Ben Affleck's Solo Batman Movie Has Its Villain

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Ben Affleck's Solo Batman Movie Has Its Villain

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1346/1346136.jpg

Batman has his villain for Ben Affleck's solo movie.

Earlier this morning, DC Comics [https://twitter.com/BenAffleck/status/770259217940746245] movie currently filming - which led to speculation that Deathstroke would be a villain in that, or at least be making a cameo appearance.

Well, Batman [http://www.thewrap.com/deathstroke-will-be-main-villain-in-ben-afflecks-batman-movie-exclusive/] movie. It is unknown at this point if anyone will join Deathstroke in terrorizing Gotham City, or if we'll get another one-on-one fight for The Bat.

Deathstroke first appeared in the comics in 1980 and has seen parallels drawn between him and Batman. He's one of the most popular comic book villains of all time, so this news should be celebrated by fans - a rare win for the DC Extended Universe.

Deathstroke most recently appeared on the television show Ezra Miller [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/arrow] in the movies - it's likely that the role will be recast.

The solo Batman movie doesn't currently have a release date, but best guesses put it as a 2019 release. The next movie in the DC Extended Universe is Wonder Woman, which will release on June 2, 2017.

Source: The Wrap [http://www.thewrap.com/deathstroke-will-be-main-villain-in-ben-afflecks-batman-movie-exclusive/]

[gallery=6440]

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
I thought the Batman film was in 2018?

Anyway on topic, At least the costume is spot on and he actually looks imposing, as aposed to a few characters in Suicide Squad... *Cough* Killer Croc *Cough*

hope we see more of the Joker as well.

CellShaded

Aug 8, 2009
Nice spoiler tag and then spoiler in the literal thumbnail for the article. May want to fix that for those really intent on avoiding spoilers. Maybe make it Batfleck or something.

As to the news, glad to hear it. Currently playing Arkham Origins and just fought against Deathstroke for the first time. Pretty exciting news.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
CellShaded said:
Nice spoiler tag and then spoiler in the literal thumbnail for the article. May want to fix that for those really intent on avoiding spoilers. Maybe make it Batfleck or something.

As to the news, glad to hear it. Currently playing Arkham Origins and just fought against Deathstroke for the first time. Pretty exciting news.
It's your own fault for looking slightly to the left after seeing the spoiler tag ;)

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Hmm... I'm actually OK with this. At least they are going for someone else than the usual faces. There's a reason why Joker, Catwoman and perhaps Scarecrow are featured so often, but I appreciate we're finally getting a new villain instead.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I'm hoping there's some truth to the rumors of bringing in the Red Hood in the Batfleck movie.
Bold choice; as a merc, I usually don't pin him as just a Batman villain, because he'll fight anybody for the right price. I figure he's hired muscle for whoever could be the Bigger Bad of the movie. But, if any one character is his nemesis, it would be Richard Grayson, whether he was Robin, Nightwing, or Batman.
CellShaded said:

Similarly, I'm still playing Arkham Knight and Deathstroke
takes over the Militia after Batman unmasks Jason Todd as the Knight

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Another Batman movie?

I know that Ben Affleck's Batman was one of the best things of Batman V. Superman, but come on DC! We have at least 4 Batman Theatrical Films in theaters in a 2 year period (The Aforementioned B v. S, The Killing Joke, The Lego Batman Movie and now this)! If they keep making Batman movies, people are going to stop seeing them sooner or later! They're milking Batman harder then Activision milks Call of Duty.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Mr.Mattress said:
Another Batman movie?

I know that Ben Affleck's Batman was one of the best things of Batman V. Superman, but come on DC! We have at least 4 Batman Theatrical Films in theaters in a 2 year period (The Aforementioned B v. S, The Killing Joke, The Lego Batman Movie and now this)! If they keep making Batman movies, people are going to stop seeing them sooner or later! They're milking Batman harder then Activision milks Call of Duty.
Theatrical would be a slight exaggeration. There's been countless animated Batman movies made over the years, unrelated to the proper film releases, and 99% of them are straight to DVD, The Killing Joke was an exception to this and also had a limited theatrical run, it certainly wasn't featured in any cinemas where I live. Same goes for the animated Lego movies, they're mostly straight to DVD.

