Behold The 10,000 Piece Lego Sandcrawler

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Behold The 10,000 Piece Lego Sandcrawler

Lego nerds, the bar has been raised.

When it comes to building original Star Wars vehicles out of Lego bricks, a large-scale replica of the <a href=http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sandcrawler>Jawa Sandcrawler is about as epic as it gets. That said, this monster really takes the cake. Not only is it pretty massive, but it's got a crazy amount of detail and a number of powered parts.

According to YouTube user MarshalBanana83, the Sandcrawler is 96 cm long (actually, 100.5 cm when the main ramp's been lowered). Not only that, but it took over nine months of planning and building to complete with more than 10,000 Lego bricks. The interior features three full floors, a detailed cockpit (accessible via a removable roof), two working cranes, and a lighted smelter.

Unfortunately, MarshalBanana83 doesn't have any other Lego creations on display via his YouTube channel. Hopefully this will change in the future, because it's pretty obvious that the guy's got some serious talent.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
*wipes tear from eye* that is beautiful...

Seriously i hope he creates more stuff...AT-AT anyone? hell even a Super Star Destroyer or Death Star!

ScoopMeister

Mar 12, 2011
Wow... I don't know whether I should laugh or just sit here with my mouth hanging open in wonderment. This is. incredible. I don't think that I'd have the patience to do something like this, even if I was so inclined and knew how.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
well hot damn! i do enjoy seeing creations such as this. i love how the internet has given people with this kind of talent the opportunity to show themselves

jack583

Oct 26, 2010
so...
semi truck
replica of the worlds first computer
sandcrawler

f*** yeah folks

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
halo3rulzer said:
Next, 1:1 scale model of the DEATH STAR! With real functioning superlazer!
Well if we are going down that road...A Star Forge that can create endless amounts of Lego Robots =3

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
halo3rulzer said:
Why stop there!? Make a 1:1 scale model of the UNIVERSE!
Seriously, though, this is amazing.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
Wow...suddenly everything I've ever made with Lego seems inferior.

Pah. Screw that - I'm perfectly happy with my multicoloured-irregular-dodecahedron-shaped-roofless-base!

Seriously though, very impressive. The things that some people do with Lego is incredible.

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
EternalFacepalm said:
halo3rulzer said:
Okay... We are going to need a LOT of lego bricks. Donations? :3

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
first I was like. Wow, this is cool.

Then it MOVED.

And I was like.

fuck yeah.

Athol

Sep 15, 2010
halo3rulzer said:
Thats what he's probably working on right now.

Koios

Jul 28, 2010
It's awesomeness reminds me of some of the awesomeness I saw when that British guy built a life size house out of legos

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
I can really only describe this as "Holy SHIT this is AWESOME!"

It'll probably be at least a week's building time for me if I had the plans... Heck; probably even a month!

I'll need it as a set though... I do NOT have enough bricks for that!

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
arc1991 said:

Seriously i hope he creates more stuff...AT-AT anyone? hell even a Super Star Destroyer or Death Star!
THe AT-AT already has an officially released model by Lego(that really walks, albeit not very well) and a version of both death stars, a play-type one of the first death star and a collecters display model of the second death star.

However, the Executor hasn't been done yet, and I would LOVE to see a Super Star Destroyer, especially if it was built to scale with the already released Star Destroy model.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Wow.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Lego decided to pay this guy for his design, then sell it.

'Cause this is about the best-looking, most epic Lego set I've ever seen. (Yes, even better than the scale-model aircraft carrier)

Logic 0

Aug 28, 2009
Now all he has to do is build a death star then my life will be complete.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
"Wait, what's that? A transport. I'm saved. Over here! Hey! Hey! Help! Please, help!"

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Holy crap! I hope to see more of this guy's awesomeness.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
halo3rulzer said:
EternalFacepalm said:
halo3rulzer said:
Let's see... it takes 3.5 million for a 2-story house... ...

Carry the 50 billion...

Yeah... You'll need a lot!

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
A thing of beauty is a joy for ever

or as King Foltest put it: "this i like!"

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
doggie015 said:
halo3rulzer said:
EternalFacepalm said:
halo3rulzer said:
Let's see... it takes 3.5 million for a 2-story house... ...

Carry the 50 billion...

Yeah... You'll need a lot!
Well if everyone donated 10 bricks& I do mean everyone, should get enough to finish this one // I'm guess with modern tech it should only take about three generations to finish.

-M

Ruairi iliffe

Sep 13, 2010
Damnit, Cant watch the vid as its not watchible over here in germany >.<

Checked out the flicker page, looks awesome none the less.

Mr Shrike

Aug 13, 2010
This is genuinely incredible.

Usually I'd make a quip about someone having too much time on their hands, but this is totally what I'd be doing if I could!

CAPTCHA - foregu ware:

Sp3ratus

Apr 11, 2009
That is seriously awesome. Makes me want to start building with Lego again, but then I remember that I suck at it and could never build something as awesome as that. Seriously, do want! Lego should pick this up and I would buy it, without the slighest hesitation.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
UK
Clearly there isn't anything that can be built from Lego? I mean first there was that Normandy ship, the Spartan armour and now this. This is why Lego had remained number 1 in top 100 toys (well depending on which show or websites).

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
*adds this to chirstmas list in boldm underlined, all in caps with a few exclamation points*
*adds it again and again and again*

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
God he is brave to move it around on such a narrow table. I'd be terrified of droping it...

