Behold the Next Generation of Final Fantasy

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
Inflated budgets...overemphasis on graphics...increasingly sucky characters...where do they come from? And where are they headed?

SOMEONE SHOULD DESTROY THEM ALL!

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
Yea graphics are good....but its limited gameplay is the result. Think about FF13 (looked amazing right?) the combat was "press buttons to fill up a queue and watch character use all those abilities at once" scripted movements that you don't control, only put commands for. Its no different from turned based combat. When you're walking around though.....its just that. Walking. The characters can only walk. Even jumping is only done when standing on a node and pressing a button. NPCs stand there and wait for you to talk to them, environments are static. Every important movement is done in a cutscene. Its nice, but having the lack of input makes for a very unengaging game.

DVS BSTrD said:
*Sigh* Why is it always the Ditsy one that gets the mystical power?
Because cute. Also to put in some BS theme about being pure and not being able to be corrupted by the enemies and use powers for good. Same stuff we always get really.

Mygaffer said:
DVS BSTrD said:
*Sigh* Why is it always the Ditsy one that gets the mystical power?
What did she do that was ditzy? Except have a vagina?
Overly caring, not taking a firefight seriously, moaning/crying/whining/wincing all the time, being clumsy in her movements and tripping over herself. You're part of a cult and you have to cry and wince every time you use lightning against an ARMED ASSAILANT? Its the typical cute anime girl that we know Sqeenix for. If it was a monotone android female like Lightning then it wouldn't be much of a problem.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
KingdomFantasyXIII said:
Yes it's pretty, but what about gameplay? What about a small story to go with this tech demo? These are the real questions that need to be answered Square. FF13 graphics were fine as the next big step in graphic design.

I liked FF13, but after FF10, none of the other games interested me whatsoever. FF11 was boring, FF12 made me want to destroy it and FF14 I did not care for as soon as I heard it was going to be an "MMORPG" (way before the whole disaster happen).

Richardplex said:
Eh, FF13 is still the most beautiful looking game for me. Can't put my finger on why, character design maybe (for the faces). Also, there is absolutely no need to make another engine when the crystal engine looks that good. Stop wasting money Square Enix.
Agreed. Stop wasting money on graphics and start on the other 2 things that make a game good: Story and gameplay.
Yeah, all tech demos should have gameplay... You do know what a tech demo is, right? This is not a preview or a teaser for an upcoming game. This is just a demonstration of what the engine they most likely will use for the next game is capable of.

OT: It looks pretty, but this is clearly far too much for any console out now so the next game wont look this good unless it's released for PC and then only the best will manage this. I don't see a reason to get my hopes up.

SuperBelkar

Jan 20, 2012
Ugh, You know what, if this game doesn't rewrite the way we play and experience games for all eternity in a good way, I say Squareenix is beyond redeeming, short of giving me all my wasted money, effort and time back. I'm tired of being insulted by their crap, even if I don't play their crummy games. The fact that they aren't even trying to make a game compelling anymore except through its graphics is both a slap to the face and a big fak you to its audience. The only way I can see them in a better light is if one day they came out and said "Lol, we trolled you, U mad" to everyone. At least then I'll know it's okay to laugh about the whole thing.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Did you have your eyes closed during the part when her magic didn't work and she got her master killed? I'm pretty sure her just having a vagina didn't cause all that.
To be fair, none of the other lightning-wielding-goons seemed to be having much more success. It was like they all had faulty starter-motors or something.

If I was Mr-In-Charge, I would have demanded that everyone practice their sparky-magic before attempting the clearly-unpopular dragon-summoning ritual. There will be no interruption by armed local militants on my watch. *shakes gnarled fist*

OT: Beautiful tech demo. I like a lot.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
The problem is, if they try too hard and overtax the platform they bring games out on, you end up with:

Not enough RAM to keep more than a dozen models on screen!
Can't allow the player to move around too much 'cos it takes too much power to render more than one side of a distant object!
Can't have too much variety of models at once 'cos RAM!

You end up with levels that are one long corridor, encounters with only a handful of samey type of foes at once, and boss battles that require half minute load times.

YOU SEE THE FUCKING PROBLEM, SQUEENIX?

