Behold the Official PlayStation Move Trailer

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Behold the Official PlayStation Move Trailer

The PlayStation motion controller finally has a name and an official debut trailer.

Yep, we were right: It's the "PlayStation Move" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99024-Sony-Registers-PlayStation-Move-for-Motion-Controller]. The merits of the name are sure to be a topic of discussion and debate going forward. On the one hand, let's start with the good: It's simple, it communicates the idea clearly, and it neatly matches the "PlayStation Eye."

On the other hand, it just isn't that memorable - it's not "Wait, what?" like "Wii," and it's not cool-sounding like Natal or Arc. Hell, even Gem would have been a bit more evocative (albeit outrageous). Plus, it's going to make writing news posts seem potentially even more grammatically clunky.

The above trailer does show off what the Move can do, and it certainly bears mentioning that Sony's Wii Sports equivalent looks a hell of a lot better than Nintendo's (duh), but is that really a selling point for the casual gaming marketplace that this is designed to capture?

Sony needs to really stand up and make the case for itself that the Move is unique and different from the Wii + Motion Plus. That's how the Move is going to succeed (if at all) - I'm just not sure that it's done that yet.

The PlayStation Move is going to be out on shelves in Fall '10 (that's this year, in case you'd forgotten) and should really just have been named the PlayStation Kevin Butler.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
PlayStation Move... meh. That's one extremely bland name.

The only thing remaining is to hope that controller is precise. Then it could be useful (as in, not suck).

Fanboys of Yahtzee will be all over this in three... two... one...

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Wait, did they just try to insinuate that the Move can do FPS? Because I could have sworn a saw a generic WWII shooter in their list of game videos.

And what's with the Monchichi monkey-thing that was being groomed?

Zepren

The Funnyman
Sep 2, 2009
Hello Playstation Wii. If it really is more accurate etc then the Wii, it should be all good but otherwise, it just looks like the Wii through and through.

Also I don't like the name at all. sounds aimed very at the casual gamer. Which i'm not saying is bad. It's just Natal sounds more universal.

Gah, sony, you used to be so cool. what happened? Did I grow up or did you?

cavannarose

Mar 10, 2010
Personally, I think that the Move is hideously ugly. And with the giant ball on the end... it looks like a sex toy more than a game remote.

kikimaru024

Jan 12, 2010
I'm completely underwhelmed by this "controller".

I think it's probably because I PREFER having big, 30mm buttons to bash while playing.
But also because this controller stinks of desperation.

cavannarose

Mar 10, 2010
xmetatr0nx said:
cavannarose said:
Personally, I think that the Move is hideously ugly. And with the giant ball on the end... it looks like a sex toy more than a game remote.
Damn it you beat me to it. It does look like a sex toy! A glowing one, although meh, ive given up on my consoles. Good luck with that sony.
I think the very worst part is, that even Nintendo avoided making theirs look like one. We expect more from Playstation, and they just failed. What they should have done is look for something beyond an uglier wiimote. You know, stayed relevant? Move the video game world forward? Or do we not do that anymore...

smithy1234

Dec 12, 2008
Could we just drop this whole motion sensitive movement in gaming? I want the normal handheld controller to prevail at the end of all this.

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
I'm on the fence with this one as yet.

If it turns out to just be a gimmick, like the Wiimote, then I'll write it off with the rest of you.

But if it turns out to be able to actually augment traditional gameplay without resorting to stupid minigames or psuedo-QTEs, it could actually improve certain gameplay elements. The fact that it's much more accurate (or claims to be) than the Wiimote also works in it's favour.

P.S.: Beat you to it guys :D

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
No Kevin Butler = Me Not Caring

Honestly...it looks like a uglier version of the Wiimote and Nunchuk.

And that song is terrible!

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/quiz-wiimote-or-playstation-move/a-2010031018145354069

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Ok, putting aside the name issue...because, honestly, I don't think it's all that bad...that was totally a Wii commercial. From the look of the people playing the games, to the decor of the room...make the controllers white instead of black, and you could barely tell the difference.

Is Sony deliberately trying to equate the Move with the Wii in consumers' minds? Odd choice, in my opinion.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Ok, putting aside the name issue...because, honestly, I don't think it's all that bad...that was totally a Wii commercial. From the look of the people playing the games, to the decor of the room...make the controllers white instead of black, and you could barely tell the difference.

Is Sony deliberately trying to equate the Move with the Wii in consumers' minds? Odd choice, in my opinion.
Umm.. yes?

They know most dedicated gamers are not going to be very interested in the kind of stuff they've been showing so far, and the Move itself is basically just a grab at the Wii fan base, so that really is who they are aiming this at.