This is really awesome, love to see more creations like this like a star destroyer. Or some non-star wars stuff. Like a lego normandy :D

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
...Awesome. It is beautiful.

So he going to do next, a Death Star or AT-AT walker?

JasonBurnout16

Oct 12, 2009
As soon as it moved I was like "Drive it off the tablee!" That explains why I never built anything like this.

But yer genuinely cool stuff. Nice job.

Shio

Jun 4, 2011
EternalFacepalm said:
halo3rulzer said:
Seriously, though, this is amazing.
A Lego universe - a Legoverse, if you will - within the universe. The making of low-rent sci-fi movies right there!

OT: I get the sense it's cool, but I'm not really feelin' it.

JasonBurnout16 said:
As soon as it moved I was like "Drive it off the tablee!" That explains why I never built anything like this.

But yer genuinely cool stuff. Nice job.
Lmao. Me too. *high five*

Feb 28, 2008
"Unfortunately, MarshalBanana83 doesn't have any other Lego creations on display via his YouTube channel"

Probably because he's spent the last 10 years of his life building this behemoth! But seriously, I love attention to detail and craftsmanship; well done to this guy!

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
That's the most awesome thing I've seen today! That thing makes me want to see if I still have my legos somewhere!

A.Balthazor

Mar 5, 2008
I'm not sure I'd spend nine months of my time to have it quite so close to the edge of the table.

Lord Kloo

Jun 7, 2010
Just to throw it out there.. Does anyone remember the actual Lego sand crawler that they had on sale? Seems to have gone off sale and is probably in one of my catalogs somewhere but I can't be bothered to look..
But yeah its pretty damned awesome, and then it moved without being man-handled as is usual.. mind blown..
I think someone should build the internet out of Lego that would be impressive.. and would probably break the fabric of reality.. but hey you'd still have the internet in Lego form..

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I love how it lifts up the cargo with the Jawa, and the sloooowly slinks into the darkness.

The detail on this thing is truely incredible. I almost thought it was painted until it zoomed in.

Having this as a child would make you King of the Sandbox. Hands-down.

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
Yep, it moves about as fast as a sandcrawler; the fact it moves at all is a remarkable feat of lego engineering, impressive, most impressive.

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Aw... my brain parsed that as '10,000 Piece Lego Spice Harvester' and I got really excited x.x

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
wait wait wait, its remote controlled too?? awesomeness, you have a new benchmark

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Beware of small children, curious visitors and any sorts of pets!

OT: That's pretty amazing

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
I can't be the only one who watched it get closer to the end of the table and just wondered what would happen if it kept moving forward.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
Eh. James May built an entire house to scale out of lego bricks. I am unimpressed.

Logarithmic Limbo

Mar 13, 2011
I see your sandcrawler, and raise you Erik Varszegi's Venator class republic Star Destroyer... :p

http://www.fbtb.net/images/RSD1.jpg

http://www.fbtb.net/images/RSD12.jpg

Story and more images at http://www.fbtb.net/features/interview-erik-varszegi/

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
I longer deserve to call myself a Lego nerd. That is far to epic for me to even come close too.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Mind=Blown.

Lego is damn awesome and so is his wonderful invention. There should be a 'Lego Model of the Year' award!

kuyo

Dec 25, 2008
Behold, the lego house.

http://cdn.dornob.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/lego-house.jpg
http://www.droidsharkpodcast.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Lego-House-001.jpeg

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Poisoned Al said:
Who here was waiting for it to fall off the table?
Yep.. so waiting for the controls to jam and it to drive clean off the table... and into 10,000 pieces.

Much as i love this model, i'd love to see it in the daily drop.

Lerxst

Mar 30, 2008
Recreating copy-written material out of patented toy... I don't see a future in this.

AntiChrist

Jul 17, 2009
As cool as it is, it must be kind of sad for the people finishing this project. I mean, what more does life has to offer? Nothing really beats building a MOTOR DRIVEN Sand Crawler. It's pretty much downhill from here... :(

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
Lego should try to get permission to put this in their showroom. The capital building in front of their headquarters has ceased to be as impressive now.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
arc1991 said:

*Puts on EPIC FACE*

Challenge Accepted!

I shall construct the Death Star as Imperial Ships and Tie Fighters are locked in a grueling battle.

It will be Magnificent!

Mythnomer

Aug 15, 2008
AntiChrist said:
As cool as it is, it must be kind of sad for the people finishing this project. I mean, what more does life has to offer? Nothing really beats building a MOTOR DRIVEN Sand Crawler. It's pretty much downhill from here... :(
There's plenty left to do, like build a desert environment for it to drive around in. They'd need to go at least that far to catch up to crazy lego builders like the following lego legend.

http://www.geekologie.com/2008/12/60000_piece_lego_hoth_battle_d.php

Flickr photostream:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Madara XIII said:
arc1991 said:

*Puts on EPIC FACE*

Challenge Accepted!

I shall construct the Death Star as Imperial Ships and Tie Fighters are locked in a grueling battle.

It will be Magnificent!
I have the Tie Fighters...Now if only i could find the instruction Manuel to build them again :L

Fusionxl

Oct 25, 2009
That'sssss a nice lego sandcrawler you have there. Would be a shame if something were to happen to it.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
I can't be the only one who winced every time it got to the edge of the table...

But still, awesome! *goes to find more lego*

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
i found a single lego piece yesterday on the pool deck. i was so happy. now i am depressed.