Been watching Moviebob's earliest videos, and already I feel old.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
His first Game Overthinker video

His, as far as I know, earliest movie review as The Moviebob, and its The Happening

And two joke videos riffing on Michael Bay, because Michael Bay was on everyone, geek and normie alike's, shitlist in the internet back in the day.

His Game Overthinker one is interesting though because even in his first video on gaming related things he was complaining things that he complained about back in the late 2000s, specifically the 2007-2008 period.

Too many Military FPS games dominating the AAA games industry, with too many generic military esque white guys.

And look where we are now in gaming today, complaining about the opposite thing, too much "Wokeness" in gaming and film.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
His first Game Overthinker video

His, as far as I know, earliest movie review as The Moviebob, and its The Happening

And two joke videos riffing on Michael Bay, because Michael Bay was on everyone, geek and normie alike's, shitlist in the internet back in the day.

His Game Overthinker one is interesting though because even in his first video on gaming related things he was complaining things that he complained about back in the late 2000s, specifically the 2007-2008 period.

Too many Military FPS games dominating the AAA games industry, with too many generic military esque white guys.

And look where we are now in gaming today, complaining about the opposite thing, too much "Wokeness" in gaming and film.
Michael Bay is still on my shitlist and unlikely to ever get off it if that helps the age realisation sting a little less.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Bob always struck me as someone more enamored of his own opinions on movies (and everything else) than movies themselves. And he was never that insightful, frankly. He disregards any actual filmmaking and focuses exclusively on year-one film school recaps of popcorn movies in smartass comedy slideshows that would only pass for analysis on Youtube. He's borderline illegible in written form. And his extremely narrow interests, coupled with his extreme opinionated-ness, quickly make him into a soundboard parody of himself.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Bob always struck me as someone more enamored of his own opinions on movies (and everything else) than movies themselves. And he was never that insightful, frankly. He disregards any actual filmmaking and focuses exclusively on year-one film school recaps of popcorn movies in smartass comedy slideshows that would only pass for analysis on Youtube. He's borderline illegible in written form. And his extremely narrow interests, coupled with his extreme opinionated-ness, quickly make him into a soundboard parody of himself.
What does not help Bob's case is that either better film critics or analysts came on board YouTube a couple years after him. I would still watch him around that time, but around 2011 was when I realized he is just an opinionated asshole that rarely changes his mind nor self-reflects unless it's convenient for him. I barely saw anything of his on a semi-regular basis after his review in 2014 of the Ninja turtles film made me stop entirely, turn around, and go "Fuck you!".

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014

Although the people complaining the most about the latter didn't complain as much about the former, but, details...

Reactions: Kae

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Prime example of this is his reviews of Transformers 2 Revenge of the Fallen and The Expendables 1, the latter he hates only because it was more successful then Scott Pilgrim vs The World movie.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
What does not help Bob's case is that either better film critics or analysts came on board YouTube a couple years after him. I would still watch them around that time, but around 2011 was when I realized he is just an opinionated asshole that rarely changes his mind or self-reflects unless it's convenient for him. I barely saw any of his on the semi-regular basis after that in his review in 2014 of the Ninja turtles film made me stop entirely. Turn around and go "Fuck you!".
Well... that's not just a Bob problem. Self reflection is not a common skill

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Prime example of this is his reviews of Transformers 2 Revenge of the Fallen and The Expendables 1, the latter he hates only because it was more successful then Scott Pilgrim vs The World movie.
That was really the tipping off point for me when he called people who preferred Expendables over Scott Pilgrim "mindless sheep". So full of it. I like both back then, but you can't even get me to watch Scott Pilgrim anymore. The last time I sat down and watched it was in 2013.

Well... that's not just a Bob problem. Self reflection is not a common skill
Anyone can self reflect on something. They just have put effort in it and not act like a narcissistic douche nor know-nothing-know-it-all. It's not easy, but it ain't that tough. Unless you're a narcissists or someone with a huge head far up their own ass. Then it might take some "skill".

Last edited:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I don't watch his old stuff cause it just makes me sad to see how far he has fallen from then. The "feminism has run out of dragons to slay" golden era moviebob content will never be a thing again and it is tragic. Almost as tragic as EC going to shit after Dan left.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Can you recommend a reviewer that focuses on the "actual filmmaking"? I'm not sure what point you are getting at.
Roger Ebert, Pauline Kael, Peter Travers and Slavoj Zizek are a nice mix of criticism and analysis. Also Andre Bazin, Gilles Deleuze and Tarkovsky for theory.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Can you recommend a reviewer that focuses on the "actual filmmaking"? I'm not sure what point you are getting at.
Double Toasted, CinemaWins, and Rossatron. CinemaSins is not on my list, because he's a whiny little shit that cannot take criticism and hides behind the "it's satire!" excuse.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buyetyen

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
YMS on Youtube is legit one of the best critics on the internet.

OT: I wonder how Bob feels these days about his video on how studios could make their movies into interlinked cinematic universes. I remember he said in that video about the then upcoming Exodus: Gods and Kings that the Ark of the Covenant in that film could be the same one as in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Didn't he get pretty much what he wanted?