Beauty and the Beast - Time to Crush a Rose

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Beauty and the Beast - Time to Crush a Rose

2017's Beauty and the Beast only serves to remind us of how great the 1991 version is.

Read Full Article

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Sad to hear Emma Watson wasn't up to snuff. She was the only reason I would watch the movie

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
The screenshots were laughable. They could've at least put some sort of unique spin on it, modernise it, jazz it up, make everybody wear pirate hats. Anything...Not straight up rip the whole thing from the original cartoon. Still, be our guest is my sole memory of the original that could be described as pleasant. So there's that.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
Was there any other reason to put Emma Watson in here other than to make the male audience to see it? Of all Disney remakes, this one seems to be targeted more at older audiences while Cinderella targeted the kids and their parents, so why not cast many adults' crush while growing up: Hermione Granger. I kid you not, in the first trailer, we see her holding a small twig as if it was a wand, maybe I'm hardwired to expect such thing, but it really stood out to me, more than it probably should. That's the theory anyway.

Also 40 extra minutes, but the history is roughly the same? Cinderella and Jungle Book managed to develop some character and adress some plot points of the original with the extra runtimes, they could at least have Belle, as the nerd she is, pick up a psychology book and read out loud the difference between Stockholm and Lima Syndromes.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
But... But Gaston! What about Gaston?! Is he as entertaining as he always was?!

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Mister K said:
It's Luke Evans, so he'll be swarthy and Welsh and scowl a lot. I very much doubt he'll match the animated version's oafishness, Luke Evans simply isn't that well animated.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Igor-Rowan said:
Was there any other reason to put Emma Watson in here other than to make the male audience to see it?
I sometimes wonder where I was when fairies were sprinkling dust over everyone to make them fall in love with Emma Watson. Her popularity baffles me.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Mister K said:
Luke Evans doesn't sway like Gaston, doesn't ***** like Gaston, in the movie he doesn't have charisma like Gaston.

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Igor-Rowan said:
Was there any other reason to put Emma Watson in here other than to make the male audience to see it?
I sometimes wonder where I was when fairies were sprinkling dust over everyone to make them fall in love with Emma Watson. Her popularity baffles me.
It?s the whole nerdy girl turned beauty shtick that is popularized by romcoms and sitcoms. Plus, a number of current day teens and young adults grew up with her with Harry Potter.

shadowstriker86

Feb 12, 2009
*Bottom Line: Slightly better than a disaster, the new Beauty and the Beast does not even come close to living up to the THEATRICAL 1991 version*

Fixed that for you, cause the "special" edition is just that, an edition that belongs nowhere but the short bus. Of course trying to find a non-special edition copy of beauty and the beast is about as difficult as trying to find the recipe for cold fusion

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
InsanityRequiem said:
Casual Shinji said:
It?s the whole nerdy girl turned beauty shtick that is popularized by romcoms and sitcoms. Plus, a number of current day teens and young adults grew up with her with Harry Potter.
Yeah, but you'd have to be, like, beautiful for that, right?

I'm not trying to come across like a dick who only values appearances, but the way Emma Watson gets presented like she's this mezmerizing vision of beauty just really makes me scratch my head. They tried to do the same with Daniel Radcliffe, making him out to be this hunk, and... no sorry, just no.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
They are gonna continue it, and according to Wikipedia they are gonna make live action films for:

Mulan
Aladdin
Don Quijote?
Dumbo
Peter Pan
Pinnochio
Snow White
The Lion King
Little Mermaid
And.....Night on Bald fuckin MOUNTAIN?! They are gonna live action this?

I am not kidding this is what it says in the Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Walt_Disney_Pictures_films#2010s

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
They are gonna continue it, and according to Wikipedia they are gonna make live action films for:

Mulan
Aladdin
Don Quijote?
Dumbo
Peter Pan
Pinnochio
Snow White
The Lion King
Little Mermaid
And.....Night on Bald fuckin MOUNTAIN?! They are gonna live action this?

Wait, they're gonna try to make Don Quixote a Live Action film? I've heard Don Quixote is one of the hardest Books to turn into a Film, and it was so problematic that even Walt Disney realized he couldn't make a film out of it.

Still, I didn't know they were gonna turn Night on Bald Mountain into an individual movie. That could be really cool! Then again, it could also suck really bad.

Aladdin, Dumbo (which will be directed by Tim Burton(!)) and The Lion King live action ones have been known for a while (at least I Knew of them). Also looking at this list, there are actually some cooler remakes coming along, like another Chronicles of Prydain movie (IE, a Live Action Version of The Black Cauldron), a Live Action Kiki's Delivery Service, a Live Action Chip and Dale Movie, a new James and the Giant Peach Film, National Treasure 3 (Because Nicholas Cage needs the Money and Reputation), and a whole bunch more.

... They're also making a freakin' It's a Small World movie and a sequel to Sky High (The Super Hero High School Movie).

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
Casual Shinji said:
Well, her story in the HP movies certainly helps it. She is extremely smart and talented, along with pretty (by kids' standards anyway) and then in the fourth movie she gets her "Ugly Duckling turning swan moment". Couple that with a british accent, that somehow adds to that impression and she'll get the eyes of men who saw her growing up as a kid and will follow her anywhere.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
As long as it is still true that in a wrestling match nobody bites like Gaston!

He made that film. It still vexxes me that in a film where a rage monster kidnaps and holds prisoner a townsperson that the guy rescuing her is the villain.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Can we all finally admit to ourselves that Emma Watson really isn't that good of an actress? I mean, I've seen worse, but she really is bland in all the roles I've seen her in.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Disney should stick to making stage adaptations like they did with The Lion King. It's far more engaging experiencing performers live and in person than watching a sterilized celluloid version.

Casual Shinji said:
InsanityRequiem said:
Casual Shinji said:

I'm not trying to come across like a dick who only values appearances, but the way Emma Watson gets presented like she's this mezmerizing vision of beauty just really makes me scratch my head. They tried to do the same with Daniel Radcliffe, making him out to be this hunk, and... no sorry, just no.
Same. Watson's never done much for me. She's certainly not ugly, but she doesn't possess any physical quality I find particularly attractive either. It doesn't help that she sports the mildly irritating "Dreamworks smirk" in 90% of all her publicity shots.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Igor-Rowan said:
Is it really just males that like Emma Watson? I mean, people more easily relate people that reminds them of themselves, and she played the most prominent female character in a series of 8 movies. So yes, there is another reason to put her in the role: to make the female audience go see it. Besides, her earlier role was a bookworm in a fantasy setting, she has the experience.

---

Incidentally, might I recommend a review/comparison video between the 1991 film and an earlier French adaptation of the same fairy tale? I do this because I think it is a genuinely good and informative series of videos that expanded my horizons.

It's by one of the former ThatGuyWithTheGlasses guys, just so you know what overall vibe you can expect. And it's over an hour, split in three parts.

https://youtu.be/YWgt9DCTqI0

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Am I the only person who sees this version of the Beast and immediately things of Pan's Labyrinth? I expect him to start speaking Spanish and lead Belle down a hole. There's a reason why some things just work better in animation, I get that the best is supposed to look monstrous but not... horrific.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
InsanityRequiem said:
Casual Shinji said:

I try not to be "that guy", but as someone who quite frankly does find Emma Watson beautiful, I guess there's no accounting for personal taste, eh?