Become "El Presidente" in Tropico 4

gregoryg

Mad Scientist
Jul 13, 2010
Become "El Presidente" in Tropico 4

Grab your cigar and mix a pina colada; Tropico 4 is your chance to rule over a tropical paradise.

With an endless supply of cigars and an island paradise all of his own, Fidel Castro had quite the life back in the day. It's almost enough to make one jealous, but alas, there are so few tropical republics up for grabs these days. Fortunately for me (and for would-be dictators worldwide), Haemimont Games has filled that gap quite nicely with its Tropico series. The fourth game in the simulation series, announced today, looks like it will continue that tradition, expanding on last year's Tropico 3 in a number of significant ways.

The Tropico games place players in the role of "El Presidente," the self-appointed ruler of the Caribbean island of Tropico. As dictator, you exercise control over all aspects of your island, from construction projects to economic structure. You must also find ways to efficiently deal with weather disasters and the machinations of rivals political factions. Picture Sim City mixed with a tongue-in-cheek satire of the Cold War era and you're on the right track.

Tropico 4 packs in a new twenty-mission campaign spread over ten maps. Players will be able to construct twenty new buildings, such as shopping malls, a water park, and a stock exchange. You'll also have to contend with six new disaster types, including volcanoes, tornadoes, and droughts. On the political side, you will be able to appoint citizens to a "Council of Ministers," who will vote on laws that you propose (or, if you choose them carefully, will enact any edict that you shoot their way).

For players that enjoy sharing their gaming activities with friends, Haemimont is incorporating a number of social networking elements into Tropico 4. Players can share important events, screenshots, and achievements on Twitter or Facebook.

Tropico 4 will be released for the PC during the second quarter of 2011. No console versions have been confirmed at this time, but publisher Kalypso Media hinted in its press release that we would hear more on that soon.

Source: 1Up [http://www.1up.com/news/tropico-4-announced-possibly-consoles]

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
Take the social gaming thing to the next level. Having your Facebook friends on your Council, or even setting up trade economies with their own islands would be great. Sure, you would have to rely on your friends in order for the game to progress, but if they made it so you could update certain aspects of your island through a Facebook app would be awesome.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I dunno, the original Tropico is still far and away my favorite. Hopefully this will impress me.

Tattaglia

Aug 12, 2008
Great, I loved Tropico 3. All I ask is for the DJ to say "Good moooooorniiiiing Tropicoooooo!" a bit less.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
YES! YES! YES!

Holy crap i did not see that coming! 2011, please hurry up and get here!!

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
Looks good, but... it doesn't really sound that different from Tropico 3. Don't get me wrong, I loved Tropico 3, but this looks and sounds more like an expansion pack than a sequel.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Waw, they are developing a 4 already? I haven't even gotten around to playing 3 yet. =(

The original was a underappretiated gem and an excellent management game. Looking forward to what they come up with in the next instalment.

no oneder

Jul 11, 2010
I've never heard of Tropico 1-3, but it sounds like a pretty fun game, and I really don't like city simulators at all.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Loved number 3, tis a great lil game to play when your bored! So, 4 will be as good...or, at least I hope.

Looking forward to seeing more optimisation options with your character though

Deadman Walkin

Jul 17, 2008
I didn't really enjoy the demo for Tropico 3, I found that if I am a dictator and I can do whatever I please, why do I have to satisfy their wants?

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
I really find it hard to enjoy the political humor when I have to memorize hundreds of indicators and pay attention to twenty things at once.

cheftacular

Jan 17, 2009
I'd never heard of Tropico before reading this review, but I think I'll buy it now. It sounds hilarious.

addeB

Oct 2, 2009
I would like a new Pirate themed tropico.
EDIT: Sorry for double posting...

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Already?
Darn i'm still playing tropico 3 so this is a pleasant surprise.

If it were almost any other series i'd rage about being ripped off about them producing a sequel so soon, but this is tropico and i love being el presidente :D