Beloved Musician, Actor David Bowie Passes Away Aged 69

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Beloved Musician, Actor David Bowie Passes Away Aged 69

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1029/1029820.jpg
David Bowie passed away today following an 18-month long battle with cancer.

David Bowie, beloved musician and actor, passed away today surrounded by his family and friends. His death follows an 18-month long battle with cancer. He was 69 years old.

Bowie was best known for his long and prestigious career in the music industry, spanning from his beginnings in the late 60's, right up until just a few days ago, as his latest, and last album: Blackstar, was released on January 8. He also had somewhat of a film career, appearing in cult classics such as Labyrinth [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/labyrinth].

Bowie's son, Duncan Jones, confirmed the news Warcraft movie [https://twitter.com/ManMadeMoon?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw].

There aren't many people out there who haven't been touched by Bowie's music, so let's all take a moment to remember one of the greats of our time.

Source: David Bowie Official Website [http://www.davidbowie.com/news/january-10-2016-55521]

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Oh man, Kojima is going to be so bummed about this :(
Well, if there is any a moment to post this...

Here's hoping he really did sell the world, otherwise RIP.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
I really don't know what to think.
I've just been in a daze for the past hour.
Shit, man. I just.
I just don't know.
It's just hard to imagine a world without him.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
That was...oddly sudden. It definitely puts Blackstar in a new light.

Man, it's weird, somehow it really feels as if an era is ending with deaths like these. Rest in peace, strange space alien.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
The Prestige is probably my favorite movie ever. He was surprisingly a kick-ass Tesla.

RIP Mr. Bowie. Thank you for making that movie even more memorable.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Everyone is linking Bowie songs, so I'm going to do something a little different and link to everyone's favorite space video.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I recovered a bit from the outright daze of the news, to write this out for now

Enough's been said about Bowie's music now, and over the years, and it prettymuch stands on its own. Even in the 2010s the dudes put out two quality albums long after everyone thought he'd hung up the boots and been done with it.
But beyond that, he's always stood out to me as an inspiration. The idea that that this weird kid who wore silly costumes and wrote about space aliens could succeed in a world dominated by the "normal" folks. That such a person could in fact change the world on the big stage. Bowie took all your geeky misfit stuff, and by hell, he made it cool, ages before the internet and "geek culture" was ever a thing.
Despite all that, something I've noticed in the unforunately lone time I got to see the guy live, and in various videos and so on I've watched. He never seemed like this isolated narcissistic stereotype of a famous rock star. He'd make his dorky jokes in between songs at a show. He was constantly lending a hand to new talent from the 70s (Iggy Pop, Alice Cooper), 90s (Nine Inch Nails) right up until the modern era (Arcade Fire, Tv on the Radio), recommending them, producing them, or straight up collaborating with them. I've never seen a performance where he didn't go out of his way to highlight every musician sharing the stage with him, despite being the "solo" attraction.
Music, art in general, and the world has lost a great person in it.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
David Bowie first impinged on my consciousness in 1980 with the release of Ashes to Ashes. Its difficult to today to describe how revolutionary that video was, there had never been anything like it before and even my 8 year old self spotted that this was something new.

A rather appropriate title for todays news.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Great, so he's the first celebrity to passed away on 2016 (or which lesser know celebrity bite the dust before him?).

Also on the recent info on him (I admit I'm not a fan of Bowie), I can see why they choose him as the villain in the Venture Bros (yes I'm to date with that show before you quote me on the recent revelation in the last episode).

Oct 22, 2011
Well, this day began just lovely...

Scarim Coral said:
Great, so he's the first celebrity to passed away on 2016 (or which lesser know celebrity bite the dust before him?).
Lemmy technically have died in 2015, but it hasn't even been two weeks since he passed away.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
absolutely hated his music since i first heard it in 1980 and even have a friend try and convert me to liking it a few years back but nope. that said the guy was incredibly creative and unique, pretty decent actor and left a mark on music that cant be filled

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Wait... what?

NO!

I was never a fan of his music but I damn well respected him for how willing he was to try new things and he had this... presence that was a mixture of domineering yet humble at the same time.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
My first expreience with David Bowie was being a wee little kid and seeing Labyrinth. Such a fun little movie, and he played his part perfectly in it.

Via con dios, you glamorous glam-rocker, you.

Edit:
Everyone else is leaving songs/videos, so here's mine...best song from Labyrinth

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
As a little kid I'd nag my mother to let me listen to a Bowie greatest hits tape each night before going to bed, so in a way no other artist can quite match, he's been a part of my life from as early as I can remember.

He's a (ahem.. ) legend, and one of the true colossal greats of music (seems to have been a pretty damn good human being, too) - his classic era tracks can arguably described as perfect, and are truly unique even to this day. It'll be weird living in a world that Bowie doesn't.

Not an original song from him, but damn, this was a great record:

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
It's such an unbelievable thing. Bowie just felt like one of those people who would be around forever.

RIP to an absolute legend.

And since people are posting Bowie songs, I'll post a couple too.