OT: Hopefully Affleck has the balls to just say stop if WB tries to fuck up the movie. Snyder doesn't seem to care at this point, and just makes whatever movie is required of him, and then "fixes" it with his directors cut. Please, just stop making terrible movies and don't accept shit from the studios.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
Only problem I see here is Affleck already seemed too old to play Bats in BvS, and, yeah, they where trying to make him seem older, but still, if the movie comes out in 2019 he's gonna be almost 50....seems a bit old for an action hero, but then again I guess it's almost young compared to STalone/Schwartzeneger etc.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
I see Batfleck having personality in the JL teaser.
And now a villain that hasn't been in a movie yet, so there's no hanging comparisons other than the DCU cartoon version, who was solid but not "Victor Freese" quality.

You know what, this may deserve a chance.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
NLS said:
Mr.Mattress said:
Another Batman movie?

Theatrical would be a slight exaggeration. There's been countless animated Batman movies made over the years, unrelated to the proper film releases, and 99% of them are straight to DVD, The Killing Joke was an exception to this and also had a limited theatrical run, it certainly wasn't featured in any cinemas where I live. Same goes for the animated Lego movies, they're mostly straight to DVD.
Considering The Killing Joke still came to Theaters, even if it was limited, I still count it. Also, this Lego Batman Movie is coming to Theaters [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lego_Batman_Movie], since it's a spin-off of The Lego Movie.

My point is they are milking Batman dry, and I know Batman is a popular character, and one of the few Characters DC has any idea how to work with, but sooner or later people will get tired of Batman films. They need to stop making Batman films to allow the hero to properly rest and to allow for the next gen of Directors, Writers and Producers to make awesome Batman films. If they milk Batman so dry that only terrible films come out of him, then it could literally be decades before anyone touches Batman theatrically. You have to be careful with popular and iconic IP's.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
MCerberus said:
I see Batfleck having personality in the JL teaser.
And now a villain that hasn't been in a movie yet, so there's no hanging comparisons other than the DCU cartoon version, who was solid but not "Victor Freese" quality.

You know what, this may deserve a chance.
Arrow's version was pretty solid as well. Will be a challenge to beat that.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
YEEEEEEEEEEEESSSS!!! LOVE DEATHSTOKE!!!

Movie Bane was great and all in terms of hand to hand combat against Batman in the Dark Knight Rises but this I am looking forward too.

Please be good.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
Aw. I was kinda hoping they'd do Hush.

Deathstroke's...fine, I guess, considering that he's a ninja named Deathstroke the Terminator. Although people are legitimately going to get him confused with Deadpool. (Slade Wilson v. Wade Wilson, you guys)

Anyway. Chances are he'll be a henchboss for the main villain, like he is in the Arkham games.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Does Batman fight him by driving around in his car while Slade drives a tank and they just shoot at each other? No? You mean Batman is actually going to have to FIGHT one of the strongest mercenaries in hand-to-hand combat? Sounds good to me. (No, Arkham Knight, I still haven't forgiven you)

I am curious as to why it is Deathstroke though. He originally appeared as a Teen Titan's villain. Granted, he has since long branched out for there, but I wouldn't mind him at least mentioning the Titans in this movie.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Hmmm, I wonder what this means for Red Hood (if they are doing Under The Hood that is). Will he be someone that trains Red Hood? Will he be the crime lord's muscle that both Batman and Red Hood have to deal with (along with each other?) Both? Neither? Very curious.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
As much as I like Deathstroke, I can't help but associate him with the Titans. Oh well, they can still have Dr. Light if they ever get a full on theatrical film. I can't wait for more info on the upcoming Batman flick!