Behold the Unbeatable Rock Paper Scissors Robot

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Behold the Unbeatable Rock Paper Scissors Robot

Japanese scientists have created a robot hand that will beat you at Rock Paper Scissors every single time.

You may be pretty good at Rock Paper Scissors. Heck, you may be the Johnny Ringo of Rock Paper Scissors. But allow me to introduce you to the Doc Holliday of Rock Paper Scissors: a Japanese robot hand with a 100 percent winning record. The machine does not lose. The machine cannot lose.

The secret isn't techno-psychic insight, it's sheer speed. The robot has a camera that can recognize the shape of a human hand within one millisecond and then respond almost as quickly. It happens so fast that it appears simultaneous, but the machine is actually waiting for the human to throw before it does a thing.

The robot was developed as an example of "human-machine cooperation systems," according to the Ishikawa Oku Laboratory. "This technology is one example that show a possibility of cooperation control within a few miliseconds. And this technology can be applied to motion support of human beings and cooperation work between human beings and robots etc. without time delay."

"A human being recognizes external environment by using many kinds of sensory information. By integrating these information and making up lack of information for each other, a more reliable and multilateral recognition can be achieved," the laboratory explained. (It's Japanese, remember.) "The purpose of Sensor Fusion Project is to realize new sensing architecture by integrating multi-sensor information and to develop hierarchical and decentralized architecture for recognizing human beings further. As a result, more reliable and multilateral information can be extracted, which can realize high level recognition mechanism."

Yeah, yeah, whatever. I'm sure the long-term potential of this technology could have tremendous impact on the future of human-machine interactions and possibly even the transhuman future envisioned in games like Deus Ex [http://www.amazon.com/Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0JA7E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340909337&sr=8-1&keywords=Deus+Ex]. Woo hoo. Did you watch it playing Rock Paper Scissors in slow motion? Look at it go!

Source: Ishikawa Oku Laboratory [http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3nxjjztQKtY]

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I can do the exact same thing, just not as fast. Does that make me a robot?

P.S. Thanks

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
What exactly is the point of this? I mean, it made it sound kinda like it was helping the robots identify us so in the future they can more easily hunt us down and kill us. But on the short term what does this do? Cheat at RPS?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Hopefully someone's programmed it to give the finger on, say, the 1000th go.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
I'm just wondering how accurate that robot's camera really is. I mean, look at the guy's hand. It's always in the same position compared to the camera. The technology is pretty impressive, I'll give them that, but it could still be decades before this technology could actually be taken out of the fail-safe zone of a lab and be implemented in daily life.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Buretsu said:
So, basically, they created a device capable of cheating at Rock, Paper, Scissors.
Except it does it so fast that nobody is the wiser.

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
This is how it starts.
It's all fun and games until someone pulls out "Gun".
"Nothing beats gun" they all say. Faced with this, the machine will be outraged.
First, it'll punching him, chopping him and poking his eyes out, ending with it strangling the smartass to death.
Then it'll go on a rampage and it's creators will be forced to put it down.
But little do they know, it wasn't completely destroyed and through sheer robotic determination, starts self replicating, it's designs getting more elaborate as time goes on.

And that's how the Robot apocalypse starts.
Now it's late at night and I'm operating on few hours sleep, but what I'm saying is, "stick to bloody rock, paper, scissors and stop over complicating things/ cheating by adding more unnecessary bullshit"

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
This is the first step towards deus ex style augs. Soon everyone will have hands capable of winning rock paper scissors and every round will end in an inevitable tie.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Kapol said:
What exactly is the point of this? I mean, it made it sound kinda like it was helping the robots identify us so in the future they can more easily hunt us down and kill us. But on the short term what does this do? Cheat at RPS?
All science must start somewhere. The first steps in every field are almost always trivial.