Behold the Appropriately Angry Warhammer 40k: Space Marine Box Art

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Behold the Appropriately Angry Warhammer 40k: Space Marine Box Art

You don't need to know Warhammer 40k to know that this is a game about killing lots of evil green aliens.

For all its popularity amongst the tabletop gaming crowd - and the people who enjoy Relic's rather entertaining RTS games [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/5820-Review-Warhammer-40k-Dawn-of-War-II] - Warhammer 40k isn't as well-known a series these days as some other franchises about burly men in power armor fighting aliens might be.

But you really don't need to know anything about Warhammer 40k to appreciate the box art for Relic's upcoming third-person shooter Warhammer 40k: Space Marine. I personally couldn't give three hoots about 40k myself, but this box art really sums up everything I (and you) need to know about the game:

1.) You are a very angry man who sweats testosterone.

2.) You have a cool suit of power armor and a chainsaw sword.

3.) There are also very angry green aliens, and you can tell they're evil because they have sharp pointy teeth.

4.) Kill the hell out of those sons-of-bitches.

There's no more, there's no less. You can see some faded-out architecture in the back, but that's all, really. There aren't any obtrusive group shots awkwardly shoehorned in, there aren't any mysterious markings or images in an attempt to be symbolic and artistic - there's none of that. There is just a man and his chainsaw sword leaping at evil aliens to kill them all.

Frankly, it's so pure it almost makes me want to cry.

(Via GameInformer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/05/24/warhammer-40k-space-marine-box-art-revealed.aspx])

i am not god

Dec 6, 2007
Purely awesome, still a shame that they changed the THQ logo from the manliness it was to that.

Nobby

Nov 13, 2009
Grumble Grumble.... stupid ultrasmurf grumble.

That aside, looks good and the game play looks to be turning out nicely. I might have to grab this for the dust gathering Xbox.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
It's not so bad - except I never really thought the Space Marines were good guys. They were over-religious zealots, and their answer to an uncivilised planet was to burn everything on it.
The Orks were at least honest about being murderous all the time.

Joe Deadman

Jan 9, 2010
Nice box art very pretty, too bad i'll probably be getting this through steam so no pretty art for me D:

Oh well i'm not that bothered.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
I kinda like it in its own way, but what happened to the awesome group shot one? The one that THQ was plastering around all the advertisements?

This one:

;)

Actually, mentioning that, I'm wondering if this confirms they're shifting away from the whole "4 man band" focus they had going? Are you just one guy now? Is multiplayer still confirmed? RAGGHHHH SPECULATION!

Still, I'm curious about how it will fair as a box art...that Space Marine is posed kind of awkwardly...though I can't help but like it...

Findlebob

Mar 24, 2011
Thyunda said:
It's not so bad - except I never really thought the Space Marines were good guys. They were over-religious zealots, and their answer to an uncivilised planet was to burn everything on it.
But thats the principle of all religion.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
ok, now that is one badass piece of artwork. and its cool to see a cover that´s honest about what´s inside the box. spacemarines ftw!

Viewtiful Dan

Apr 19, 2010
That is some impressive box art. I never paid attention to the Warhammer series but after seeing the box art and some gameplay, it looks like it will be a fun game as you show the green dudes around Rapeville.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Man, I want a game where you play as orcs.

... or a mod for mount and blade thats warhammer themed. I would LOVE that.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
dogstile said:
Man, I want a game where you play as orcs.

... or a mod for mount and blade thats warhammer themed. I would LOVE that.
That would be amazing. I'd totally buy a game where I could play as a Warboss leading a WAAAAGH. 'twould be beyond awesome.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
At the same time however I think that purity of presentation is what has prevented this universe from getting more attention or becoming as well known as it should be. Half the reason why "Warhammer 40k" has the fan base that it does is because of the ridiculously deep lore, truthfully I think it's probably the most well developed science fiction universe out there, for similar reasons for the reason "The Forgotten Realms" is the most well realized fantasy settings out there... it's that minutae that make it seem like a real world no matter how ridiculous the premise. Warhammer 40k is detailed down to minor appliances and trivial prayers, The Forgotten Realms is detailed down to regional micro brews. You can discuss lore on either setting for hours if you know them.

The messed up thing is that whether other games try and create an illusion of depth for sales purposes, a game like 40k doesn't need to rely on an illusion, yet it goes for the "look at this incredibly pure and shallow presentation" that other products seem to be avoiding. Sometimes I wonder if Games Workshop really has any idea on how to promote their products. If any game universe could support an ARG based on game lore coming from some wierd symbol or something in the advertising, this is the one.