Behold The (Possible) Steampunk Origin of Darth Vader

AWDMANOUT

Jan 4, 2010
theComposer said:
The black one on the left reminds me of the Pyro from TF2 as much as it does Darth Vader, but the one on the right screams C-3PO.
I agree with this.
But you know, Lucas is sort of a creative guy... I mean, that scene with Anakin and Padme in episode II....

Yeah, he totally ripped off those masks.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
Crazy coincidence.

NEXT QUESTION! (I mean with all the behind the scenes stuff done over the years, don't you think this would have come up as an anecdote? Isn't C3PO based off Maria from Metropolis anyway?)

jack583

Oct 26, 2010
emeraldrafael said:
tahts cool. WW1 gas helmets definately sound... well logical at least. Its all speculation, but its kinda odd that Lucas took so much influence from World wars.
"world war"
"star wars"
i'll admit that is stupid logic but hey it's for a laugh!

JusticarPhaeton

Jul 29, 2009
As posters above have mentioned, it's prolly the fact that these two concepts drew from the idea of a tribal mask in the first place.

shufflemonkey16

Mar 7, 2008
I say coincidence, if even that.
The inspiration for C3P0's design definitely came from the robot in Metropolis and not from a primitive French gas mask. I'm not sure where Vader's design comes from, but the only real similarities between that mask and Vader's helmet is that they're both black and they both go on a person's head.

ranyilliams

Dec 26, 2008
Actually c-3po is based on a robot in the 1927 film "Metropolis" by fritz lang:

http://i35.tinypic.com/2ngcuts.jpg

And Darth Vader was based on an outfit from the 1940's film "The Invisible man Returns" in the film scotland yard had to use smoke to fill an entire building to find him, and since it was raining they were wearing rain coats. when they filled the building with smoke they were required to wear breathing masks so they wouldn't suffocate. also the helmets scotland yard wears looks exactly like the top of Darth Vaders helmet. these elements all combine to create a mirror image of Darth Vader...

here are a couple of screenshots from the film i took myself:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_qo-vUff8LJw/TQmtBpIdpFI/AAAAAAAAABQ/zegCpVHcN6s/s800/Screen%20shot%202010-12-16%20at%2012.57.35%20AM.png

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_qo-vUff8LJw/TQmtBxNksUI/AAAAAAAAABY/L3WXY1KThIA/s800/Screen%20shot%202010-12-16%20at%2012.59.28%20AM.png

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_qo-vUff8LJw/TQmtBw1kH9I/AAAAAAAAABc/gRwlyLHAgLE/s800/Screen%20shot%202010-12-16%20at%2012.59.32%20AM.png

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Hm, I can't really say if it's a coincidence or not just yet, but it could very well be true that he got the idea from these things.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Must admit - this is pretty awesome! Really wish I could buy a Steampunk SW game or see a Steampunk SW movie! Would be awesome!

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Looks kinda s
Zer_ said:
I find these to be way scary.

Rescue Worker: "I'm here to save you."

Burning Man: "Okay, but will it cost me my soul?!?!"
This. Looks creepy...

And i wouldnt want to be rescued by someone that wore that.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
The brass one makes me thing of oldchool Doctor Who Cybermen. In fact both masks make me think Doctor Who rather than Star Wars

Lance Arrow

Apr 7, 2010
Zer_ said:
I find these to be way scary.

Rescue Worker: "I'm here to save you."

Burning Man: "Okay, but will it cost me my soul?!?!"

I'm afraid it's too late for him already, at least as far as getting him out unharmed AND saving his soul goes.

Tears of Blood

Jul 7, 2009
No. I doubt that the characters were based on the masks. They hardly even look like them, really. Just the same color, and a mask. >_>

Not even a coincidence, I don't see how anyone gets "Darth Vader" out of the mask on the left.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Im fairly sure Darth Vaders look was based on Samurai gear as its also the basis for much of the story.

Still, thanks tons for the awesome new site I will be delving into later today. God I LOVE crazy prototypes, sooooooo much character and imagination.... and technical flaws BUT HEY thats what trial and errors for and thats all part of the fun right.... until someone chokes to death on smoke....

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
emeraldrafael said:
tahts cool. WW1 gas helmets definately sound... well logical at least. Its all speculation, but its kinda odd that Lucas took so much influence from World wars.
Who would of thought that someone born in 1944 would be influenced by world wars.