Xelien

Oct 22, 2008
Lots of people complaining on how its "just" pretty and how no gameplay was shown, so its useless. Sorry if this sound very ungamer like than most of groups but the graphics by them selves are enough to get me extremely interested.

People hear Final Fantasy and it has an extremely polarizing effect, but I don't see what's the use of complaining on the graphics of a tech demo. That's what they're for to show off the art though the game engine they're using, they don't usually show any gameplay. That's what gameplay trailers are for, and considering this isn't even the actual game then, no you won't see anything.

I for one is excited for next gen will bring to all the graphics in future games.

AgentShiver

Sep 4, 2011
I'm wondering if that drink is a potion. It certainly looked like it, and it's interesting to see a potion's effect (the scars disappearing, the bullet forced out of her healing arm) with better graphics.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Even though it is just a tech demo, it is kinda nice to see a Square game where everyone isn't dressed like they just escaped from the circus.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
If this is the ground work for FF15, the game will be done around 2020 at the earliest. The PS3 and ESPECIALLY the Xbox360 can not push this sort of fidelity. Even if, hypothetically, they could, the 360 verison of the game would be a 20 DVD set. Hell they had to hack 13 to pieces to fit it onto 4.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
antipunt said:
so it's confirmed? FF15 will come out in 8 years? >_>
They'll start on that as soon as Kingdom Hearts 4 is finish. Not 3, mind you, 4.

Magicite Spring

Apr 15, 2012
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Not a shock, 10-2 was the last game to have fun combat. It didn't do well in most areas, but the combat was fun. Unlike the RTS XII, or the Human Control Not Required XIII.
I hate it when people say that the combat in XIII is just button pushing. Most of the bosses in the game will stomp the entire party into the ground if you just press X the whole time. This is why I loved XIII's gameplay. On the surface, it looks like the game does everything for you. But in reality, there is an whole lot of strategy involved. XIII's biggest problem was its long looooong intro, which hid everything good about it till late in the game. Like the characters. People often say they don't like them but I thought all the XIII characters were great because they actually had character growth. Didn't like Vanille at the beginning? Well, at the end she is more likable since she grows as a character. Same with all the other characters. But again the games takes too long to get into it so people miss out on that.

OT: That looks amazing, but I'm not going to get excited till they announce something. For now, I'll just wait for Verses XIII

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
Square Enix: "Oh hey, everyone. While you've been taking the piss about the linearity of FFXIII and claiming the end of good Final Fantasy games, we've been making an engine and graphics system that puts all of your current favorite titles to shame. Funny, huh?"

You have my attention, SE.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
I spy, with my little eye. Terrorist infested slums and brown.

I'm glad Final Fantasy finally made it to the next generation of gaming.'

And I honestly don't care if that was "Real time" because we still didn't see what gameplay looks like.

OrpheusTelos

Mar 24, 2012
Gizmo1990 said:
10-2 was a kick in the balls but I forgave them. I saw the trailer for FF12 and was very excited, and that was an even harder kick in the balls but still I forgave them. I saw the trailer for FF 13 and I was beyond excited and that game grew arms, got a Cricket bat and beat the shit out of me.

I have no more faith in Square Enix anymore. In fact now I think about it I have never liked a Square Enix game. The last Final Fantasy I liked was 10 and that was the last game made by Squaresoft before they merged with Enix.
*goes to Final Fantasy thread*

*sees obligatory whiny posts*

Yep. Typical day in the webz.

By the way, awesome tech demo. Can't wait to see what's next.

Moffman

May 21, 2009
Migratingchimp said:
If they would just go back to actual Gameplay the FF series could be good again, but instead they want to see how much they can make you pay for a movie with basically just quick time events.Not did people fall for it once, but twice with the purchase of FFXIII2. So for those turds that bought the second one thanks for ruining the series because Square is just going to continue raping it, like Speilberg did to Indiana, and Lucas does to Star Wars, with no lube a spiked fetish dildo and not even a kiss on the cheek afterwards.
totally disagree, XIII-2 was the best since IX in my opinion but yeah XIII was bad.

AlwaystheUnlucky

Oct 5, 2010
Hm, it seems that Square Enix is coming out of the final stages of its awkward puberty only to emerge as a beautiful woman.