tend to enjoy those.

The Real Sandman

Oct 12, 2009
Random Argument Man said:
Little angry critic note*If Zack Snyder puts another damn slow-mo sex scene, I'm going to take a little ride to Hollywood with a flamethrower.
Well its rated PG-13, so that's more than likely not gonna happen.

Then again, the True Grit remake was also rated PG-13 and it showed a guy getting his brains splattered on a wall after he lobbed off some dude's fingers...

o___o'

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
anian said:
SteewpidZombie said:

In less words, Helghast were a heavily "copied" version of WWI soldiers, but at least in Suckerpunch they're supposed to be WWI soldiers and not some future tech army.
And it's kind of sad if Vansau, and probably other people, thought they were original designs, I mean both Hel and these soldiers are at least a copy of Starwars troopers. You could go at least that much back in history.

And yeah, conforming to PG13 ratings, kind of makes me sad. I want at least Watchmen level of adult oriented entertainment.
Yeah, every 'Gasmask' or 'Trench Coat' design EVER made ANYWHERE is based off the Germans of WWI and WWII. (On a historical note, the Germans had a VERY unique gasmask design compared to anyone else, virtually every gasmask in popular media is based off of that design. Which is what leads the assumption that the Robo-Zombies are Nazi's or a symbolic image of a Nazi'Esque force. (Since the Nazi's also stood for 'Oppression and Conversion', it could be guessed that the 'Robo-Zombies' are how the girls view the other people in the asylum. They see them all as humans who've been transformed into machines with no will, and are being controlled by a oppressive Nazi type power).

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
Pretty horrific philosophy if you think about it, almost like an endless hell on earth.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
The normal trailor was weird and random looking. This one adds disturbing to that list. Seriously that movie just eludes me.